Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,616 times

Advertisements

Thanks for acknowledging that it's feasible for some, but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Thanks for acknowledging that it's feasible for some, but not all.
Of course it's a risk. But if a person is sitting in some city or town and exhausted all the possibilities, or just has no luck, trying somewhere else is a very American thing to do.

Remember the pioneers. This country was founded on people who chucked it all in, often leaving families forever abroad, and trying something new.

Sure, it was horrible for many. But some did well.
Better to maybe try then sit and fester.

Good luck to all.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
TV, it DOES make sense. Sometimes. And please don't resort to violence because you disagree.

I know people who have done it. My husband and I have done it several times.

Sometimes you have no choice.

If a person or family has a decent amount of money stacked up, it can be done. However, if you do not have savings, it's not an option.
My point is that is something that someone has to decide for themselves and shouldn't be recommended as the thing to do. If i decided to walk outside with my resume stapled to my back does that mean everyone should do it? It just something that a person decides to do on their own and see if it works out. It doesn't fall into the advice category because it may not work for everyone.

Just like when I send a fake resume to a company to test a new resume and see if I get a call back, I would never tell anyone to do that. I may mention what I have done to get more call backs but I wouldn't go around and say..."you should do this".

Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,702,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It doesn't fall into the advice category because it may not work for everyone.
What piece of advice ever works for 'everyone'?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
What piece of advice ever works for 'everyone'?
Well if you read this board on a daily you will see that the most popular advice given to people who can't find a job is

start your own business

move to another city

The dumbest advice you can ever give a unemployed person.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:19 PM

The "just move" advice doesn't work for a lot of people, unless they either have a place they can stay at for free or for cheap in their new city, or unless they have a lot of money saved up [generally having a lot of money saved up and being unemployed don't go together.] Even if they do have savings, they will have to find a job pretty fast at their new location. The people with the best shot are those who can stay with family during an extended job search.

Most people try to find a job where they're at, and by the time they decide they need to move they usually have exhausted savings.

And all of this assumes there are no real estate issues, family members with jobs, kids in school, elder care situations, etc...when people say just move it shows me they don't have a good handle on what it's actually like for a lot of people out there.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
FBJ

Quote:
The "just move" advice doesn't work for a lot of people, unless they either have a place they can stay at for free or for cheap in their new city, or unless they have a lot of money saved up [generally having a lot of money saved up and being unemployed don't go together.] Even if they do have savings, they will have to find a job pretty fast at their new location. The people with the best shot are those who can stay with family during an extended job search.

Most people try to find a job where they're at, and by the time they decide they need to move they usually have exhausted savings.

And all of this assumes there are no real estate issues, family members with jobs, kids in school, elder care situations, etc...when people say just move it shows me they don't have a good handle on what it's actually like for a lot of people out there.
Exactly, and you can't believe how many times I wanted to send someone a nasty reply for posting something so stupid like "you can move" or "start your own business"

I think I would slap my mother if she gave me that advice-lol

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
The employers I deal with generally seem to prefer hiring someone who has the perfect set of qualifications, with just the right amount of education/experience, no more and no less.
Of course they do and they always have. The difference is that now they have five perfect candidates instead of one or two.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:

A friend of mine just got a new job in Washington, DC. He reached out to his friends for housing help, I in turn reached out to someone I know who knows tons of people in that area who knew of someone looking to rent a room which my friend is now living in. He's still got a house and mortgage elsewhere, and for a personal reason can't even rent it out at this point. It's tough, but it's what he had to do.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Good for him, not everyone has someone who can provide housing help. For every story of a person who was able to move, there's another story of someone who couldn't. Like I said, not every situation is the same, and it's not that some people aren't willing to do what they have to, it's that some people have fewer options than others, especially those who are older and have more responsibilities.

Sounds like he was also fortunate that he was able to find a job before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment