Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 AM

461 posts, read 911,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I had three part time jobs.

An intermittent government job.
A piddly b.s. part time job that I just got.
A part time job working for the government but as an Independent Contractor.

I just got laid off from the Independent Contracting job today. Son of a B****! Just when I had it all lined up that I could make it, albeit barely, with all three jobs, this happens and now I'm back to where I was a month ago.

I am so f-en tired of fighting for a job.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this news! I know you were stressing out and then when you got the 3rd PT you had some relief. I don't have any real words of encouragement because sometimes you (you meaning a general you, not YOU you. LOL) don't want to hear it.

I really hope something turns around for you though--and fast! I do hope that you try and find some you time where you can unwind though. Even if only for a few minutes. Stress can be detrimental to your health and of course your mental well-being (not like I'm saying anything new lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
The government like the private sector knows too how to avoid paying their fair share! This is what I find most unbelievable!

For those that don't know Independent Contractors are not eligible for unemployment!

I am so sick of this crap!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 AM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
No job is secure. When you find a job, don't stop looking/networking and so forth. I've been laid off a couple times. Now I know better

There is no security these days. It's every man and women for themselves. Divided, we fall.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No job is secure. When you find a job, don't stop looking/networking and so forth. I've been laid off a couple times. Now I know better

There is no security these days. It's every man and women for themselves. Divided, we fall.
I am sure Threewolves as been looking with no luck. No one really wants to work three jobs they don't like. I am so sorry this happened to you Threewolves. That's all I can say. You are in my prayers. I am sure you are really trying and I hope something works out for you.

Have you considered asking local churches or charities for help with the rent? You might try freelance work which is a little easier to get. Fast food places like KFC and Long John Silvers are always hiring in my area anyway. I would look into selling plasma. In my area, you can get $200 a month. Not much, but when you don't have money, every little bit helps. Do you have a Labor Ready in your area? If yes, I would check them out. If you have a reliable car, consider delivering papers. Elderly folks are always in need of caregivers. Check out some caregiving agencies. Some examples are Help at Home and Comfort Keepers. You might also look into being a direct care professional helping adults with disabilities. These agencies seem to hire a lot and fairly quickly.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
Where you live, 3?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,665 times
I am so sorry for what happened to you. Part time temp unpaid intern and independent contractors that is the worst. I work hard because that is me. I do not kid myself about what hard work means anymore. They will cut you because someone does not like you. Or just to see the top guys get their bonus checks I seen it happen. Low wage jobs and temp and part time work is where were heading in the future job market. Rambler here is the thing their is not a payoff anymore. I ran the streets some as a kid. Never rat out a friend always keep your word. That was what I learned. But the workplace is not like that at all. You have to be willing to stick a knife in someone's back. My Dad has always done that he has always done well. And you know what he has always come out ahead and he always will. He makes tons of cash and a bonus every year. He would fire his best friend and then go have lunch. He has fried 100's at a time and then go play golf. He has worked for major companies never been without a job and offers on the table. I can not be that guy but if you are their is a big payoff. Three wolves look at food banks and talk to your friends you may need a place to stay. If they cut your hours at your other job. If you can not make your rent do not end up homeless it can happen these days sadly.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Default I am so very sorry....

Quote:
I had three part time jobs.

An intermittent government job.
A piddly b.s. part time job that I just got.

I just got laid off from the Independent Contracting job today. Son of a B****! Just when I had it all lined up that I could make it, albeit barely, with all three jobs, this happens and now I'm back to where I was a month ago.

I am so f-en tired of fighting for a job.

this has happened to you. I happen to believe that things happen for a reason - we may not know or understand the reason at the time, but I think it reveals itself to us when we need to know - this has been my experience anyway. The timing looks bad, BUT I have not forgotten about that other job, the one you REALLY want - that is still simmering there in the background, the one that could change your life for the better and give you what you want - freedom from worry, stability, enough money to be comfortable, and confirmation that all the hard times and effort you have gone through paid off and were worth it. I still am praying for you that this job becomes yours, and that you would have been struggling to figure out how to let you gubmint job go without feeling guilty that you were leaving them.......
Close a door....open a window.....I'm telling ya', I am old enough to know that this stuff really happens. I have seen it too many times. I know you are angry,hurt, pissed off, disgusted, mad, and everything else that this is happening again....you need to let it out not only because you can't hold all that inside, and it is healing. The dry spell has to end eventually. And remember, I still have fingers and 92 paws crossed here for ya'. Please, please, please....don't give up yet.....

Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Sorry Three Wolves. If its any consolation; I've got $10 in my checking account and soon my internet company will say "pay up or say goodbye" I work from home so internet is our lifeline but I've only got 3 hours from my part-time job this week and that will have to go to food because DSS has had our application for food stamps for 2 months and I still haven't heard anything; I talked to a caseworker last week; she said that the original caseworker didn't fill out the application correctly...so now we will starve. We are getting some help from others but I hate to seem greedy but something has to give and soon.

Good luck!

Leave the country and come back in illegally. The red carpet will be out.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
this has happened to you. I happen to believe that things happen for a reason - we may not know or understand the reason at the time, but I think it reveals itself to us when we need to know - this has been my experience anyway. The timing looks bad, BUT I have not forgotten about that other job, the one you REALLY want - that is still simmering there in the background, the one that could change your life for the better and give you what you want - freedom from worry, stability, enough money to be comfortable, and confirmation that all the hard times and effort you have gone through paid off and were worth it. I still am praying for you that this job becomes yours, and that you would have been struggling to figure out how to let you gubmint job go without feeling guilty that you were leaving them.......
Close a door....open a window.....I'm telling ya', I am old enough to know that this stuff really happens. I have seen it too many times. I know you are angry,hurt, pissed off, disgusted, mad, and everything else that this is happening again....you need to let it out not only because you can't hold all that inside, and it is healing. The dry spell has to end eventually. And remember, I still have fingers and 92 paws crossed here for ya'. Please, please, please....don't give up yet.....

Of course it happened for a reason. Of course. It's about the money and power. Always.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
Quote:
The word, "demoralizing" comes up, yet again.

Before I found the new part time gig, I did qualify for food stamps. I did not take them or complete the process, (I only went because a friend kept haranguing me about it), because, dang it, I'm a veteran, I'm college educated, I am qualified, wth, food stamps? NO!

Then I got the new part time gig which made me ineligible and that was ok. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to "be on the dole" and could make it on my own, regardless of how difficult that was going to be.

Now? I can't even believe I'm going to have to seriously consider it. Unfrickenbelievable.

"Join the military, go to college, work hard, it will pay off".

WHEN! When, EXACTLY, is that going to pay off?!
seriously, take the food stamps!!! i think 50% of the people around me are on them and damn, my $9.50 an hour doesn't qualify to receive them. and the waste i see with people using them just makes me sick. yesterday some kid tried to use food stamps to buy dog food for a dog he just found. that didn't bother me and somebody else stepped in and paid the bill since he couldn't. but most of the time i see people buying ridiculous totally overpriced junk at our local highway robbery food store. times have changed and it isn't OUR FAULT. the job market is pathetic. i've been in the same crap wage/no benefits job for six years now. not even one week off. it has gotten beyond old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment