Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 971 times

Advertisements

I work at a Fortune 500, laborous, fast paced job that carries a staff of 275+ entry-level and only six assistant managers(not including the AM shifts). The assistants are overpaid and underworked and with word of two management positions opening up at the end of the fiscal year, everyone's frothing from the mouths.

That isn't necessarily what bothers me, however. The way the positions are organized are screwed up and nonsensical when it comes to an assistant being promoted. The "layout" is A Manager > B Manager > Assistant manager/Occupational trainer> Laborer. The occupational trainers are on the same payrate as the assistant managers, given more responsibility, yield the highest reward (one assistant and trainer are assigned to one crew of three). B manager technically isn't even my boss--the training superior is--and I am his right hand man, as well as two of the "A" managers'.

The assistant of my crew is lazy, incompetent, demotivates my crew but the "B" manager despises the idea of me getting the management position first. "B" manager is also unscrupulous about his bottom line even if it positively affects the operation on a building-wide scale. To put into perspective: I've built Rome. We have only one weak worker and I've built the crew from the ground up with the exception of two individuals. The other crews are failing miserably and deteriorating due to a bad trainer not producing machines. We're showcasing the best numbers of everyone else in the building (total: 12 crews). Yet he refuses to let me assist other people.

Worst of all: I'm under utilized and not even performing my job function anymore. So I talked to "A" manager and had it approved that I swap places with another trainer and rebuild his crew. The old crew will likely deteriorate and lose morale and the new one most definitely will greatly improve.

Is this a wise endeavor? I see it as spiteful but beneficial to the "big picture", and a way to further prove my abilities. I'm already held in high esteem by upper management; I just want to lock myself in even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,794,784 times
Do what's best for yourself. Work hard and show your results, just make sure to put yourself in a position to really show that you're succeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment