U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM

952 posts, read 2,417,477 times

Advertisements

i work for a company that has offices nationwide.

I am one of 8 IT Contractors.

I work in the San Antonio office. The other guy works in the MA office. He was just hired, he REPLACED a full time employee that left a few months ago. He started in Feb this year........... I STARTED 2 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone tell me what the difference is IF they had hired me here in SA office and them hiring the other IT guy in the MA office, is there any difference?

I'm just trying to understand the logic of it all. Last i heard in JULY (just when the IT department received new budgets), THERE WAS NO BUDGETS TO HIRE ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM

11,163 posts, read 20,258,701 times
Did he replace a worker in TX or in MASS?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM

he replaced a f/t employee in MA that left a few months back. What my supervisor told me at the time was that they were NOT looking for anyone to replacing him gone, if anything just bring in a TEMP or contractor to fill the position. BUT it WAS only HIM + the full time. and when the full timer left, it was only a contractor managing that site/users.

But what difference does it make? I've been WAITING to get hired.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM

I am here in TX and i work with 2 other full timers.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM

570 posts, read 1,639,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Can someone tell me what the difference is IF they had hired me here in SA office and them hiring the other IT guy in the MA office, is there any difference?

I'm just trying to understand the logic of it all. Last i heard in JULY (just when the IT department received new budgets), THERE WAS NO BUDGETS TO HIRE ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about your company. For my company, there is no different on where you get hire or where you work. Maybe the one in MA office will get more money because of location. Not sure why you care who they hire in another locaiton.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM

25,533 posts, read 12,629,821 times
If you want to be hired as full timer, you need to behave like a full timer.

I just brought a contractor onto full time not too long awhile and let go a different contractor (didn't continue the contract) who was working along with him.

You ask why? Well, this guy has always put the company's interests before his or his own company's. He volunteered a lot of weekend work and late nights. He's considerate in protecting my company's business. He did everything we asked him to do without giving us "Oh, you need to go through my project manager..." He's great with users and coworkers. He kept us very well informed on everything we asked him to do... If he had nothing to do, he would come and ask us for more work.

I can go on and on but you got the gist.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you want to be hired as full timer, you need to behave like a full timer.

I just brought a contractor onto full time not too long awhile and let go a different contractor (didn't continue the contract) who was working along with him.

You ask why? Well, this guy has always put the company's interests before his or his own company's. He volunteered a lot of weekend work and late nights. He's considerate in protecting my company's business. He did everything we asked him to do without giving us "Oh, you need to go through my project manager..." He's great with users and coworkers. He kept us very well informed on everything we asked him to do... If he had nothing to do, he would come and ask us for more work.

I can go on and on but you got the gist.
lol i get the gist alright, it's a shame my supervisor and IT managers simply ignores user request to have be perm in the office location. - i know this because a lot of the users i work closely with always blind copy me in their emails that they send to my manager asking her why I'm not hired yet. I pretty much have done so much more in the 2 years i have been here than the guy in MA being with the company for 8/9 months!!!

The things i am doing now are the SAME that other full timers are doing fyi...

Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
I don't know about your company. For my company, there is no different on where you get hire or where you work. Maybe the one in MA office will get more money because of location. Not sure why you care who they hire in another locaiton.
what bothers me is that i have been with the company for 2 years waiting to get perm, being ASSERTIVE as some would say, telling them to HIRE ME! of course i get recommendations from users telling my supervisor and manager to hire me!!

But I do find it nice for them to tell me that there were no budgets then all of a sudden the guy in Ma gets hired on. Don't you just love corporate America!?!?!?!

Move you I hear you say??oh yeh sure. just because i work in IT doesn't mean i can find a f/t position here in SA!!! it's not like that. and I won't move to another state for a contract position either!!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM

25,533 posts, read 12,629,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
lol i get the gist alright, it's a shame my supervisor and IT managers simply ignores user request to have be perm in the office location. - i know this because a lot of the users i work closely with always blind copy me in their emails that they send to my manager asking her why I'm not hired yet. I pretty much have done so much more in the 2 years i have been here than the guy in MA being with the company for 8/9 months!!!

The things i am doing now are the SAME that other full timers are doing fyi...
Seriously, just from this paragraph, I wouldn't hire you either. :-(

At this point, I would suggest you to seek for other employment. You probably have enough animosity built up that you won't be hired.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 PM

[quote=lifeexplorer;26716095]
Quote:
He volunteered

o/t or volunteer as a IT contractor for the company I work - DOES NOT EXIST!!! do you know we are in the middle of migrating users from XP to Win 7, and they need VOLUNTEERS for the migration!?!?! did i raise my hand and offer - YES!!! only to be told - SORRY ONLY FOR FULL TIMERS ) YAYYYYYYYYYYYY

because the department will not pay for EXPENSES! Expenses only for the full timers NOT the IT contractors yipeeeeeeeeeea lot of weekend work and late nights. He's considerate in protecting my company's business. He did everything we asked him to do without giving us "Oh, you need to go through my project manager..." He's great with users and coworkers. He kept us very well informed on everything we asked him to do... If he had nothing to do, he would come and ask us for more work.

Quote:
He did everything we asked him to do

yep i do the same!!! I do the escalation that they give me!!!no questions asked!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment