Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 3,544 times

Advertisements

I am a US citizen living in Europe. I have applied for a few online jobs. I don't understand why are these companies replying that they only hire in USA.

Is there a US government policy I am not familiar with? I am a US citizen so i could not be work authorization or visa issues, then what can it be?

What if i had being living in the US when i got the job and then moved to Europe? How would these companies know where I am? Keep in mind, the job is online/remote so all communication is done through email or phone.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
I think it's mainly because they want you to be online during the same time as the rest of the company. Time zones and all that.

Also taxation may be tricky? Not sure.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 3,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I think it's mainly because they want you to be online during the same time as the rest of the company. Time zones and all that.

Also taxation may be tricky? Not sure.
I see. I will dig into taxation rules.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzaa View Post
I see. I will dig into taxation rules.
Yeah I know as a US citizen you're taxed by the US no matter where in the world you live. Although I think I read something saying Trump was trying to eliminate that. Could be wrong though.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:38 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Taxation, possibly needing to be online during US business hours and in addition, many companies want to highlight that their workforce is "US based" as many businesses/people do not like to do business with companies who hire outside of the US (even if you're a citizen). Just the connotation that you're living abroad is a negative in many people's eyes.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:40 AM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
In addition to all of the above, some types of data are restricted from leaving the country (e.g., a lot of health care data). Also, the US companies likely don't want to have to learn and/or comply with the employment laws in another country, which would likely apply regardless of where the company itself is based.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
In addition to all of the above, some types of data are restricted from leaving the country (e.g., a lot of health care data). Also, the US companies likely don't want to have to learn and/or comply with the employment laws in another country, which would likely apply regardless of where the company itself is based.
This is a good point. Has definitely become more of an issue over the past few years.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
We have restrictions in place on certain things originating outside the US. Time zones are a problem. It's just an inconvenience layered on top of the normal remote barriers.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:55 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
GDPR in Europe and the labor laws are definitely major concerns.

Even if OP agreed to work on a European holiday for no extra money to align with the US I’d bet the country’s labor authority wouldn’t.

Also, unless the company already had a presence and office in that country it’s a huge burden to now have to deal with the red tape and paperwork.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I worked at a place (remotely) where someone indicated a former employee hid the fact that he had moved abroad and somehow tried to keep working remotely without notifying his employer. I can't remember the specifics but somehow they found out and, of course, terminated him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment