Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times

Advertisements

Looking for feedback from others who have tried to weigh the pros and cons of accepting a new job in a new state.

Background - I currently live in a rocky mountain state that affords me the opportunity to fish, explore, hike, golf and generally enjoy the outdoors. Don't care for winter as much anymore, but it is tolerable. I have an OK job with outstanding benefits. My biggest concern is the job appears to have limited job growth. I should also mention that I live in a smaller town with limited opportunities for someone with my background ane experience.

The Opportunity - I've been approached by a headhunter for a new job in Houston, Texas. While I don't have a problem with Texas, I do realize that it is a big change in lifestyle. The job is certainly a step above what I currently do with fantastic opportunities. I have made it past two phone interviews and the company wants me fly me down for an on-site interview.

Dilema - How do you put a value on location vs. new job? While I'm not totally happy in my position, I'm having a hard time considering a move to an area that will have limited opportunities for the other things in life I enjoy. The new job opportunity sounds great and the company also offers outstanding benefits.

When I rank all the pros and cons of taking the new job against location, family needs, etc. the numbers say stay where I'm at. My gut instict says to keep pursing the offer.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadTech View Post
Looking for feedback from others who have tried to weigh the pros and cons of accepting a new job in a new state.

Background - I currently live in a rocky mountain state that affords me the opportunity to fish, explore, hike, golf and generally enjoy the outdoors. Don't care for winter as much anymore, but it is tolerable. I have an OK job with outstanding benefits. My biggest concern is the job appears to have limited job growth. I should also mention that I live in a smaller town with limited opportunities for someone with my background ane experience.

The Opportunity - I've been approached by a headhunter for a new job in Houston, Texas. While I don't have a problem with Texas, I do realize that it is a big change in lifestyle. The job is certainly a step above what I currently do with fantastic opportunities. I have made it past two phone interviews and the company wants me fly me down for an on-site interview.

Dilema - How do you put a value on location vs. new job? While I'm not totally happy in my position, I'm having a hard time considering a move to an area that will have limited opportunities for the other things in life I enjoy. The new job opportunity sounds great and the company also offers outstanding benefits.

When I rank all the pros and cons of taking the new job against location, family needs, etc. the numbers say stay where I'm at. My gut instict says to keep pursing the offer.

How old are you?
Are you married?
Will this position qualify you for your "dream job" or get you closer to where you want to be in 5 years?
Will the job afford you the money/time to visit family in CO a few times a year?
If Houston is a bust, do you still have a solid network/relationships in place in CO that you could potentially get back with a few months of searching?
How stable is the company in Houston?
What do people who work there say about the culture?

It can be a gamble moving cross-country for a job. Just make sure it's a step in the right direction, and will afford you more flexibility later in life.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:

I'm of the belief that if something is meant to be, then no obstacles will block it. They're willing to PAY to MEET you and the job is everything you want. I would move.

Quote:

Go with your instincts. I'm sure there are some places in Texas where you can do some of the things you like. If not, then you can always take vacation days to enjoy them in your home state.

In the end, only YOU can decide what's best. Hope you make the right decision (which is to move ).

Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
If you were out of work I would think that relocating for a good job and sacrificing the current great location would be the responsible thing to do.
If the current job is suitable for taking care of your family I would talk to them about the move and make it a family decision as they would be going to Texas with you. There's nothing to lose by going for the interview, and there's no reason you can't ask at the interview about the opportunities for the kinds of recreation you enjoy there.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:

I'm 37... single... no baggage.... and lived my entire life in Georgia. I was unemployed 14 months between Nov 2009 and May 2011 when I took an aerospace job and moved to Washington state.

I wasn't tied to GA and had never been west of St. Louis. Given the choice of a job in an unknown area or remaining on unemployment I chose the job. I rolled the dice and moved here on my own dime.

Been here 9 months and can say without question it was the best decision of my life. No more hot horrible summers! Love the climate! So much to do outdoors such as hunting.. fishing... camping... hiking... Seattle sports teams... etc... etc.

Washington has gorgeous scenery!

I don't miss GA!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I say you have nothing to lose by going down there to meet them. A face-to-face and a look around will help you decide if you want to move forward with the job or not.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
How about worry about this when you get the offer? In the meantime, take the opportunity to tour Texas a little.

Personally, I'd always go with the opportunity. If the opportunity is right, I'd move to Arabian desert. :-) You need to keep in mind that no matter where you go, it's just temporary, 3-5 years max. So why does it really matter?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I say you have nothing to lose by going down there to meet them. A face-to-face and a look around will help you decide if you want to move forward with the job or not.
Agreed. After the interview, I'd also ask about the availability of stuff you like to do outside of work. Who knows, maybe you'll find a group of people at the new job that share the same interests.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Agreed. After the interview, I'd also ask about the availability of stuff you like to do outside of work. Who knows, maybe you'll find a group of people at the new job that share the same interests.

Exactly. Check out the sports and recreation scene while you are down there.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
I would definitely pursue relocation. Until you actually accept the job you still have the option to change your mind, but it sounds like a great opportunity. Houston may not sound like the most ideal place to move to, but when you're there you can explore and get to know the state and meet the people and hopefully start over in a really great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment