Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,129,694 times

Advertisements

I am working at the hospital as a sitter for nearly six months. I have been trying to apply for a PCA job for five months. I have been a very good worker. The job requires nursing students. I am a nursing student. I have been applying like crazy while other nursing students, my classmates, are being hired from outside the hospital with little to no healthcare experience. I'm pissed. I realize that there is a shortage of sitters, but I don't think it is right for them to shut me out of a position I am well qualified for. Had I known, I would have applied for a PCA job directly after getting my required clinical hours.

Should I settle with my job? I have called HR and they are of no help. Should I quit? The job pays decent but it doesn't give me the experience that a PCA job would. I have been looking elsewhere and there are no job openings. I don't want to quit before I get another job but it is complete bull that they won't hire me because a shortage of sitters while hiring my less experience classmates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,168,255 times
First of all, don't quit. Second of all, don't be so emotional about it. I know this is an emotional situation, but getting overly emotional never helped anyone achieve a goal. There are two things you need to realize. The first is that HR exists to protect the hospital, not to help you. The second is that (whether you like it or not), your classmates have something valuable that you don't. You need to figure out what that is. You need to talk to people and you need to LISTEN. You need to consider the fact that you might be flawed in some way and that you might have something to learn from your classmates who are getting jobs ahead of you.

Don't quit. Figure out what your classmates have that you don't, and work to develop whatever skill that might be. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
First of all, don't quit. Second of all, don't be so emotional about it. I know this is an emotional situation, but getting overly emotional never helped anyone achieve a goal. There are two things you need to realize. The first is that HR exists to protect the hospital, not to help you. The second is that (whether you like it or not), your classmates have something valuable that you don't. You need to figure out what that is. You need to talk to people and you need to LISTEN. You need to consider the fact that you might be flawed in some way and that you might have something to learn from your classmates who are getting jobs ahead of you.

Don't quit. Figure out what your classmates have that you don't, and work to develop whatever skill that might be. Good luck.
No. It is the fact that they have a shortage of sitters. I am just as qualified if not more so than my classmates and I have been loyal to the hospital for six months doing my job. The only reason they won't hire me is because they are in desperate need of sitters.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,481,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
No. It is the fact that they have a shortage of sitters. I am just as qualified if not more so than my classmates and I have been loyal to the hospital for six months doing my job. The only reason they won't hire me is because they are in desperate need of sitters.
Hmm, no, that's not reason. Judging from your attitude, there's more to that.

How's your relationship with your supervisor?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If someone is hired and you are not, then you are not as qualified as them. That is just a fact of life. You need to accept it and see how you can improve yourself so that you look like the best candidate. If you can't accept this fact, you will have a long, hard road in front if you.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Hmm, no, that's not reason. Judging from your attitude, there's more to that.

How's your relationship with your supervisor?
It's great and they have even acknowledged that they have a shortage of sitters. I have done my job and have been respectful.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If someone is hired and you are not, then you are not as qualified as them. That is just a fact of life. You need to accept it and see how you can improve yourself so that you look like the best candidate. If you can't accept this fact, you will have a long, hard road in front if you.
You don't know what you are talking about. We have the same amount of clinical hours, I have more healthcare experience and I have an additional six months with my employer. They have even stated they have a shortage of sitters hence why I have been stuck in the position.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about. We have the same amount of clinical hours, I have more healthcare experience and I have an additional six months with my employer. They have even stated they have a shortage of sitters hence why I have been stuck in the position.
Good luck to you then.

If you don't want help, you are more than welcome to continue being passed by for jobs. When I read your first post, I was sympathetic, now seeing how resistant you are to any sort of self improvement, I am not.

Why did you post asking questions if you are going to resist listening to suggestions?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,481,878 times
Quote:
It's great and they have even acknowledged that they have a shortage of sitters. I have done my job and have been respectful.
You don't even know what your job is, how can you say you have done your job?

Again, if you explain your relationship with your supervisor, I may be able to give you some insight.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,236,665 times
Welcome to health care and human services, a quick trip to losing your mind, especially if you're good at it.
It is entirely possible that they aren't hiring OP because they need him/her in the sitter job. The same thing happens often when night shift people want to change their shift after fulfilling their shift obligation. There is more than one applicant, and the existing employee gets overlooked.
It's also possible that they are hiring the new PCAs at a lower rate than they would have to pay the OP after his/her sitting experience and student experience.
Is it possible there's some kind of collusion/personal relationship with OP's student teachers/advisers and the institution?
I'd look for another job elsewhere but would keep with the sitter job until I got something, if there are enough places in the area to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment