Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times

Advertisements

let me explain.

i've been at my job for two years. during these past two years, if i do 6+ hours of ACTUAL work/week that would be a lot. and i am here for 50+ hours. that means about 44 hours/week i either need to try to find other things to occupy my time OR make myself look busy.

other than the fact that each day is extremely boring and tedious, time seems to just drag. add on the fact that i work with people, who for the most part are much older than me, my job is really starting to bring me down.

i am 28 years old. i am in the prime of my career where i should be progressing, learning new things, making friends/connections. instead, i sit at my desk for 9+ hours straight (we are not really permitted to take a lunch break - it is frowned upon) and just vegetate. i am actively looking for new work but this role is so specialized/niche that i would need to basically make a complete career change and i am finding it difficult.

anyway, i just wanted to rant a bit. thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 PM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Hang in there...

Old 07-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Hang in there...
i am. luckily i work for a very well known/respected company so it has boosted my resume at least on the surface. but it is so upsetting to see friends my age hanging out with co-workers, being challenged at work, getting raises/promotions, etc.

i have realized none of that as of yet here. and it is a recurring theme around the company. many Glassdoor reviews make mention of it.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Are you adequately compensated?

Have you spoken to your manager about career opportunities?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:23 PM

379 posts, read 359,432 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iiOEQOtBlQ

Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are you adequately compensated?

Have you spoken to your manager about career opportunities?
Yes relatively fairly but no promotions or real raises in sight

Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
Yes relatively fairly but no promotions or real raises in sight
What kind of work do you do? I wish I could find a job where I don't have to do anything, as boring as it seems!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
What kind of work do you do? I wish I could find a job where I don't have to do anything, as boring as it seems!
No you don't, trust me

I work in operations and trade management at a broker dealer

Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
let me explain.

i've been at my job for two years. during these past two years, if i do 6+ hours of ACTUAL work/week that would be a lot. and i am here for 50+ hours. that means about 44 hours/week i either need to try to find other things to occupy my time OR make myself look busy.

other than the fact that each day is extremely boring and tedious, time seems to just drag. add on the fact that i work with people, who for the most part are much older than me, my job is really starting to bring me down.

i am 28 years old. i am in the prime of my career where i should be progressing, learning new things, making friends/connections. instead, i sit at my desk for 9+ hours straight (we are not really permitted to take a lunch break - it is frowned upon) and just vegetate. i am actively looking for new work but this role is so specialized/niche that i would need to basically make a complete career change and i am finding it difficult.

anyway, i just wanted to rant a bit. thanks for listening.
I was in a very similar situation. What eventually happened is I, along with many in my department got laid off as the company finally figured out they didn't need all of us.

What you should be doing, is progressing in some form RIGHT NOW. YOU have to motivate yourself, and it may not be easy. YOU have to find a way to explore new horizons. I don't know if you are in a cubicle all the time where everybody is watching, or if you have more freedom, but you have to find a way. Get a real estate license, start learning a language, become a notary, I don't know, but do something, make some inroads into a place you can either transition into or enrich yourself, don't waste your time trying to 'look busy'. Many would give their left nut to have such a soft job!

Good luck,

Old 07-07-2015, 02:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
You are in a slot that your franchise requires a dealer to have. There are other people in that same slot in your franchise in other states. Contact a few of them, but not in your state and see what their promotion prospects may be. Where dod your predecessor go? Was your predecessor promoted in the organization? Some franchises are just plain peculiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment