Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
My cousin has a felony from ten years ago when she was younger (about 18-20 yrs old), now she is 30, served her time and ready to start her career.

Her felony is from robbing someone. She wants to attend college for Accountant degree now. However, she is afraid no company will hire her as an Accountant with CPA after she graduate.

I told her speak to the accountant counselor at the university and just pursue the degree and worry on the job part after graduation.

What is your advice to her? I think she should just pursue the degree.

Thanks,
Having an accounting degree will always benefit someone, especially if she wants to open her own business one day. But, depending on the laws in your state, most likely having a felony on her record will forbid her from being a CPA. You need to check with the professional licensing division for the state you are in.

Here in Missouri, there is legislation in place that will prevent a convicted felon of getting a REAL ESTATE LICENSE, if that isn't ironic. LOL

The reason that convicted felons are forbidden from having a CPA license (and many other types of licenses too), is because they are in close contact with other people's money. Since, overwhelmingly, felonies are usually connected in some way to money, it stands to reason that allowing someone with a prior history to be in charge in a fiduciary capacity, with people's money is really not a good idea.

If she is hell bent on being an accountant, she may have to settle for being an unlicensed one, working in the accounting department of a large company or corporation.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
since it occurred 10-12 years ago, and did her time i dont think this will be a problem
Oh, yes, it will - especially in financial institutions. Wells Fargo just fired someone who'd been with them for five years. Now in her late 50s, she was convicted of shoplifting at age 18 - she never served any time, I don't think. Wells Fargo said new regs required they get rid of anyone with a criminal record.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...onviction?lite

Getting the CPA may be easier than getting a job. But, by the time she's finished with school, the economy may have improved. The education will be a help. She may as well go for it.

Tough times.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
With a felony she would be difficult to bond and as others have said generally this will not allow her to get her CPA licensure.

Has she thought about construction? An industry where felonies don't matter.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I highly doubt she'll get a CPA license.

That said, maybe look at actuarial science. I believe that a previous felony that is over 10 years old will not bar you from actuarial licensing unless you were convicted of certain types of fraud, theft, or embezzlement.

Actuaries are in demand so a company might be willing to overlook an older conviction.

I would get in touch with some of the actuarial licensing organizations to check for sure before spending the money on education though.

You can not get licensed as a CPA with a previous felony.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I always find it strange that people continue to punish felons even after they paid their dues. Your cousin is going to find it incredibly difficult to get hired with a convicted felony especially since this felony has to do with theft and violence. Also most of her competitors probably don't have a felony which will make it harder for her to get a job as well. She has nothing to lose right now by going to college but she should realize that she is locked out of a lot of companies especially financial companies, especially if it requires her to be bonded.
if the felony were for drugs it would be no big deal after a decade, because it involves theft i wouldn't waste my time pursuing the degree. a cpa is in charge of money, peoples confidential info, etc.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, yes, it will - especially in financial institutions. Wells Fargo just fired someone who'd been with them for five years. Now in her late 50s, she was convicted of shoplifting at age 18 - she never served any time, I don't think. Wells Fargo said new regs required they get rid of anyone with a criminal record.

Wells Fargo fires employee for '72 shoplifting conviction - Bottom Line

Getting the CPA may be easier than getting a job. But, by the time she's finished with school, the economy may have improved. The education will be a help. She may as well go for it.

Tough times.
When we were opening our business we were required to have a full background check and a misdemeanor weapons conviction that I had in 1987 *almost* caused me to not get a business license. I have had many other "background checks" in the past and no one ever mentioned it, but this time it came up.

Convictions never go away. ever.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Rather than rely on an internet message forum or "hearsay" perhaps she should contact the state licensing body and submit her rap sheet to see if there is a chance she will be granted a waiver.

It would be a shame to invest in four years of college, the additional education required (150 hours in most states), spend two years working under a CPA, take all the exams and then find out the felony bars her from obtaining the license.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
I would think that anyone with any type of theft conviction would stay away from any position that requires you to handle money.

I think your friend is right to be concerned.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
I am a CPA and in the licensing process my state board of accountancy (MO) did a background check; on the initial license application, they specifically asked if the candidate has ever been convicted of (or pled guilty to) any crime (including misdemeanors and felonies) other than minor traffic violations. They do not state that it would SPECIFICALLY bar you from obtaining a license, but I imagine they handle it on a case-by-case basis and a financial-related crime would almost certainly result in denial of licensure.

Still, as others have said, even with a CPA license a felony would be a huge barrier to employment in an many companies.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
I told her speak to the accountant counselor at the university and just pursue the degree and worry on the job part after graduation.

The underlined was BAD advice, NOW is the time to get her questions answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment