Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,912 times

Advertisements

Our IT guy is constantly absent for EVERY reason in the book: I'm sick, kid is sick, dog is sick, doctors appt, and the funniest is that his house caught on fire and the police broke his front door so he couldn't leave home. On top of that we have the sweet benefit of getting every other Friday off, BUT he never schedules any of his appts or errands on his Fridays off. There's often weeks where he's only in 2-3 days.

Usually I don't care but lately it's been really pissing me off because it's affecting my work. Since I'm tech savvy I'm usually called upon to be the IT guy when he's gone. I'm in marketing and web services and often have my own deadlines that I'm scrambling to complete. Last week I was doing a very important project for our CEO and board members, once again he's out, and I have to step away to fix someones Outlook and troubleshoot the projector. I'm not one to complain to the other co-workers "that's not my job!" because I hate it when people refuse to go beyond their duties but it pisses me off because the IT guy is rarely present to do his own job and I'm often picking up his slack.

He also has a poor attitude and poor work ethic. His poor attitude and poor work lead others to even contact me first for their computer problems. When asked to do something he often pouts and complains because he actually has work to do. His work itself sucks too. The CEO recently bought a nice expensive laptop and it was his job to set it up. The CEO now HATES the laptop because it has a ton of crapware still preinstalled on it. There are constantly Lo-Jack and Sign UP! Antivirus pop ups that should've been wiped out from the start. He pretty much only does enough not to get fired.

I hate to be a snitch or whistle blower but this guy has really pissed me off and I'm planning to go to HR. The main issue I want to address is his constant absence but I also believe we could have a more driven younger and cheaper IT guy. How should I address this problem in a professional manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Leave well enough alone. His behavior is not going unnoticed by others, I can assure you.
I've never been a fan of snitching on your fellow rank-and-file, anyway.
By the way, your CEO should know how to set up his own laptop, for heaven's sake.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Doesn't he have a supervisor? Next time someone asks you to help, steer him or her to his supervisor while giving an excuse "I really love to help you out but I got a deadline with the CEO for blah blah. Would you mind talking to XYZ's supervisor? I am sure you will get the help you need."

Works wonder.

If you go to HR, you basically slap both your supervisor and his right in their faces.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Be stern and cover just your area of responsibilities. If you always say yes, no one will ever notice. Stop covering for him.

If anyone asks why you can't help, have them ask the CEO and that you are working on a project.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Why did you have to fix someone's outlook and the projector? Simply tell them it isn't your job and you don't have time and they should contact whoever the IT guy reports to.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
There's no need to be rude. I really hate people pulling "this is not my job" line. Well, we all work in the same company. We need to work as a team. That line shouldn't come from an employee. It's the supervisor who defines the employee's job responsibility. Whether or not it is the employee's responsibility should be discussion between the supervisor and the said employee. It is not right to say that to a coworker.

Just do what I suggested. That's professional and polite. Done that myself quite a few times.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-18-2012 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There's no need to be rude. I really hate people pulling "this is not my job" line. Well, we all work in the same company. We need to work as a team.
EXACTLY! I really despise that line. The people that go above and beyond their line of work are the ones that succeed and the ones that "just do their job" rarely ever get ahead. If someone asks me to fix their computer and I have the knowledge to fix it, I will fix it with no questions asked. If the trash needs to be taken out, I'll take it out. I have no problems with the people asking me for help because I try to be a team player.

The thing that bothers the hell out of me is that he does not hold his end of the bargain. He's constantly absent and can't do his own work which leaves me to work longer days and pick up his slack. I'm cool with covering someone for an appt here and there, sick, or go on a family vacation but it's a bit ridiculous when it's EVERY week.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 AM

70 posts, read 238,192 times
I'm sorry about your situation! How big is your company? Does your HR department work with this guy too? Maybe they've already seen how much he's slacking (don't most companies keep track of their employee's time off?) and are slow to do anything about it.

Your best bet may be to politely turn people down when you are asked for computer help while busy with other projects. Eventually these people will start complaining about that guy's behavior, if it's not happening already.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
EXACTLY! I really despise that line. The people that go above and beyond their line of work are the ones that succeed and the ones that "just do their job" rarely ever get ahead. If someone asks me to fix their computer and I have the knowledge to fix it, I will fix it with no questions asked. If the trash needs to be taken out, I'll take it out. I have no problems with the people asking me for help because I try to be a team player.
If you think putting off your CEO and BOD for fixing someone's computer is the way to get ahead then knock yourself out.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If you think putting off your CEO and BOD for fixing someone's computer is the way to get ahead then knock yourself out.
I don't put them off, I do both tasks which usually means I have to stay later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment