Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sucks about working in retail?
Annoying/Rude customers 40 75.47%
(some) terrible accociates 27 50.94%
Long working hours 18 33.96%
Working on weekends 26 49.06%
Working late evenings 27 50.94%
Working on most holidays 24 45.28%
During big sales when too busy 19 35.85%
Minimum/Low wage 35 66.04%
Bad benefits 24 45.28%
Crappy managers 26 49.06%
Short breaks/meals 19 35.85%
Annoying phone calls from managers 11 20.75%
During Christmas/Holiday season 24 45.28%
Standing for hours on feet 27 50.94%
When customers trash my department 16 30.19%
Asking customers too much information 10 18.87%
Begging customers opening store cards 12 22.64%
Being on register 13 24.53%
When doing returns 12 22.64%
Annoying store policies 13 24.53%
Customers walking in minutes before closing 19 35.85%
Managers telling you "Do this, do that" constantly 18 33.96%
Being 'looked down' 24 45.28%
Getting threatened to be "written up" 13 24.53%
In danger of getting fired 12 22.64%
Different schedule/hours every week 25 47.17%
Other (?) 5 9.43%
Nothing, working in retail is great! 1 1.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 PM

808 posts, read 1,682,509 times

Advertisements

The poverty level wages. That's the biggest issue. Every job has stress. Every job has rude people be they customers or co-workers, but the low wage service jobs fueling this "recovery" don't even allow a person to finance the basics. Working retail is being full time poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,521,848 times
I've had a part-time job in retail for the past three years (in addition to my full-time job) and I've never made anything above minimum wage. My performance reviews are great, but the lack of increase in pay (however little it may be) is kind of frustrating.

That, and having customers talk down to me because I'm working in retail. I had one teenager tell me once that she didn't want my help because I was "gross-looking."

Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 AM

30,041 posts, read 25,158,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
It's not all bad.

If nothing else I always have great and hilarious new stories to tell my friends and family whenever I see them.
Yea, but toilet bowls don't throw hissy fits or talk back. Sometimes, I get extremely annoyed by customers just by standing in line with them. I would literally go insane if I had to directly deal with them. I would choose homelessness or picking crops in the 95 degree heat over dealing with those people. I'm glad others don't mind, because I would do TERRIBLE at a job like that.

And I'm serious... I would drive down to Alabama and pick fricken fruits or vegetables over dealing with the general public

Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM

12,335 posts, read 17,221,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
The poverty level wages. That's the biggest issue. Every job has stress. Every job has rude people be they customers or co-workers, but the low wage service jobs fueling this "recovery" don't even allow a person to finance the basics. Working retail is being full time poor.
The wages are very low. I was in retail for 7 years. I eventually moved up through store management to regional management, And while there was an increase at that point the hours were crazy, Along with travel. 60 + hours sometimes.

The Hotel business is so much better. The retail experience was a big help though getting this job that I am now at 7 + years.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM

34 posts, read 91,844 times
Every job I've had was retail except for a few. I was also a mail room clerk, a zoo keeper, animal hospital cage cleaner outer and many others before I got my calling in the medical field. I didn't mind it at all, I guess because I was a costumer oriented people person. I did not like the low wages , they were horrible. I still consider being a cashier, and remember the fond days of restocking shelves, but that would mean going back to making no $$ considering what I make now. So that pretty much stops me.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,844,306 times
I was never ashamed of working in retail, until one of my husband's friends said the rudest thing to me. We were sitting around the table talking about her husband needing a job with benefits. I suggested he go to the mall, fill out some applications, he could work at a boutique store and make great money (they pay better in my experience) with fantastic benefit. She just looked at me and say "My god, why would anyone want to work in retail???!?".

I was so shocked I couldn't say anything. After that, I was embarrassed by what I did, I had no idea that people felt that way. (naive of course)

Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 AM

30,554 posts, read 23,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Please share some of your experience and vote on the poll
You didn't include an, "All of the above" choice. That would be my vote.

As for telling stories...I could go on for days.

I will just ask this: If there is a display of each shirt directly above the stack of shirts you are looking at, AND, each one is in their proper bin according to size, why on EARTH do people have to pull out shirt after shirt after shirt to "look at it"? If they were sizing their kid, I understand that...but just to open it up and look at it, over and over and over again, when the damn shirt is ON DISPLAY right above? REALLY!?!?!?!!?

Oh and stop bitching to the cashier about the prices...they don't control those and no, your comments are not going to the boss. They know the boss doesn't care if you don't like the prices because a thousand others will pay that price. So stop it.

I'm so glad I don't work retail and haven't in years. I HATED that job!

Edit: I almost forgot my favorite story. Many, many years ago, when I was just getting started, I worked in a Christmas like shop for a few months. It was very busy because it was around Christmas time but that was ok because we kept busy. What got me the most was the businessman on Christmas Eve who came in about 10 minutes before we and the entire mall closed.

He came in, flew around the store just picking things off the shelves, not even giving a thought to what he was picking except to take a split second to think, "This is for a girl, this is for a boy". He whirled in to the store, flung himself all over the store, throwing things at random in his basket and deposited a large pile of merchandise on the counter not two minutes later. Whipped out his credit card and paid. He had so much stuff that we had NO other choice than to give him a black garbage bag to carry it all in. We simply did not have bags large enough and he didn't want multiple bags. He left the store with the black garbage bag of crap slung over his shoulder like some twisted version of an obligated Santa Claus.

I will never forget that image.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 834 times
This is exactly why retail sucks

Quote:
10:55customers, i hate you

You can clearly see we stop serving food at 11 but yet here you are with your massive family strolling in at 10:55 to place a massive order of food. thank you so much you ass, but the icing on the cake is that you order desserts that have to be put on hold until you’ve finished your meal so come 11:45 here we are making your desserts instead of being at home sleeping because we have a 9am shift in the morning, seriously if you’re that customer I wish I could spit on each ad every plate of food served to you.
Originally read it [url=http://iwishispitinyourfood.com/1055customers-i-hate-you/]I Wish I Spitin Your Food | 10:55customers, i hate you[/url]

Old 02-12-2016, 04:50 AM

190 posts, read 203,798 times
I worked retail for 25 years, in a college bookstore. I worked with general trade books, not textbooks. I love books, was an English major in college. The good things are that because there is so much turnover, there are many opportunities for advancement. I was hired as Christmas help and became head of stock, floor manager and buyer. My company then was managed by the Barnes and Noble college division. They paid me more than the independent store did, but again, you can easily advance. Yeah, the pay is not good. Nights, weekends. Most customers were ok. I liked selling books. Pots and pans, no. Retail workers are definitely underappreciated and work hard too.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,955,627 times
1.The wages are unlivable
2. The managers tend to be bitter college graduates who are mad that they got stuck in retail, so they treat you like crap and belittle you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment