Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:14 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times

Advertisements

Well S.C. just passed the Cottage Food Law(damn this state is late on everything) and it allows people to sell handmade items such as certain baked goods out of their home. The thing is that you have to sell it directly to that customer not online, but nowadays that's how most transactions are made when you don't have a storefront. It's more convenient also.

I'm good at pound cakes, cookies, etc. I need money like yesterday(loans, bills, car, etc.). I actually want to open up a storefront bakery someday.

Anybody sell any handmade items online? What is your experience? I believe I have to get a retail business license in the state of SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I haven't sold anything, but I buy things off etsy quite a bit. You might want to browse their forums - its filled with people doing exactly what you're asking about doing.

here is the etsy Seller Handbook: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/the-seller-handbook/

Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have sold stained glass and woodworking items online, but not food. I *also have friends that make a lot of money buying items at garage sales and reselling online. I would never think of buying anything I would eat from Ebay or Craigslist, only from a well established retailer that has a shop and also sells online. Just too risky.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I haven't sold anything, but I buy things off etsy quite a bit. You might want to browse their forums - its filled with people doing exactly what you're asking about doing.

here is the etsy Seller Handbook: The Seller Handbook | The Etsy Blog
I have an account over there, but I've heard some bad things about it.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have sold stained glass and woodworking items online, but not food. I *also have friends that make a lot of money buying items at garage sales and reselling online. I would never think of buying anything I would eat from Ebay or Craigslist, only from a well established retailer that has a shop and also sells online. Just too risky.
I would never sell through those sites. It would either be Amazon, Etsy, Artfire, or Google Checkout.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,244 times
Love Etsy

Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
Default homemade online jobs

yes but was long time ago like 1994 never did make my supplies back money wise...they kept rejecting completed jobs (done to their specs ) sent the same orders in with no redos the 4th time they finally excepted the order i summited 3 times before good luck
debym

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Well S.C. just passed the Cottage Food Law(damn this state is late on everything) and it allows people to sell handmade items such as certain baked goods out of their home. The thing is that you have to sell it directly to that customer not online, but nowadays that's how most transactions are made when you don't have a storefront. It's more convenient also.

I'm good at pound cakes, cookies, etc. I need money like yesterday(loans, bills, car, etc.). I actually want to open up a storefront bakery someday.

Anybody sell any handmade items online? What is your experience? I believe I have to get a retail business license in the state of SC.
So.. I will say this. I have *personally* not sold anything handmade online. I kind of suck at crafts and I don't really bake.

However, I had a former coworker who as a hobby enjoyed baking and took one of those Wilton cake decorating classes at Michaels. A few times she brought in cakes for coworkers birthdays-- and people then started to ask her if she would not mind making a cake for say their kid, or their husband, or their church group, etc.

This turned into wedding cakes, shower cakes, you name it.

She put up a website and people through word of mouth continued to use her. For the life of me I can't fathom why she doesn't do this full time (she still holds down a job, the only thing I can think of is that her husband's group finally shut its doors --it was planned for awhile-- and he is looking for a new job). She is extremely talented. The prices in the beginning were heavily discounted I am sure for her to gain new clients, etc. I think now her costs are still lower than say a store front bakery-- and I swear her cakes ARE the best ones I have ever eaten-- including cakes done in upscale fine-dining restaurants.

Even when I moved to a new job, I purchased two of her cakes for my new office (well my whole team did for 2 birthdays). After raving about her cakes, my cousin asked me to order more cakes for a wedding shower for another cousin. So if you think about it this woman will have collected approximately $200+ (still waiting on the pricing for the feed 40 people cake I have ordered) just in a few weeks. Not to mention my new coworkers have taken down her info to order from her for their upcoming special occasions (another family birthday party, a baby shower).

In another city close to where my relatives live-- another lady did the same thing and just shared things at church and then folks would ask her randomly--- she would then bake to order. She does pies, etc. Word of mouth REALLY helped her.

I know another friend who her mother in the western part of our state did not bake so much but would make appetizers for events and then people would ask her to cater-- and then boom a few years later she has her own commercial kitchen, stopped her full time job, etc.

It happens-- but you will have to really figure out ways of getting your items to people to try, then mention that you can do orders, etc.

Oh-- something else-- I should add that happened to me just recently. A woman local in my city started making special small batch organic and health granolas. I found her through having the option to order a couple bags of the stuff from my weekly produce farm box delivery. I have spread her website to family and friends-- and now Whole Foods stocks her granola locally. I know a couple bakers have made bread to go into the produce box and then the produce box folks alert you how to re-order, etc.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:46 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
^Great post Lovetheduns! It's nice hearing that word of mouth is still very prevalent.

I agree that Etsy is awesome for homemade things, but probably not the place for baked goods.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
^Great post Lovetheduns! It's nice hearing that word of mouth is still very prevalent.

I agree that Etsy is awesome for homemade things, but probably not the place for baked goods.
I have to say-- that my little cousin is an incredible baker-- and she has been considering going down this path too-- and got a lot of confidence from the story about my former coworker.

My cousin doesn't really want to do it full time-- she is a teacher by trade-- but she would love to make her hobby pay a little.

Now, I should say I think word of mouth with this type of small business is very helpful and can have some pretty instant rewards (for the most part). I don't think it would be as successful as a business model for other things (although it is a great component of a small business).

Let's be honest-- people love to eat! And people love to eat baked goods aka desserts. Plus it is not very expensive.

My friend is trying to do a jewelry business and that is by far more complex even with word of mouth. Lets be real people don't buy high end diamond earrings all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment