Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM

87 posts, read 261,916 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was just wondering. What do most of you consider as professional jobs?

I have always considered positions such as accountants, lawyers, engineers, programmers etc. as professional jobs. However, I never think of customer service managers, restaurant/retail managers, or clerical workers as "professional"

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Its a word I don't give much credence to. I definitely have known professional restaurant managers and customer service managers, and I don't know too many upper echelon C level supporting executive assistants that aren't professionals.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
I think its about someones word/statement/stamp/signature/advice being trustworthy and get paid for that

Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
What's even more funny are some jobs/people who call themselves professions or professionals.

Probably could create a whole thread on this for fun if it doesn't already exist.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 AM

87 posts, read 261,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
What's even more funny are some jobs/people who call themselves professions or professionals.

Probably could create a whole thread on this for fun if it doesn't already exist.
Could you please elaborate on what jobs that might include?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegePalooza View Post
What do most of you consider as professional jobs?
I have always considered positions such as accountants, lawyers, engineers...
What are your thoughts?
The common theme, as in your examples above, is in having objective and legal standards
related to the work that the person is expected to uphold that go BEYOND what an employer
might expect (or want) them to do; and some sort of education, testing, licensing is required
to qualify for the title.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
There's an official definition for FLSA purposes.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...ofessional.pdf

Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
In the large corporations I've worked for, those designated as "professionals" are the employees who are on an annual salary, as opposed to paid by the hour. "Hourly employees" punched a clock and earned overtime pay beyond their 40 hours. Professionals (who may also have been required to clock in, just to prove they were on the premises for a minimum 40 hours a week) were the people contractually obligated to work overtime "as needed" without any additional remuneration and to perform duties "as assigned" without any legal protection.

"Comp time" was left up to bosses and, where I worked at least, rarely even asked for, let alone granted. I traveled a lot for my job, so if they knew I was at trade show where I might have been manning our booth, entertaining clients when I wasn't, and responsible for loading and transporting the booth and hand-outs, sometimes across the country, I'd leave early on a Friday to make up for what had easily been 80 hours the previous week. Or come in late the morning after my plane landed. Other than that, my responsibility was to take anything they dished out.

The people in my office who were hourly were secretaries, mail room, reproduction services, graphics department, security, those kinds of support services. Cleaning and cafeteria services were subcontracted and those people worked for other companies, no doubt hourly, too. The "professionals" were engineers, specialized technicians, and marketing people like me. Everyone else was a "manager." That elite corporate status usually has more to do with budgets they manage, rather than people. Since the corporation I worked for also owned manufacturing plants, those employees were unionized and, as a result, our hourly employees at headquarters enjoyed union representation, too. That also, in the end, helped us professionals. Even though we weren't in the union, they couldn't pay us less than they were paying the secretaries, so it helped to bump up our salaries. Otherwise, given how many hours I normally worked a week, it wouldn't have been financially "worth it" to be a professional.

When I was growing up, I would have said "professionals" were people like lawyers, architects, bankers, pharmacists — people who had degrees entitling them to perform work others weren't qualified to do. But now that practically everyone in the world works for a huge corporation, that's a very minimal number of people.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:01 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
As soon as your first name isn't pinned/glued/embroidered onto your shirt.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
As soon as your first name isn't pinned/glued/embroidered onto your shirt.

What about a professional chef? Professional athlete? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment