Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

How many hours should an unemployed person receiving UI benefits devote to job searches per week, on average? This is as much an ethical question as it is practical.

Also, is it ethically acceptable for a person receiving unemployment insurance to take a week-long vacation into the mountains camping or onto the beach, etc., and not seek employment during that period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM

644 posts, read 1,144,948 times
I don't get checks for being unemployed and I spend almost the whole day looking for a job. I think they should do the same. I mean it's the least they can do at the moment.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
It varies depending on what else you're doing. I don't think one can devote 40 hours to searching for a job while already spending 30 hours improving your employ-ability and skill-sets. But both combined should probably be 40+.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It varies depending on what else you're doing. I don't think one can devote 40 hours to searching for a job while already spending 30 hours improving your employ-ability and skill-sets. But both combined should probably be 40+.
I'm just curious, how do you expect most unemployed workers to improve "employ-ability and skill-sets"? I could see if they were in SOME occupations (e.g. programming, where you can generally volunteer for any number of open-source projects and code at home), but how do you expect a laid-off plumber (for example) to improve his skill-sets? It's not like tearing pipes out of the wall in his house and putting them back in is going to be of any help.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How many hours should an unemployed person receiving UI benefits devote to job searches per week, on average? This is as much an ethical question as it is practical.

Also, is it ethically acceptable for a person receiving unemployment insurance to take a week-long vacation into the mountains camping or onto the beach, etc., and not seek employment during that period of time?
I think it depends on what the person is doing. When I was laid off from my job in February, I spent about 3-4 hours per day looking for a job. I spent the other time during the day brushing up on my Excel skills, as all the jobs in the field I was trying to transition in to had "Excel" as a must. So, I wanted to be more familiar with it and reading the industry publications so I was current. This approach worked, as I was able to answer "yes" when asked if I could use Excel and I was hired.

As for the vacation, I think it depends on when it was planned and if it was refundable. And, if the person handles it right, they can still look for a job on vacation. The internet usually works on vacation too.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
8 hours a day monday to friday which will be a combination of applying to jobs, researching, and networking.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 AM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Unless you're looking and applying to any job in a 200 mile radius, you shouldn't spend more than 2-3 hours a day looking for and applying to jobs, especially with most jobs being online. I personally would bounce around between Indeed.com, and maybe Careerbuilder.

I mean, you shouldn't be able to spend more than that. That's like saying you should spend 5 hours working out in the gym. After an hour or two you're just wasting time.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I don't get checks for being unemployed and I spend almost the whole day looking for a job. I think they should do the same. I mean it's the least they can do at the moment.
Completely agree.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 AM

684 posts, read 824,771 times
When unemployed, one should always treat looking for a job like a full-time job.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
When unemployed, one should always treat looking for a job like a full-time job.
Exactly. All day, every day until you find a job. This is not only a good moral principle, it is very practical. Jobs are getting more and more scarce, and the sooner you get one the better your chances of surviving the upcoming economic drought. There are many who will not be able to find a job after their unemployment benefits run out.

Last edited by Bideshi; 08-10-2012 at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment