Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times

Advertisements

I would argue: no. If an employer fails to offer health coverage or benefits, that means the cost of any on-the-job injuries you accrue are dumped on your lap. And that could get extremely expensive, very quickly (in the US, anyway). You could actually get yourself stuck in a debt-trap by doing such a thing, and your job would end up being a liability.

I've noticed some employers whining about "lazy employees," but then it comes out that the job doesn't even include health coverage - so, really, why should employees strain themselves when the cost of that strain is going to fall entirely upon their shoulders? I get the sense that more and more employees are behaving in accord with this principle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I agree with you. But if you are hurt on the job there is workers' compensation to fall on. While not the best coverage for anyone it is something better than nothing.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
One has nothing to do with the other. You should have known there were no medical benefits when you accepted the job offer. You should do the work that's expected of you or expect to be let go and end up with no job, no reference from that employer, and still no medical. Meanwhile, keep looking for something better that does have medical. Not all employers can afford to pay medical benefits, especially small businesses. If they did provide medical they would have to reduce your pay to minimum and let some people go to make ends meet or go out of business.

My medical contribution is about $150/month and my employer pays close to another $1,000
for just three of us. It's easy to complain but if you want medical look for an employer that can afford it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Even if your employer offers health benefits, if you get hurt on the job it will be covered by workers compensation and not your health insurance. All employers are required to provide workers compensation.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I would argue: no. If an employer fails to offer health coverage or benefits, that means the cost of any on-the-job injuries you accrue are dumped on your lap. And that could get extremely expensive, very quickly (in the US, anyway). You could actually get yourself stuck in a debt-trap by doing such a thing, and your job would end up being a liability.

I've noticed some employers whining about "lazy employees," but then it comes out that the job doesn't even include health coverage - so, really, why should employees strain themselves when the cost of that strain is going to fall entirely upon their shoulders? I get the sense that more and more employees are behaving in accord with this principle.
no it doesn't. Workers comp would pay for it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Ah, yes - worker's comp. That is another huge minefield. One major problem is that worker's comp is designed for "incidents" that create sudden injury or "discrete" injuries, while straining yourself on the job a lot can lead to general systemic problems, but not any particular discrete illness or injury that would invoke worker's comp.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Its just a convenient misguided attempt to describe laziness.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Ah, yes - worker's comp. That is another huge minefield. One major problem is that worker's comp is designed for "incidents" that create sudden injury or "discrete" injuries, while straining yourself on the job a lot can lead to general systemic problems, but not any particular discrete illness or injury that would invoke worker's comp.
I guess you never heard of anybody getting workers comp for carpal tunnel

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
Another reason we need one health care system for all. This way people are not stuck at crappy jobs for medical insurance and the employers don't have to deal with inflated costs.

How we do this? I am not sure.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
If you don't like your job, your employer, your coworker, or your benefits, find another job. Purposely injuring yourself on the job--or even threatening to--shows your true colors. You are either lazy, stupid, or mentally unstable. I'll allow you to choose which best describes yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment