Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM

6,195 posts, read 4,664,335 times

Advertisements

If anyone has seen the business networking site Linkedin, you will notice there are default preferences for who should contact the users. One of the default preferences was the check box that says "contact me for career opportunities" implying that I'm looking for another job.

I realized that I had that checked, which wasn't really intentional, as it was a default setting. I'm a little concerned that perhaps my employer saw that and wonder if they would jump to any conclusions about why that was the way it was. It was up for several months before I realized this (I just goofed and didn't see this setting when I set my account up) and, of course HR could always peruse these kinds of things and wonder about my intentions. There have been some personnel changes in our office (due to retirements), so the chances are better now that they would have seen this than during other times. Am I being paranoid or worrying over nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,949,847 times
Probably not a big deal - If you really aren't looking for another job, you might as well uncheck it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,247,343 times
If your employer is checking you out on linkedin you probably have a problem regardless.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,358,682 times
watch out for potential scammers on linkedin as well. My sister works in online fraud for a bank and tells me of the stories of people pretending to be headhunters and mining private information from people.

There are a lot of recruiters on there who can become helpful but be careful with who you connect with. I started getting people all over the country requesting to join my network.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM

497 posts, read 699,524 times
I wouldn't worry about it. I have had all of the items checked in the past even though I wasn't looking for a job. Plus, if you are really concerned, just look to see who has been viewing your profile.

Just like with Facebook, LinkedIn allows you to set privacy controls. You may want to do this should you ever decide to start looking for another job.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,181,543 times
i thought that option also implied that you were open to people contacting you about THEIR career

Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM

6,195 posts, read 4,664,335 times
Thank you everyone. Whew. I feel better.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM

469 posts, read 915,798 times
I've found LinkedIn to be a tremendous networking aide. Mine was neglected for some time and once I opened it up for an update, all kinds of people came into the mix.

I've found a number of companies have asked to connect to them on LinkedIn, these were recruiters and other company reps. This is the way they keep up with the potential employees. I'm in Aviation Consulting and every job I've ever expressed interest in, they have hit my LinkedIn page.

Connections can have unintended consequences, so just keep your private and professional life separate. I'm very strict about this, don't even include family or friends unless they are directly related to your career or industry.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,390,140 times
Most people just use the deafults, don't have a clue how to change them. I am sure they would not care about which boxes were checked.
Personally in this age of disposable employees, you would be an idiot to not consider a job change if a better opportunity fell into your lap.
I do not like that every person you ever check out on linkedin. they are always on your "people you may know" or whatever... for ever and ever. There should be a way that you can clear out that cache. Someone I clicked on 3 years ago? that I am not linked to? WHY are they still coming up on my page?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,432,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Most people just use the deafults, don't have a clue how to change them. I am sure they would not care about which boxes were checked.
Personally in this age of disposable employees, you would be an idiot to not consider a job change if a better opportunity fell into your lap.
I do not like that every person you ever check out on linkedin. they are always on your "people you may know" or whatever... for ever and ever. There should be a way that you can clear out that cache. Someone I clicked on 3 years ago? that I am not linked to? WHY are they still coming up on my page?
You would probably have to pay for the premium Linkedin account to change those settings about the profile is my guess. I don't have the premium service, but I would guess you could change that.

For the original poster, I wouldn't worry too much. How many of your co-workers use Linkedin? They probably have those default settings as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment