Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times

Advertisements

Where can I find decent paying freelance writing jobs? I am getting sick of working for peanuts on Elance.com. I know there will be some people who say I sound entitled for asking how to find jobs that pay a living wage, but a person needs to be able to live these days and us single people don't qualify for government aid. Besides, what is so wrong with wanting a job that puts food on the table and pays the bills?

I am also looking for regular jobs as well, but I am stuck in an area with high unemployment and can't afford to move unless I find decent paying freelance work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I don't think decent paying freelance jobs exist unless you are already a well known author, do they?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
You could always start blogging with affiliate marketing advertising.........

I don't know how people make it on E-lance, from what I see most of the people looking for help don't want to pay anything for it.

I work for myself providing services and one look at E-lance told me it wasn't worth my time. I am sure there are people willing to work for below minimum wage but I'm not. Craigslist is another huge waste, it attracts the bottom feeders looking to get something for nothing.

My best results have come through networking, my own website, a web listing with a program I support and contacting targeted individuals.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
You can write an ebook about a topic you know or research. There was an unpublished woman who was rejected by publishing houses for her fiction book but when she published it on Nook or so she made a million bucks off of it. I plan to write an ebook about bicycling for transportation and weightloss because I have a lot of tips and experience from being a road biker since 2003.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM

309 posts, read 515,568 times
Redroses, technical writing is the only area that i know of that pay well. Try to be a contractor for a big corporation, writing for their marketing materials, and from there, build up your industry/product/technical knowledge to move further into more tech writing, where the big money is.

Unlike other contractors who must work onsite mostly, tech writers often are permitted to work from home because they need the quiet.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Where can I find decent paying freelance writing jobs? I am getting sick of working for peanuts on Elance.com. I know there will be some people who say I sound entitled for asking how to find jobs that pay a living wage, but a person needs to be able to live these days and us single people don't qualify for government aid. Besides, what is so wrong with wanting a job that puts food on the table and pays the bills?

I am also looking for regular jobs as well, but I am stuck in an area with high unemployment and can't afford to move unless I find decent paying freelance work.
Go read this Water Cooler thread Leaving Facebook... | Facebook and then try raising your rate and see where you go! You never can tell exactly what you will find on elance. I found a job that paid well and lasted a year through elance.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Look up grant writing. Also look to the Small Business Association to do brochures, website writing and support letter writing. These businesses don't usually have the funds to hire PR agencies and often look for freelancers.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Go read this Water Cooler thread Leaving Facebook... | Facebook and then try raising your rate and see where you go! You never can tell exactly what you will find on elance. I found a job that paid well and lasted a year through elance.
Finding a decent job on Elance must have been like finding a needle in a haystack. Some of the jobs are very time consuming as well and it makes it hard to look for higher paying work. I have decided I am finishing the two projects I have now and getting off Elance.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You could always start blogging with affiliate marketing advertising.........

I don't know how people make it on E-lance, from what I see most of the people looking for help don't want to pay anything for it.

I work for myself providing services and one look at E-lance told me it wasn't worth my time. I am sure there are people willing to work for below minimum wage but I'm not. Craigslist is another huge waste, it attracts the bottom feeders looking to get something for nothing.

My best results have come through networking, my own website, a web listing with a program I support and contacting targeted individuals.
Blogging might be neat as something to do on the side because I hear a lot of people don't make money off blogging. The ebook idea might also be interesting from Jesse69s post.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM

693 posts, read 1,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Blogging might be neat as something to do on the side because I hear a lot of people don't make money off blogging. The ebook idea might also be interesting from Jesse69s post.

Unless you're like Perez Hilton who makes tons of money off blogging. Most people who blog won't make enough to live off of. With all the different web and blog sites around it is hard to get page rank on google and to get people to visit your blog site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment