Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,355,887 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have one year left of college. I have posted on here before about degree/careers etc but since then my thoughts have changed a lot.

I am graduating (despite what my name says) with a bachelors of general studies.

What career can I pursue? Something with growth in it and a base pay of $12.00 or so a hour.

I am not good at hardcore math, which is why accounting degree fell though. I am not good at hardcore sales either.

I thought about taking some excel courses to maybe get an office job of some sort. I am great on computers and enjoy working on them.

Any ideas what I may could look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
What is a bachelors of 'general studies'? What specific things did you learn with the degree?

Just asking for clarification as I have not heard of that specific major before.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
^^^It's a major for people who don't have a major.

You might want to look at various retail management trainee positions which require a degree to get hired.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
^^^It's a major for people who don't have a major.

You might want to look at various retail management trainee positions which require a degree to get hired.
ok...thanks.

OP - you still have a year left. Is there any way you can adjust your schedule so that you graduate with ANY major?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
I was not familiar with it either: Bachelor of General Studies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP, What do you want to be when you grow up? If you're good with computers, have you considered taking on some computer courses that could train you for a position working in IT?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times
Is there any specific emphasis with your general degree? For example, perhaps you took more classes pertaining to accounting or business. You could list it as a BA/BS in General Studies with an emphasis in XYZ.

My degree is in one subject, but I have an emphasis in a particular sub-field of that subject. I list that on my resume because it's more of a business-related subject that can apply to most, if not all, fields.

If you have a year left, I'd do what others have suggested and maybe focus on some technical classes in computers/IT. You don't have to be extremely adept at math in the IT field. Just as long as you're good at problem solving in general, that is a plus.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Most people probably won't give you this advice, but I think you should drop out of school.

If Accounting is what you really want to do, it is eminently doable. The math involved is not difficult. What ... one semester of Calc and one of stat? You don't have the maturity and work ethic right now to get through it.

Stay out for a little while and when you feel ready, go back and finish the courses you need for the accounting degree.

If you get the General Studies degree, you'll just be flailing away in different directions, and you will have cost yourself years of your life.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times
A General studies major, depending on the school is another name for a liberal arts degree. I would suggest finishing up the degree in whatever credits you have if you towards the completion of your plan. The feeling of accomplishment might help you figure out your next step. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM

130 posts, read 365,421 times
At my school, a general studies degree is a degree with a lot of electives but you have three specializations. Each specialization is I think about 6 classes. I was thinking of doing the same thing but I realized that I would rather have a major in something, heck anything than general studies. OP, I would try to find at least something that you are interested in. If I was a manager, I would hire a history, spanish, or english major for a job before I hired the general studies person.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,736,754 times
I was wondering if anyone here could answer my question?

I am in a somewhat similar position as the OP, however I will be graduating in two years with a General Studies degree with an emphasis in design. I have had alot of design/architecture related courses and I have alot of experience with AutoCAD, Revitt, Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop. Will potential employers mainly just focus on the degree title, or will they also focus on any current job skills that I posess, that will prove to be beneficial for that particular job position?

I was going to switch over to Industrial Design however I don't want to necesarilly stay in college for four to six more years (which would be the case if I stuck with either Architecture or Industrial Design) so I was wondering if I can somehow be able to find work in that field even without an "official" Industrial Design degree?

Last edited by diablo234; 08-21-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment