U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM

116 posts, read 219,229 times

Advertisements

Which jobs are most in demand? I live in Houston, TX by the way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM

17,078 posts, read 20,429,450 times
In Houston, engineers for the oil companies are much in demand. My ds is a chemical engineer.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM

20,140 posts, read 17,869,122 times
Professional rich guy. The government will bend over backwards for you

Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,348,140 times
be a little wary when chasing the "it careers", factor in your interest, if I have no training how much money,school time will I have to invest, will I have to take out loans etc...

Nursing right now is the "in demand career" though many new nurses will say that the nursing boom is over. I don't want to disuade you from pursing an in demand career, just put some thought into it

Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,965,773 times
Talking about nursing being the hot career is so out of date. A lot of experienced nurses will tell you jobs are slim now, and their experience helps them stay employed. There never was a nursing shortage, just an attempt to lower wages. When you're in the hospital and you can't get your nurse, that's because they give her/him so many patients to attend to, in order to short staff. Money, folks...

Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,348,140 times
aye that is proably true that nursing is no longer the "hot career" still you would be fooled (at least in my expereince) by visiting the local cc, state univeristies and asking "what are you majoring in?", -nursing-"why?" because I can get a good job.

Business is pretty big now, 25% of college majors are business, still to the OP, choe carefully, take your time

Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,208,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
aye that is proably true that nursing is no longer the "hot career" still you would be fooled (at least in my expereince) by visiting the local cc, state univeristies and asking "what are you majoring in?", -nursing-"why?" because I can get a good job.

Business is pretty big now, 25% of college majors are business, still to the OP, choe carefully, take your time

This is because everywhere you turn the media is telling us " be a nurse, there is a nursing shortage"

Every career is having a hard time right now. The question is what do you want to do with your life? You may decide to go to college for the "in demand" career and hate it. No matter how much you make, if you are miserable, life will suck.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
be a little wary when chasing the "it careers", factor in your interest, if I have no training how much money,school time will I have to invest, will I have to take out loans etc...

Nursing right now is the "in demand career" though many new nurses will say that the nursing boom is over. I don't want to disuade you from pursing an in demand career, just put some thought into it

Yep. That "It career" might be the big thing now...and 5-10 years later it could be in serious decline as consumers have moved on to something else. Certain information technology careers are particularly susceptible to this.

OP, as for Houston, that city is well known for the Energy industry, especially oil and gas. It also has a decent footprint in the aerospace industry but I'm unsure about current job demand there.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 PM

67 posts, read 133,683 times
I would say the "traditional" in demand jobs are accountancy, I.T and engineering. However, people in these professions have also experienced huge job loss because of the recession. I don't, however, see a massive decline in I.T positions and so long as the world doesn't experience a huge disaster. I think engineering is a smart career choice, as people with engineering experience are ALWAYS needed, no matter what "state" the world is in. As such are doctors and nurses. Business people are also highly demanded, even in times of recession. However, this job market is overly saturated with graduates and people with experience.

If being in the health or engingeering sector isin't your thing, I suggest getting into IT and getting an extra skill set to help you compete. I think I.T people who are clued up about design, marketing and technical communications are very in demand. Also, I think all I.T people should learn how to create both Apple and Android mobile applications. This is definitley something you could put on your CV

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,461,782 times
Cyber security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment