Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I currently work at a dealership as an entry level tehcnician and I'm quickly realizing this career is not a good one.

I'm looking to switch careers for a job that pays more money.

I'm looking for a program/vocational/apprenticeship program that will get me a job fast without costing an arm and a leg. I'm willing to pay 8,000-10,000.10,000 MAX.

I do not care what industry it is.
The only thing that is required is that its fast to obtain the certificated a year or year and half of classwork.
The job will pay at least 15.00$ /hr starting and is in demand. It doesn't have to be vital or prestigious it just has to be easy to find and easy to get a job.
Again if its not expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
May be you need to CARE what industry it is. Wouldn't it be the pits if you completed a nice program and $10K later realize it just sucks like a hoover vacuum?
My suggestion is look at what you like to do, what you have an interest in and THEN look at what programs are available.

Right off the top I would consider--

HUMAN SERVICE FIELD
MEDICAL TECHNICIAN

Old 05-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
May be you need to CARE what industry it is. Wouldn't it be the pits if you completed a nice program and $10K later realize it just sucks like a hoover vacuum?
My suggestion is look at what you like to do, what you have an interest in and THEN look at what programs are available.

Right off the top I would consider--

HUMAN SERVICE FIELD
MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
I'm really not in that position to enjoy whatever bring the money in.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm really not in that position to enjoy whatever bring the money in.
Hard to be good at something you don't have much interest in. Find your passion and the money will follow. Make it reasonable though, there should be a demand for it.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I thought experienced dealership auto repair technicians can make $70,000 a year. I think you should stick with it... Have you ever asked the experienced techs at the dealership what they make or potential experienced salaries?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I thought experienced dealership auto repair technicians can make $70,000 a year. I think you should stick with it... Have you ever asked the experienced techs at the dealership what they make or potential experienced salaries?
It takes to long to get that salary like 10 - 11 years time.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,191 times
Quote:
It takes to long to get that salary like 10 - 11 years time.
You can't be making that much money the first day. You have to put in your time and pay your dues

Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
You can't be making that much money the first day. You have to put in your time and pay your dues
10 years???Not to mention I have to buy 50 grand of tools over time.

Yeah Ill do this as side work and make more money then a technician who works at a shop ever will.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
10 years???Not to mention I have to buy 50 grand of tools over time.

Yeah Ill do this as side work and make more money then a technician who works at a shop ever will.
Same in most trades. You furnish most of the tools except any expendables. Sometimes, it's the toolbox and the amount of tools in it that can help determine your worth, but of course you must know and understand their applications and do so efficiently. Personally, I feel such an uphill battle is pushing a lot of the smarter ones out, which is fine for most places. They like to have 1 high paid guy surrounded by a loose haggle of $10/hr monkeys. Neither party is really happy. The expensive guy would rather not work with a bunch of degenerates or worse, and it would make his life easier to have a well rounded workforce along his side. With inflation so high and ground level wages so low, I don't think I would be too fond of the idea of paying so much for tooling either.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I would like to gently suggest that OP (and many others) are not likely to find something to be passionate about that will also pay the bills or offer a future. At least, I know I never found it, and have tried more than any ten people I know.
Now, do something you don't find hard, something you have an aptitude for or an acceptance of the general environment, and that might work. Save passion and love for time that is all your own and that doesn't need to put dinner on the table or pay the rent.
I say this after working for some 43 years at many different things. Note, OP didn't say he wanted to feel passionate, etc.- not at all. If he did, I'd say, "It's worth every effort, but sometimes you have to admit that it's not working for you/isn't going to happen."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment