Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,988 times

Advertisements

I work for a Govt. Agency and I'd say it's about half black half white. The little office I work in houses 3 other people besides me and they are constantly making racist jokes and using the "N-word". When a black employee comes in they help him and do what is necessary, but as soon as they leave they constantly talk bad about blacks. The manager said "once a N***er always a N***er". I was totally floored, but I realize that racism does exist in Raleigh and it's actually out in the open. Anyway, I know if I go to HR, there will be a backlash on me, since these guys will know that I am the one that ratted them out. Is they any other way I can do this? I guess I'm not just a good old boy and I can't bring myself to laugh at this crap.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation01 View Post
I work for a Govt. Agency and I'd say it's about half black half white. The little office I work in houses 3 other people besides me and they are constantly making racist jokes and using the "N-word". When a black employee comes in they help him and do what is necessary, but as soon as they leave they constantly talk bad about blacks. The manager said "once a N***er always a N***er". I was totally floored, but I realize that racism does exist in Raleigh and it's actually out in the open. Anyway, I know if I go to HR, there will be a backlash on me, since these guys will know that I am the one that ratted them out. Is they any other way I can do this? I guess I'm not just a good old boy and I can't bring myself to laugh at this crap.

Any suggestions?
You need to go to HR. The catalyst to change comes from the individual and you are that person. It sounds "corny" but its the truth. If this is something pervasive it needs to be stopped now. Nothing good can come from this behavior and honestly if you do not go to HR and someone else does then you most likely will be lumped in with them and canned yourself. It sounds to me like it's not a great environment to be in anyways so you should take that stand and say something. It's better to be honest with yourself than to sit there uncomfortably and "take it". Besides, if you say something and they fire you then you have an excellent lawsuit (the previous reason is the better of the two though).

Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
If possible, record it. That way you're not just ratting them out, you have some hard evidence. Before having HR come down on these folks, request to be moved to another office space. With your agency being racially balanced, if it does get out that you ratted these racists out, I think you'll have most folks in the agency on your side. It is truly sad that this sort of crap goes on anywhere.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation01 View Post

Any suggestions?
racist
someone who races.
a.j. foit
owner of a GTX
corvette owner with a trailer
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
That's really sad . I'd be upset and suprised too. Is there any way you can report it anonymously?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
racist
someone who races.
a.j. foit
owner of a GTX
corvette owner with a trailer
stephen s
san diego ca
WTF????!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,552 times
You know, it's becoming really important to me that the few people who post on this board and post negative things (including myself) are giving newcomers/lurkers the impression that these incidents are commonplace and indicative of Triangle life as a whole. I want to express that sadly, racism does exist everywhere but the triangle is NOT a southern, backwards, redneck place. AT ALL. I worked at a place that was extremely diverse and friendly towards all races, sexual orientation, etc. Not that people shouldn't post their concerns but the posters here are a VERY small percentage of the actual population of the Triangle and the experiences posted on here do NOT represent life here as a whole by any means.
I just felt the need to make that point. sorry. carry on.

Last edited by raccemup; 10-10-2007 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

310 posts, read 1,715,339 times
Get them on a tape recorder, then take it to the director of HR.
Those people will be fired.

I work in a gov. agency as well, this things are taken very seriously. Those people don't deserve to have a job. They are employed by the public, and if they don't have respect for others, they don't deserve a job.

Don't worry if they know that it was you who reported them. They cannot do anything about it, and they should be afraid of you. You are doing the right thing.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
How about if you talk to the offenders and tell them that their racist remarks bother you and that you would like them to stop the remarks when you are around. I believe that is the correct approach (not immediately going over their head to HR). I don't know that it would work or that I would have the nerve to do it myself in this case but I do try to use this assertive method, in general, as much as I can.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 PM

261 posts, read 621,657 times
Report it. If you work for a gov't agency, you're not going anywhere. It would take an act of Congress to get you fired for turning them in.

On the other hand, these folks getting fired for this would not be difficult. It's blatant racism and there's no place for hate in the workplace or anyplace. Plus, you have repeated examples of this behavior.

You are a good man. Continue to be that and stand up for what's right. You can do it. It's men like you that made all the difference in the Civil Rights movement back in the day and even today. You're everything that is good about our country.

Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment