Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

You know that old saying "when it rains, it pours?" Well, that's how I'm feeling right now! Since February 2011 I've been working part-time for a county library, and (as of more recently) doing on-call librarian work for another county... even though I love my permanent p/t job, the pay is fairly crappy, and the on-call work is obviously sporadic. So I've been casually looking for another job in the meantime, and all of sudden there seem to be LOTS of openings - guess they're finally starting to reinstate our budgets, which have been pretty limited for the last few years.

In the last month-ish I've applied for about 5 different positions, and am currently working on applications for a few more that are very promising. On Tuesday of this week I had a phone interview for a library in Southern CA, and honestly didn't think it went very well... but today I got an email stating that I passed the first round (ranked 5th out of the 14 who made it to round two), and have been invited to a second interview on May 30th. Great, but I was also just contacted to interview WAAAAY up in Northern CA on the 29th. What to do, what to do?

If I had to pick one interview over the other, I'm thinking it's more logical to take the SoCal one since it's a second interview - meaning, I have a better chance of actually getting an offer. But I'd honestly rather live up north, plus I'm not even 100% sure I want to relocate at all. I wish the timing were a little different with everything, since the other jobs for which I'm applying/waiting right now are local. So if I were to get an offer from one of these positions, would it be really stupid to say no (holding out for something local)? It's not like I'm unemployed, it's just very very tight financially with my current situation. Anyway, sorry for the long essay, but I'm basically just trying to think things through ahead of time. Any input is appreciated!

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-18-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM

P.S. The county where I'm doing on-call work might have permanent openings soon, and we get first crack at them after internal transfers... plus the library where I've been volunteering since last fall is now hiring, and they have multiple p/t and f/t openings for which I'm applying. So I definitely have an "in" with those libraries!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Congrats on the career choices in this economic climate.

Seems you prefer staying north, but the Southern California offer is almost definite?.

I would write a list of positives and negatives on salary,cost of living, and the area you'd be living in, etc.
I dont know much about the library jobs, but I can so relate to the relocation confusion.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Any chance of postponing the Northern CA interview? Since the Southern CA is a 2nd interview I don't think you want to ask them to change it, but maybe call the 5/29 interview and ask to postpone it?

As someone who lived in Southern CA for 20 yrs I know there is a big difference between the two, most people prefer one or the other.

It sounds like you have a lot of "irons in the fire"(which is good), if they're close enough to where you currently live and don't require moving then maybe you want to pass on the Southern CA interview.

But if some of them mean moving as well and you feel the SC interview is more of sure thing, I would keep that interview and see if you can push back the 5/29 interview until after you return from the SC interview.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, and for helping me to consider all the factors here... I've also briefly talked about the situation with my family, who basically just said to go for everything and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Any chance of postponing the Northern CA interview? Since the Southern CA is a 2nd interview I don't think you want to ask them to change it, but maybe call the 5/29 interview and ask to postpone it?
Unfortunately I don't think that will be possible, as these are both county/city jobs, and the public employment process is pretty stringent. In other words, everything is controlled by the powers-that-be, so there is little room for flexibility. Plus I already got those two days off of work, so it might be tough to change that request now. Might be worth a shot, though!

The hardest part is figuring out the logistics, since I'd have less than 24 hours to get from the extreme north coast to Los Angeles. Not sure what time the 5/30 interview is yet, but the 5/29 one is at 1:50pm on Tuesday - so I could just hop in the car and head south, getting me there around 3am. Luckily I'm a night owl! Flying to/from both would be another possibility, although that would mean leaving the dog behind & getting a sitter for him.

Quote:
As someone who lived in Southern CA for 20 yrs I know there is a big difference between the two, most people prefer one or the other.
For sure, and I'm definitely more of a northern type of person... I grew up in the Bay Area, and at least in terms of California, I have never lived south of San Jose. So based on these two towns alone, I would much rather be up north! But then I have to consider that I have friends and family in SoCal, while I don't know a soul north of San Francisco. Plus the LA job pays much better, but of course the cost-of-living is comparatively higher. Hmmmm.

Quote:
It sounds like you have a lot of "irons in the fire"(which is good), if they're close enough to where you currently live and don't require moving then maybe you want to pass on the Southern CA interview.
I do have a lot of "irons in the fire," and all but these two are in the Bay Area... some would eventually require moving (opposite ends of the Bay), but would be commute-able for at least a short while.

Quote:
But if some of them mean moving as well and you feel the SC interview is more of sure thing, I would keep that interview and see if you can push back the 5/29 interview until after you return from the SC interview.
Basically I have a 1/6 chance minimum of getting that SoCal job, and no idea how many are being interviewed for the northern one. Oy vey, I'm so confused now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-17-2012 at 11:36 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
My advice is to find a way to get to both interviews. If you are ranked #5 so far you will have to do a lot better to pass up the other 4. Also, every time you interview you will gain experience in the process, become more comfortable in that situation, have a good idea of the kinds of questions to expect and be better prepared for the next one. Having lived in the bay area too, I'd never accept something in the southern part of the state, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't like it. In fact I was
once offered a job in LA and passed, but learned a lot from that interview.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My advice is to find a way to get to both interviews. If you are ranked #5 so far you will have to do a lot better to pass up the other 4. Also, every time you interview you will gain experience in the process, become more comfortable in that situation, have a good idea of the kinds of questions to expect and be better prepared for the next one. Having lived in the bay area too, I'd never accept something in the southern part of the state, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't like it. In fact I was
once offered a job in LA and passed, but learned a lot from that interview.
I agree with this and your family. That is my mantra, try for everything!! You never know. I know it's hard running around the state, getting time off etc, but that is part of job hunting IMO. In the end you may decide that both these jobs are not worth it, but at least you got some interview practice in for when those local jobs call. I think it's worthwhile to go to an interview a few times a year just to keep at it. Things change quickly in the working world and if you haven't interviewed in a while, you may get questions you weren't prepared for.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
With respect to relocating, I would think long and hard about whether this is something you want to do. Let's say you get a job, move to where the job is, and then lose the job. Will you still be happy in that new location? Will you have an easier time finding work in that new location compared to where you were before?

It's great to get interviews. These days, people are lucky to even get replies to their resumes. Some people take the attitude that any interview request is good. After all, what's the worst that happens if you agree to the interview? In your case, traveling to another part of the state costs money. First round interviews are great, but if you made it Round 2 or 3, that's even more promising. If it were me, I wouldn't entertain the Nothern CA interview unless I was prepared to move out there and if I thought I had a good chance of getting the job.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
I think it depends on your personal situation. If you need that paycheck soon to keep roof over your head or credit rating intact then I'd give serious consideration to the bird in hand, the relocation. On the other hand if you can afford to turtle until you get what you want and the prospects are viable, which seems to be the case, then by all means chase the better option.

Best of luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
I agree with others, find a way to make it to both. Right now, neither one is a sure thing because you don't have either one.

Keep in mind, this is not an every day thing, it's this one time you will have to put in a lot of effort, lose a lot of sleep, do a lot of traveling...but at this point in time, take any and all interviews you can get even if it means that.

You can rest and relax after you get one of the jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment