Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM

152 posts, read 493,263 times

Advertisements

First let me say that I know that I'm lucky to have a job in this economy and whatnot...I've heard all of that before. But I'm really really unhappy at my job.

I'm in the process of interviewing and have a few promising ones. Also my old job (the one before this current one) has given me the option to go back if I want to (I left on very good terms).

At my current job, I have no motivation. I spend most of the day surfing the net instead of working. Also our company is merging and so my director says that layoffs may happen in the future and so I'm even less motivated to work. I dread coming into work everyday and it's really depressing me. They require a one month notice before you quite and so I'm thinking of giving my notice now so that all I have to do is stand another month. I don't have another job lined up, and have only been at this job for 6 months, but I'm beyond caring about how that will look on my resume. Also if I can't find a job, my parents said I'm welcome to move back home. However they asked why would I want to quit a job with a steady income and my freedom to move back home to live under their rules again (I have younger siblings, so I would have to follow their rules to set a good example). I feel like my happiness is worth me quitting my job, but at the same time I don't know if it's all emotional and quitting is actually a stupid idea. I just feel like I'm going crazy sitting here for 8 hours doing nothing and wasting my day away.

oh and I'm a 23 year old female if that matters at all (no kids, no responsibilities but myself) and I'm a software developer. I have enough money saved for 3 months without income (longer if I live with my parents) but my mom said its not wise to use my savings if I can help it.

Would you quit your job in my situation? I know it's my decision to make, but I want to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advanced to anyone who answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,189 times
I'd wait for the layoff to make sure I could get UI... I wouldn't quit unless I had another job lined up.

3 months savings won't last long in this economy. You could spend a year looking for a job.

You may be unhappy at your job... I'd deal with it to keep the income until I had something else... or got laid off in which case you could get UI income to go with your savings.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I'd wait for the layoff to make sure I could get UI... I wouldn't quit unless I had another job lined up.

3 months savings won't last long in this economy. You could spend a year looking for a job.

You may be unhappy at your job... I'd deal with it to keep the income until I had something else... or got laid off in which case you could get UI income to go with your savings.
I agree with this.

Also, can you be more specific about what you don't like at your current job?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
First let me say that I know that I'm lucky to have a job in this economy and whatnot...I've heard all of that before. But I'm really really unhappy at my job.

I'm in the process of interviewing and have a few promising ones. Also my old job (the one before this current one) has given me the option to go back if I want to (I left on very good terms).

At my current job, I have no motivation. I spend most of the day surfing the net instead of working. Also our company is merging and so my director says that layoffs may happen in the future and so I'm even less motivated to work. I dread coming into work everyday and it's really depressing me. They require a one month notice before you quite and so I'm thinking of giving my notice now so that all I have to do is stand another month. I don't have another job lined up, and have only been at this job for 6 months, but I'm beyond caring about how that will look on my resume. Also if I can't find a job, my parents said I'm welcome to move back home. However they asked why would I want to quit a job with a steady income and my freedom to move back home to live under their rules again (I have younger siblings, so I would have to follow their rules to set a good example). I feel like my happiness is worth me quitting my job, but at the same time I don't know if it's all emotional and quitting is actually a stupid idea. I just feel like I'm going crazy sitting here for 8 hours doing nothing and wasting my day away.

oh and I'm a 23 year old female if that matters at all (no kids, no responsibilities but myself) and I'm a software developer. I have enough money saved for 3 months without income (longer if I live with my parents) but my mom said its not wise to use my savings if I can help it.

Would you quit your job in my situation? I know it's my decision to make, but I want to hear your opinions.

I know it may be life sucking at your current job but do NOT quit! Keep looking for other jobs but keep the one you have now until you find something else or they do lay you off.

Keep telling yourself every day: "This is not forever."

Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks guys for making me reason with this decision. I appreciate it.

When I first got the job, I made it clear to my boss that I'm used to a flexible work schedule and that I expect that at my current job. He said of course they can make that work and so I decided to accept the offer. Within my first 2 weeks there he wouldn't let me work from home and asked that I take vacation. I told him before I even was hired that I would need to work from home for a week and he said that was ok at the time, but once I was hired I didn't see anything about a flexible work schedule.

The thing is I'm the only person this year who has released a software successfully. I was working my butt off and granted I did get an amazing review, but that's all that amounted from it. He and my other co-workers keep mentioning how fast of a learner I am and how quickly I get stuff done, so I don't understand why he won't cut me some slack and abide by the terms I set when I was first hired.

Also I have a co-worker that makes me feel very uncomfortable and I talked to another female co-worker (she's actually my best friend and the one who recommended me for the job) and she said she feels the same way. But neither of us are the type of people that will say anything about it because what if it's just the guy's personality and he can't help it, then I'm going to look like I just want to cause trouble, which I don't.

Basically all of that plus the merger is making me lose my motivation because it's not what I signed up for.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM

Work on finding something else while you coast along at this place. The sad reality is there is often a lot of BS to put up with at work. I personally would not quit a job in this economy without having something else lined up.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Ok, first its a job, if it were so wonderful, they wouldn't have to pay you to be there. Secondly, at 23 you feel bored? please, grow up, join the rat race, be responsible. You are surfing the net, you should be working, you develop software, do what you are paid to do. You don't WANT to work, then quit, don't be a drain on the employer just because you are not thrilled to be there everyday. But, going home, safety net? again, be responsible, why should your parents support you? Carry your own weight, do your job. You want to be productive? Go to McDonalds, flip a few burgers, you'll have some respect for that nice paying job. You are the one that is responsible for not working.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM

I like my job description, it's the company I don't like and how they're not sticking to the terms agreed upon when I was hired. I actually love developing software and I do it in my spare time as well so by that definition, I am getting paid to do something I enjoy, just not for the organization I want. Also when I am developing software I like my job and tolerate the other BS that goes on. It's when I'm tasked to do something that wasn't in my job description for weeks on end that makes me not like my job and makes the negatives of my job stand out more.

But I'll stick it out like some of you mentioned until I find something I like. I've also found that since I know what I'm looking for and I'm not desperate, I can afford to be picky in my job search to increase my chances of getting a position I will enjoy.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Try to think in terms of what will benefit YOU the most in the long run. Don't focus as much on the short term, think about the big picture of your career over the next 10-20 years. Make your moves so that they benefit your long-term interests.

Focus on what YOU can get out of this situation - whether that is things to put on your resume (projects, length of time with current employer), skills in coping with boredom (maybe use the time to learn some new programming skills), practice in how to cope with working with people you don't like, making contacts in the industry for future networking, or just hanging in there until you either get a new job or get laid off and can collect UI.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post

If you have time to be surfing the whole day, then you have time to look for another job. Get on your smartphone and start sending resumes (don't use the company's network!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment