Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Good for him, not everyone has someone who can provide housing help. For every story of a person who was able to move, there's another story of someone who couldn't. Like I said, not every situation is the same, and it's not that some people aren't willing to do what they have to, it's that some people have fewer options than others, especially those who are older and have more responsibilities.

Sounds like he was also fortunate that he was able to find a job before moving.
Don't take any posts from Annerk seriously. She is a troll who has friends all over the country and comes on here to make fun of unemployed people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Don't take any posts from Annerk seriously. She is a troll who has friends all over the country and comes on here to make fun of unemployed people.
I don't make fun of unemployed people, only lazy people and drama queens. And yes, I do have friends all over the country. I"ll be seeing several of them next week while I'm traveling and am really looking forward to it.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A friend of mine just got a new job in Washington, DC. He reached out to his friends for housing help, I in turn reached out to someone I know who knows tons of people in that area who knew of someone looking to rent a room which my friend is now living in. He's still got a house and mortgage elsewhere, and for a personal reason can't even rent it out at this point. It's tough, but it's what he had to do.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM

89 posts, read 240,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
awesome

Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who can see she has mental problems-lol

She has a story and example for everything and it doesn't mean anything.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM

134 posts, read 367,365 times
Quote:

I seem to recall a certain someone on these boards who got really snippy about people supposedly "derailing threads to attack other posters"

And I'm pretty sure it wasn't annerk.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Well if you read this board on a daily you will see that the most popular advice given to people who can't find a job is

start your own business

move to another city

The dumbest advice you can ever give a unemployed person.
I read this board often enough. Those pieces of advice aren't bad, it's a case of 'your mileage will vary'. There's no one magical piece of advice that's a 'one size fits all'.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I know a number of people doing something similar. Myself included. My job is in Florida, my husband's is in NJ. Not exactly commutable. We maintain two households because that's what we have to do. I own a business, he would never make the money and benefits in Florida that he makes in NJ. My brother-in-law works in OK while my sister and the kids live in CT. My friend works in Los Angeles and his wife works in SC. I could go on and on. It can be done, it's not perfect, but it's better than starving to death.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:

At least I have a job, want to be a productive member of society and not a leech on the taxpayer, and won't be living in a box in six months. More than I can say for you.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
The best thing to learn from the market is once you get a job is start a savings account and KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF IT.

I think any young people reading this have to understand the importance of saving up when you can while you are working. Otherwise you will be limited in your choices as you get older.

The best time to suffer a little is when you are young. It gets harder as you get older to pick up, move, change jobs, try to do something extra, work two jobs, and so on.

As some people have stated, the options get less after you marry, have kids or have to care for older folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment