Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

Lately, this 2011 and 2012 - I've been getting calls and emails from recruiters more than in 2009 and 2010. What I'm guessing is that by 2011 and 2012 recruiters already see a vast number of long term unemployed candidates that they now don't care if you're long term unemployed; they'll contact you if you have a good resume that matches their skills and experience requirements [or resume keywords]. I think my career stinks but I've had many recruiters tell me I have a good resume. Sometimes they email me for a Sr Mech Eng position which I have no mid level experience or some skills for. I have most of the skills needed but I don't know how to do a tolerance stackup, and they never teach this in an Eng college.

So how about you? Are you long term unemployed and getting calls from recruiters?

But I guess many long term unemployed wouldn't even be on this forum... Maybe they'd be homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
I wish I could agree with you, but it feels like my phone is ringing a little less. My city has a great 17% unemployment rate (and rising). I am finally looking into leaving CA and heading somewhere where actually finding a job is possible.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM

CA is the dumps and they are very hard on the homeless. I used to dream about living in CA but now it's only good for a vacation. I would like to visit LA and San Francisco. I don't know if San Diego is worth it. And work a temp job there when rent is expensive and state tax is like 10% - I'd only consider a temp job if it paid $36 + /hr, then I'd consider it an extended vacation. Plus it's a 3 day nightmare to drive to CA from Chicago, and I hate long road trips.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
You are smart. California has many beautiful things, that is what has kept me here I am in the middle of CA a couple of hours away I have the beach, the mountains, LA or SF. Now I am starting to look at the bigger picture and CA is only a plane ticket away there are 49 other states with other things to offer.
I am glad things are picking up in your state.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Chicago has a great beach, Houston's very hot but Gulf Coast beaches are full of seaweed - that's what I saw at Galvestion. You have to resort to swimming pools in Houston.

I wanna visit LA to see Hollywood, movie star's homes, taste In N Out, and visit Disneyland. What else is there to see in LA?

Chicago has good museums to see, and good enough shopping malls and various ethnic restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment