Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:35 AM

693 posts, read 1,506,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
How did this thread move so quickly from a complaint about the inadequacy of A/C to a complaint about wages? And how does minimum wage relate to the temperature in the workplace? Must be one of the fastest forum shifts recorded!
Another member said, I should ask for a wage increase and I responded I couldn't do that. Minimum wage has nothing to do with the temperature in the workplace. The only thing is we shouldn't have to suffer the heat on such low wages. Since they've been cutting a lot of hours, you'd think they would have some extra money they could use for the AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,548,064 times
I'd just start looking for another job. Retail places are generally poor to their employees. If they don't care about your issues it's a pretty good sign they are a pretty poor place to work.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 22,604,828 times
Customers can help! Every time you walk into a store that is too hot ask to speak to the manager. Tell them that instead of shopping you are walking out and it will be a very long time before you come back. If they get enough people doing this...they will fix the problem or close and go out of business. OP get your friends to help you with this. When people go shopping they'll spend hours looking around if they are comfortable; if not they'll come in quickly to buy what they need and GET OUT! It's not really good business sense to raise the thermostat!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Write in to corporate pretending you are a customer. Create numerous emails and use fictitious names. Use a different style of writing for each email.
This isn't a bad idea, but a better one would be to get friends to email and call as customers complaining about how hot the store is and they will no longer shop in there. Call the store directly.

Also the next time an overheated customer is at your register ask them to go complain to the manager on duty. Say to the customer "I know it's hot in here, but they won't listen to us, could you please say something to the manager".

If they hear enough complaints the mangagment will get nervous about losing customers. Less customers means less business, which means less employees or that location closing.

Nobody likes to shop or eat in a place that feels like a sauna.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM

815 posts, read 741,892 times
I feel your pain OP. My store isn't too terrible out on the sales floor, though it does get very sweaty after working for awhile. The big problem is the back room, no air conditioning at all, except for the manager's offices of course. I guess they figure customers can't go back there, and therefore can't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment