Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

it's a dog eat dog world in the employment field today. no one has loyalty for anyone. get the best job you possibly can.

BY ALL MEANS, TELL HER TO TAKE THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
I've seen employers dump temp to hire employees in a heart beat. They have absolutely no loyality to temp employees. Tell her to take the new job. Especially if she isn't happy. It doesn't do anyone any good to stay at a job they don't like. It's just not worth it, lifes too short.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Last Tuesday, my wife started a new job. It is a temp-to-perm job in which she'll become permanent in 90 days. The pay is low, benefits are not great, and her co-workers are a lot older than her. She mainly took the job because she was having a tough time finding employment.

A few days ago, she heard from another company she had previously applied to. Because the opportunity sounded good, she went in for an interview this morning. The job is exactly what she wants to do, and they offer more pay, better benefits, better corporate culture, and more promotion opportunities. They seemed to love her, and may offer her the position in the next few days.

She feels really guilty about possibly leaving her current company, especially since she's supposed to help fill in for a woman going on leave in 2 weeks. Is it ethical for her to quit and move on to the new position? Is 2 weeks notice customary even though she just started? Should she make up an excuse if she quits, or just be straight forward and honest?
good question. i love business ethics questions.
not many people even care, obviously you do.
here are the ethics. which i think was the question.
she has been hired temp. if the other employer is willing to bring her in perm
go for it. any employee has the self interest right and self obligation to better themselves from temp to perm.
now if her current employer changes their tone and makes counter offer another story. but it is only fair of her to inform current employer of the offer of other employer if they can match or beat it consider them.
but if they dont (and they wont) she should walk. as a temp she has no obligation of 2 weeks notice. believe she wont get 2 weeks if they decide to dump her. be prepared for accusations of treason and a gut wrenching appeal to her loyalty from current temp employer if she leaves. all of it nonsense. amazing the same people that would have the temp agency leave a message on her home answering machine "congratulations your temporary assignment is complete we will contact you when you have another"
these same guys will beg like a puppy if you leave them.
unfortunately we of older generation have been programed to be loyal but that is not the game that employers currently play. ok?
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

7 posts, read 33,529 times
I think honesty is the best policy. No one will fault her for improving her quality of life and should be happy for her.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 PM

16 posts, read 54,768 times
What is unethical about taking employment that is suitable for you? Are employers unethical when they let you go? NO!!!! Please, you wouldn't even have to tell me twice to take a better paying job with better benefits. Finally, there is NO Guarantee that the temp to perm assignment will go permanent. I've heard horror stories about these kinds of situations.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Last Tuesday, my wife started a new job. It is a temp-to-perm job in which she'll become permanent in 90 days. The pay is low, benefits are not great, and her co-workers are a lot older than her. She mainly took the job because she was having a tough time finding employment.

A few days ago, she heard from another company she had previously applied to. Because the opportunity sounded good, she went in for an interview this morning. The job is exactly what she wants to do, and they offer more pay, better benefits, better corporate culture, and more promotion opportunities. They seemed to love her, and may offer her the position in the next few days.

She feels really guilty about possibly leaving her current company, especially since she's supposed to help fill in for a woman going on leave in 2 weeks. Is it ethical for her to quit and move on to the new position? Is 2 weeks notice customary even though she just started? Should she make up an excuse if she quits, or just be straight forward and honest?
i already posted to this one.
i am not listed.
i am hurt.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
This is 2007.
There is no loyalty from employers, so if she finds a better opportunity, she should take it. Feeling guilty? Why? If the company found someone better than her, they would let her go in a heartbeat.
Take care of yourself, nothing to feel guilty about there.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Employers have created the situation that is. No longer do they give incentives to remain loyal and stay on. So why wouldn't she leave. Loyalty is rarely rewarded in the job market these days...so go get the better position.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Better job w/benefits now available?

And she'd have to leave a temp position?

What long term obligation does she have to the current employer as a temp? IMO, none.

The employer can contact the temp agency and hire another person to replace her. If they can't, that's their problem ... don't make it yours. That's the name of the game in temp work.
Ditto on the above.

A permanent position holds more weight, in most cases, than a temp position that may or may "not" pan out. I held two temp jobs in the past that were supposed to be perm after 90 days, but it never happened due to budget concerns at one place and the position was "frozen" at the other company. I got tired of the non-committment and moved on. I didn't give notice at either place. I simply called the agencies and told them I wanted perm and was moving on. The agencies understood. No hard feelings were created (as far as I know) and I still use the one recruiter as a reference.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I would leave as soon as I can. Employers offer no loyalty (especially since your wife just started her present job) at all these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment