Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times

Advertisements

I had three part time jobs.

An intermittent government job.
A piddly b.s. part time job that I just got.
A part time job working for the government but as an Independent Contractor.

I just got laid off from the Independent Contracting job today. Son of a B****! Just when I had it all lined up that I could make it, albeit barely, with all three jobs, this happens and now I'm back to where I was a month ago.

I am so f-en tired of fighting for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Geez... there is no justice.

I'm sorry, ThreeWolvesInSnow, and I understand how you feel... hunting for a job these days is so draining. You have the skills and everything else, but there aren't any jobs or they want to hire some toady vs. somebody who can do the work... ugh...

Again, I'm sorry and good luck.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,424,928 times
Right now, for a lot of us, timing is bad and sometimes luck (being in the right place at the right time). Sorry about your unexpected job loss.

I have read some of your posts and can relate to your plight. I got out of school years ago during a recession and looking back, I know my timing was off. Sometimes it is very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Many people who have been gainfully employed for years do not realize just how hard it is to look for a job. It is like a full time job just to job hunt. It can be incredibly demoralizing especially as time passes and you still don't have any work, even after lowering all your expectations and taking about anything.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Geez... there is no justice.

I'm sorry, ThreeWolvesInSnow, and I understand how you feel... hunting for a job these days is so draining. You have the skills and everything else, but there aren't any jobs or they want to hire some toady vs. somebody who can do the work... ugh...

Again, I'm sorry and good luck.
I'm a cross between bitter, sad and relieved. Bitter...obviously. Sad...Really? I get to stress yet again about my pets and rent? REALLY?! Relieved...I really disliked that job. But I kept it, no matter how I disliked it because it wasn't "that" bad and it brought me in some money. And you're right about the "toady" part. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Right now, for a lot of us, timing is bad and sometimes luck (being in the right place at the right time). Sorry about your unexpected job loss.

I have read some of your posts and can relate to your plight. I got out of school years ago during a recession and looking back, I know my timing was off. Sometimes it is very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Many people who have been gainfully employed for years do not realize just how hard it is to look for a job. It is like a full time job just to job hunt. It can be incredibly demoralizing especially as time passes and you still don't have any work, even after lowering all your expectations and taking about anything.
I have done this. This job I just got laid off from wasn't demoralizing but it sure as hell was way below my qualifications...I just took it because I had just moved here and it was offered to me. Well, duh, it's money, yes, I'll take it. The other part time job I got is truly, "lowering all of my expectations" and taking anything.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
Bummer.

Is there any hope of getting more hours at your other 2 part-time jobs?

Have you considered other ways of making a bit of extra cash, such as pet sitting or dog-walking? Or maybe offer your services for house cleaning on Craigslist, etc.? Just trying to toss out some ideas here...

Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
Sorry Three Wolves. If its any consolation; I've got $10 in my checking account and soon my internet company will say "pay up or say goodbye" I work from home so internet is our lifeline but I've only got 3 hours from my part-time job this week and that will have to go to food because DSS has had our application for food stamps for 2 months and I still haven't heard anything; I talked to a caseworker last week; she said that the original caseworker didn't fill out the application correctly...so now we will starve. We are getting some help from others but I hate to seem greedy but something has to give and soon.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Bummer.

Is there any hope of getting more hours at your other 2 part-time jobs?

Have you considered other ways of making a bit of extra cash, such as pet sitting or dog-walking? Or maybe offer your services for house cleaning on Craigslist, etc.? Just trying to toss out some ideas here...
Oh this has been quite a week, let me tell you. Extra hours? At the government job, that is not possible. I don't want to talk about my government job so it's hard to explain why it's not possible. It's just not.

The other part time job...well. We'll see what happens. I was told on Thursday night, at the end of the night, that one of the other workers was "crying that he only got" x amount of hours that week so, what did they do? Took away my Fri and Sat working there, (I have NO idea if that is permanent or just this week), so he could get some extra hours. See, I'm the new person, it's easy as pie to take from me to give to another...despite the fact that this person was offered to work last Saturday to give him hours and he didn't want it. The F!

I'm supposed to call on Monday to see what the new schedule is. One girl, I was told, is thinking of moving so that could open up some hours. I don't know. I was hired to work Thurs-Sat 2pm to 10pm and when I left Thursday, I got the inclination that one of two things was going to happen:

A) They're going to cut me because someone is whining about hours but are too chicken sh-- to do it to my face so will do it over the phone when I call on Monday. And wouldn't that just be the ICING ON THE CAKE.

B) They are going to ask me to work other days that I wasn't hired for and at first I thought, "This could be a problem because of my other job." Now? I guess that's NO problem at all since I apparently have ALL THE FRICKEN TIME IN THE WORLD NOW.

I am bitter but it's not necessarily the manager's fault who laid me off today. Without getting in to detail, I will say that there was a huge meeting recently and that all "areas" across the US, were going to be run the same way, according to the government and that was going to pretty much mean cuts. I won't say I had "no" idea but I figured since they didn't pay for my work, (Independent Contractor - they got the labor for free, another company paid me although I'm not an "employee"), that maybe I wouldn't be affected. I guess I should have known better.

I'm bitter because I feel like I did a good job when I was there. I cared. People often gave me a hard time for how much I cared because they just didn't care that much. ("Co-workers" in the sense they were working along side me.) I'm bitter because some of the people the government has on their payroll are complete and utter morons but I'll bet they still have a job. Yah, the other two part time jobs did sometimes affect this schedule but we always worked around it and no one ever told me they had an issue with it. If they did, they should have said something. My "boss" never had an issue with it. Really though, it was big government making changes, a "one size fits all" deal that is not even remotely wise, deciding yet again that they can run a business when in reality, they SUCK AT IT.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
I hope you can pick up some additional hours since you have "ALL THE FRICKEN TIME IN THE WORLD NOW." I have had much of the same the last 3 weeks now and have even started to clean house! OMG what?

I could go stand in line at the food pantry's here but one is closing up shop because they see the same people week after week! WTF??? but I won't because they'll give us a bunch of stuff one in this family doesn't like, namely pasta and cheese. How do you go through life without liking those 2 foods? And it's going to be 100 here today. GEEZ when the dice is stacked against you it really is double stacked!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM

The word, "demoralizing" comes up, yet again.

Before I found the new part time gig, I did qualify for food stamps. I did not take them or complete the process, (I only went because a friend kept haranguing me about it), because, dang it, I'm a veteran, I'm college educated, I am qualified, wth, food stamps? NO!

Then I got the new part time gig which made me ineligible and that was ok. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to "be on the dole" and could make it on my own, regardless of how difficult that was going to be.

Now? I can't even believe I'm going to have to seriously consider it. Unfrickenbelievable.

"Join the military, go to college, work hard, it will pay off".

WHEN! When, EXACTLY, is that going to pay off?!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

"Join the military, go to college, work hard, it will pay off".

WHEN! When, EXACTLY, is that going to pay off?!
I know what you mean... when, exactly is all this hard work, education, and experience going to pay off? Everwhere I turn, I see people with limited skills, terribly personalities, and total lack of ethics making it big in the world because they're lucky, they know the right people, or they are willing to stick a knife in somebody else's back to get ahead. Meanwhile, good people rot on the streets... and we're all supposed to ignore this and pretend there's no problem at all! Keep trumpeting "The Recovery" and how everything is going to turn out great if we just keep working harder! Yeah, well... I'm still waiting for the payout for all this effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment