Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

I am in the state of CA, and this job pays really well. I am a sociology student with a concentration in criminal justice.

I am looking at drug and alcohol counseling vs. juvenile hall officer.

I could intern at either.

I know counseling is an 8-5 job, but what about juvenile hall? I would not want an over night or early morning job.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
When I briefly looked into it, you are right it does pay well. The juvenile detention facility in OC, CA I believe worked 3 shifts just like our group home that supervised the juvenile offenders. I remember asking a guy what do I do if I am threatened, I can handle myself pretty well, but some of those "kids" are quite big and mean. He told me you just hit this emergency pager get out of the way and three big thugs, security, will come out and just starting knocking everyone out no questions asked. That was back in 95-96. I think it paid $17 an hour starting. I just didn't want to be a jailor. It's really hard not become jaded when you deal with such bad kids. I miss working with those guys at the group home it was so stressful, but I did feel like I made a small difference with some of them. I just couldn't live on $6 hour and no benefits so after a year they laid me off and I never went back into that field. I think as the new guy you are game for graveyard sorry. I always worked swing shift as I am a bit of night owl. I worked 3-11 at the home.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM

The job says it requires you to have a BA. So do they start you with graveyard shift and then eventually after seniority you get the better shifts?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The job says it requires you to have a BA. So do they start you with graveyard shift and then eventually after seniority you get the better shifts?
That's how it worked at the group home I worked at, seniority. The guy whom worked graveyard loved it because he was working on his masters, and just sat in the office all night doing hw and doing the bed checks when need be. But being juvenile hall I don't think you will be allowed to read or do as you wish if you are graveyard.

The good thing is if you like this kind of work getting this job would open up a world of oppps., probation, adult corrections, etc.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's how it worked at the group home I worked at, seniority. The guy whom worked graveyard loved it because he was working on his masters, and just sat in the office all night doing hw and doing the bed checks when need be. But being juvenile hall I don't think you will be allowed to read or do as you wish if you are graveyard.

The good thing is if you like this kind of work getting this job would open up a world of oppps., probation, adult corrections, etc.
I could do probation if I wanted to. Same BA requirement. But it's harder work, so not interested.

I dont mind graveyard shift or early morning starting out as long as I know it's permanent.

Ok, so another question is then who works the holidays? Christmas Eve and Christmas are a must have.

I don't suppose they leave the wards unattended.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM

I don't know, but logic tell me seniority always. Ask if they are union, if they are seniority I would say. I think I have tapped my knowledge on this one good luck. I had my BA in Sociology before I ever did social work.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
In a job like that, it's 24/7, they never close, and the "wards" are never left unattended. People with seniority get the better shifts plus holidays off. Newbies get to start out on graveyards, and work every holiday. You have to start somewhere.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
In a job like that, it's 24/7, they never close, and the "wards" are never left unattended. People with seniority get the better shifts plus holidays off. Newbies get to start out on graveyards, and work every holiday. You have to start somewhere.
So eventually the job would get better.

Right now, I think I am going to stick with my first choice of being a drug and alcohol counselor.

My goal is to get a $375,000 home (i intend it to be first and last home) in a beach town that I like very much. My fiance I think won't be getting a BA, but she will have her AA.

So it's up to me to make the most money, and I expect us to have two kids down the road.

Both are parents live nearby, and we like the area we grew up in.

The drug and alcohol counselor position I start off with earning $43K-$53K, but I'm thinking I can get promoted to at least drug and alcohol counselor lvl 3 which makes up to $63,000 a year.

I'm thinking if she gets a job making $30,000 a year we can avoid that mortage.

I don't like to travel, and she doesn't care, so are only luxuries would be location of home and also nice clothes from the mall.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Right now, I think I am going to stick with my first choice of being a drug and alcohol counselor.

If you want a regular 9-5 day job, stick to the above job.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So eventually the job would get better.

My goal is to get a $375,000 home (i intend it to be first and last home) in a beach town that I like very much. My fiance I think won't be getting a BA, but she will have her AA.

So it's up to me to make the most money, and I expect us to have two kids down the road.

Both are parents live nearby, and we like the area we grew up in.

The drug and alcohol counselor position I start off with earning $43K-$53K, but I'm thinking I can get promoted to at least drug and alcohol counselor lvl 3 which makes up to $63,000 a year.

I'm thinking if she gets a job making $30,000 a year we can avoid that mortage.

I don't like to travel, and she doesn't care, so are only luxuries would be location of home and also nice clothes from the mall.
$375k home, both of you are making in the $30k-$50k range, AND you are planning on having two kids? You also have to remember property taxes are based on the value of the home, as well as insurance. Plus, the larger the home the higher the electric bills.

Besides, based on location, your insurance will be astronomical. I live near Galveston and people who build right on the beach know full well that there is a VERY good chance their house will be destroyed by a tropical storm or hurricane. Bolivar Peninsula, which is directly east of Galveston, literally looked like an atom bomb had been dropped on it after Hurricane Ike. Every single beach house was leveled, there were upside down cars and pickup trucks littering the landscape, and sailboats were in people's yards. They were finding dead bodies for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment