Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,427 times

Advertisements

I never said it should be glossed over or that it didn't exist. In fact, I said it clearly does! But if someone comes on here and just reads this with no other info or context about the triangle it makes it look like that's ALL that's here and that's not true either. That was simply my only point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Attempting to get back to the point of the original post (sheesh guys! NOBODY implied the whole triangle was racist!)...

I agree, you should record it, and you really must go to HR about it. It's just the right thing to do. Racist coworkers are toxins in the workplace. If you present a recording, it'll be less uncomfortable for you later (the offenders will get fired).

That's such a disgusting situation, sorry you are stuck in it but it's good that you're willing to try and do something about it.

If they do nothing...call local NAACP.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

29 posts, read 135,693 times
I would definitely tape them. don't use the tape unless you have to. If you let them know you don't approve perhaps they'll learn that their behavior is not acceptable. After all they're the ignorant ones. I would keep careful documentation so if you had to go to the authorities your complaint will be founded. If you don't get satisfaction, you could always let the evening news know about your dilemma. You can pick up a pocket tape recorder at an office supply store for about $255.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

29 posts, read 135,693 times
sorry, my error. a recorder is $25.00.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post

If they do nothing...call local NAACP.
Do that and you're almost assured an appearence by Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, or both

Then we really will be defending the Triangle as not wholly racist.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
WTF????!!!
don't waste any time trying to figure him out (Bunky39)- he always posts such random stuff

I think when it comes to these kinds of issues where you have to be with people day in and day out, you have to speak up and establish what is and isn't okay with you. You cannot force these racists to discard those ugly views, but you can take a stand and refuse to participate. Staying silent will give them the impression you agree with them! Speak up (politely and calmly of course).

Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default lose your job

I would be willing to bet that in the end this will hurt you (reporting it that is).
You will be the focus of being made miserable at your job by these co workers. Dont think for a minute that you can hide your identity on this and still report them, it will never happen.

Since the employees never acted on their words,
never directed them towards anyone (like calling a black person a n^&*)
And most likely not been told in the past to not do this.
The most that will happen is a warning to them but you will get alot worse in the end.

Yes it is the right thing to do so you will never be wrong for speaking up but just think it through. I have been burned many times in the past for things like this. Maybe one day a person that will be offended directly will be around to hear it by "accident" wink wink

This happens everywhere to some degree, not just in the area. I am sure that I get plenty of fake smiles and spoken about but really I dont care because I can see through it very easily.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
don't waste any time trying to figure him out - he always posts such random stuff

I think when it comes to these kinds of issues where you have to be with people day in and day out, you have to speak up and establish what is and isn't okay with you. You cannot force these racists to discard those ugly views, but you can take a stand and refuse to participate. Staying silent has given them the impression you agree with them! Speak up (politely and calmly of course).

Good advise and thanks everyone for the advice. For now I'm just gonna speak out when they start with the racist behavior. I did today and I think one of them got the hint. The problem with recording all of this, is that it's not everyday and sometimes it'll be a quick comment here or there. I couldn't leave the tape recorder on and it's not like I can turn it on and have them repeat what they said...lol.

I in no way meant to say that the Triangle area is racist and I'm sorry if some got that impression. This area is highly educated and diverse (especially for NC) compared to many other areas of the country. I was just speaking about my issue and not an issue with the whole area. I do love it here and I'm glad we moved, but I am experiencing more racism at work then I have every experienced in my lifetime. I mean I know some people are racists, but usually they will leave that kind of behavior for home or around their "buddies". I'm just shocked that it's in the workplace as much as I've seen. Again this is not happening all over the Triangle, but it is a reality in my office.

So I'm just going to take a stand at work and if I get rediculed for it or seem to get nowhere going that route, then I will have to persue other avenues. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation01 View Post
Good advise and thanks everyone for the advice. For now I'm just gonna speak out when they start with the racist behavior. I did today and I think one of them got the hint. The problem with recording all of this, is that it's not everyday and sometimes it'll be a quick comment here or there. I couldn't leave the tape recorder on and it's not like I can turn it on and have them repeat what they said...lol.

I in no way meant to say that the Triangle area is racist and I'm sorry if some got that impression. This area is highly educated and diverse (especially for NC) compared to many other areas of the country. I was just speaking about my issue and not an issue with the whole area. I do love it here and I'm glad we moved, but I am experiencing more racism at work then I have every experienced in my lifetime. I mean I know some people are racists, but usually they will leave that kind of behavior for home or around their "buddies". I'm just shocked that it's in the workplace as much as I've seen. Again this is not happening all over the Triangle, but it is a reality in my office.

So I'm just going to take a stand at work and if I get rediculed for it or seem to get nowhere going that route, then I will have to persue other avenues. Thanks!
If you decide you need record their comments and you own an iPod, you can buy a small microphone that hooks into it that turns the iPod into a recorder. Some do not look like microphones, others do. We bought one when our kids were toddlers and would leave it on in the room to catch them saying funny things. You'll have to experiment with the distance it can be from the person and if it can be in your coat pocket etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation01 View Post
I work for a Govt. Agency and I'd say it's about half black half white. The little office I work in houses 3 other people besides me and they are constantly making racist jokes and using the "N-word". When a black employee comes in they help him and do what is necessary, but as soon as they leave they constantly talk bad about blacks. The manager said "once a N***er always a N***er". I was totally floored, but I realize that racism does exist in Raleigh and it's actually out in the open. Anyway, I know if I go to HR, there will be a backlash on me, since these guys will know that I am the one that ratted them out. Is they any other way I can do this? I guess I'm not just a good old boy and I can't bring myself to laugh at this crap.

Any suggestions?
Don't waste your time confronting the people responsible. If you do and from your post it appears that there are several individuals who are making racist remarks,then record the conversations on tape. If you complain to them then you may find that the next time you walk into work they have made a complaint to someone that it is you that has made the remarks or some such similar complaint. If you are on your own in this matter then record several instances of the behaviour and make a complaint to an independent body who may take up your case. If you are a particularly strong individual you may want to take it up with HR yourself but , if this sort of behaviour is prevalent in the dept or organisation you should expect repercussions and plan for them otherwise your good intentioned actions may backfire. If the racists remarks identify the person to whom they are directed you could always provide them with the recording as they may wish to take action on their own behalf.
Just a few thoughts hope they help
I just reread your post and saw that the manager was involved , this makes it especially dangerous for you that they will close ranks , you definitely need evidence in the form of recordings or notes (recordings are the best evidence in the absence of a supporting witness)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment