U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 PM

4,298 posts, read 5,581,121 times

Advertisements

I know I'm probably repeating something that many others have already said, but here's my general take. I interviewed for jobs back in '05 and '07. In both cases, when I had a lot less experience, I received 3 offers in a short amount of time. Now, I have a great deal more experience and professional polish, to go with my master's degree and relevant certifications in my field. I've been interviewing for jobs lately and have been having difficulty in attaining what I want (a step up in salary/responsibility, as I received when I got previous offers). Here's what I've seen:

1 - Employers are extremely picky, as they can be. If you don't meet every single one of their requirements verbatim, you're not going to get an offer or sometimes even a 2nd round interview. In the past, employers seemed more willing to take a chance on someone who was smart, driven and had some relevant experience, where they could learn the new skill quickly
2 - Employers are low balling on offers, big time! Not only do they want someone who fits the mold, but they want to pay them 10-20% less than what they may have just a few years ago
3 - Employers would rather leave a job vacant than sacrifice on any of the bullets in the job description
4 - Employers seem to be taking overqualified people into lower level roles. Many people who were at say Director level, seem to be settling for Mgr/Sr Mgr roles just to get away from their current company or to get a job in general (if unemployed)
5 - HR teams are becoming more inconsiderate. I can understand a lack of response if you just submit your resume, but I've had them not respond at all, even if I've gone through several rounds of interviews. They seem to not care, since they have their pick of candidates

I'm hoping that the job market improves a lot in the near future, as its not pretty out there, even for those of us who are highly skilled.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM

841 posts, read 1,846,719 times
I see experienced people getting offers but like you say, they are being lowballed.

Of course these kids with no experience are just scrambling for anything to make a resume.

Can I add to your list that volunteer places have gotten VERY picky about who they will even let volunteer and how they often cannot be bothered even getting back to you.

It seems like they know people are trying to volunteer to build a resume in many cases and even they have become exclusionary.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,702,546 times
I guess there might be more hiring of the overqualified at mid-level positions, but I'm not seeing it otherwise. The employers I deal with generally seem to prefer hiring someone who has the perfect set of qualifications, with just the right amount of education/experience, no more and no less. I'd love to find an accounting clerk job and am willing to be reasonable about salary, etc., but rarely get a response when I apply to those type of jobs.

Can't really leave things off as far as education and the few accounting jobs I have had because those are the only things that would qualify me at all for the position. I think generally though I'm getting beaten out by people with associate degrees and a year or two of low level accounting experience.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

831 posts, read 2,714,406 times
Everyone is getting educated because there are no jobs, everyones gonna be overeducated/overskilled soon, then what?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM

12,915 posts, read 17,622,202 times
On #5 take heart that a lot of HR professionals are out of work. One you missed, employers are overstepping their bounds, asking for Facebook logins for example.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM

48,503 posts, read 92,573,463 times
I have to disagree. I have had three neieces(sisters) who graduated college in last four years. Each had job offers before graduating. They bascially have good jobs with good starting slaries and two have been promote with substantial raises. The last has now been offered a position by another compnay with large increase in salary offer.I guess it just depends. The only thing I see as a common denominator is all 3 at top 10% of class and all in scholl of business.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM

750 posts, read 1,394,328 times
I have seen everything road warrior has seen but even lower wages. Sunny made good points as well. I am out of work. Want to put something on my resume called a few places about working as an intern no callbacks. Went in somewhere to volunteer weeks have passed no callback. Their are just too many people out of work. And they have nowhere to go it is that simple. And we keep pumping out a million college grads a year. What happens when everyone gets over educated and over skilled? It is simple you become underemployed ie work at Sears Walmart Kmart for years and years. It is not just kids who majored in art. I have know people with degrees in business HR the list goes on working retail for years. Their are fewer jobs that pay a living wage and more people want those jobs.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM

344 posts, read 981,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I know I'm probably repeating something that many others have already said, but here's my general take. I interviewed for jobs back in '05 and '07. In both cases, when I had a lot less experience, I received 3 offers in a short amount of time. Now, I have a great deal more experience and professional polish, to go with my master's degree and relevant certifications in my field. I've been interviewing for jobs lately and have been having difficulty in attaining what I want (a step up in salary/responsibility, as I received when I got previous offers). Here's what I've seen:

1 - Employers are extremely picky, as they can be. If you don't meet every single one of their requirements verbatim, you're not going to get an offer or sometimes even a 2nd round interview. In the past, employers seemed more willing to take a chance on someone who was smart, driven and had some relevant experience, where they could learn the new skill quickly
2 - Employers are low balling on offers, big time! Not only do they want someone who fits the mold, but they want to pay them 10-20% less than what they may have just a few years ago
3 - Employers would rather leave a job vacant than sacrifice on any of the bullets in the job description
4 - Employers seem to be taking overqualified people into lower level roles. Many people who were at say Director level, seem to be settling for Mgr/Sr Mgr roles just to get away from their current company or to get a job in general (if unemployed)
5 - HR teams are becoming more inconsiderate. I can understand a lack of response if you just submit your resume, but I've had them not respond at all, even if I've gone through several rounds of interviews. They seem to not care, since they have their pick of candidates

I'm hoping that the job market improves a lot in the near future, as its not pretty out there, even for those of us who are highly skilled.
for your last point.. #5..

I get what you're saying, and it's true for some HR folks. but at the same time, they get a ton of applications these days.

Think about this: if you were in HR and had 1 applicant I bet you'd follow up with them every step of the way, keep them informed, etc. Now lets say you have 100. Which isn't an unrealistic figure for most jobs that get posted on the internet. Are you going to follow up with all 100? or all 15 that had interviews? it gets harder. Not trying to make excuses for them, but some HR folks just get lazy or overwhelmed.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM

241 posts, read 998,656 times
Employers are taking advantage on the current situation of having so many people looking for jobs. Some companies are doing very well and still want to pay peanuts. They know people are desperate on bringing home an income.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 56,017,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Everyone is getting educated because there are no jobs, everyones gonna be overeducated/overskilled soon, then what?
Yup go get in debt and still can't find a job which is silly. Someone I know puts that she has a Master's Degree at the very top of her resume and still can't get a call back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment