Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times

Advertisements

I was recently let go from work with no disclosed reason. An incident unfolded at work the day before between 2 other employees and the next thing I know, I get termed. I worked Loss Prevention for a grocery store and had a good relationship with staff there. They often came to me and my partner about things, especially managers getting on their case for no reason.

I'm thinking the managers had something to hide or something because it just seems to odd that I get fired for something that didn't involve me. I never spoke of any confidential information to Employees. Had 100% attendance. I thought I worked well with management and got along well with staff. Knew full and well my responsibilities and duties and executed them to the best of my ability.

Back in March or April, one of the managers blatantly lied about one of my shoplift stops. I addressed this issue with the managers after I found out and moved on. This manager has done things like this a lot and always trying to find ways to get people in trouble she personally doesn't like. She has made profanities about staff members that went completely ignored by upper management.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure she has a lot to do with me being fired, especially since her and her manager buddy were the only two managers there the day everything unfolded between the other 2 staff members.

I'm thinking of fighting this under 'whistle blowing' and or 'harassment' since since no complaints about me have ever been addressed with me. I've never had a single warning of any kind. And since no issues have ever been addressed with me, I obviously had no way of knowing about them or addressing them.

Has anyone here been through something like this and fought it?
Any info/tips would be much appreciated!

I absolutely hate this 'At will' BS that a employer can fire a person without reason or warning....
A verbal and written should at least be required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
what is a shoplift stop? what was your relationship to the 2 employees who got into a fight? more specific info needed

Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Definitely need more information, however it doesn't sound like it solely because it was so long ago, why would they fire you now?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
what is a shoplift stop? what was your relationship to the 2 employees who got into a fight? more specific info needed
Catching shoplifters was a major part of my job as a Loss Prevention Agent.
When we go out and catch a shoplifter we refer to it as a 'Stop'.

I had no relationship with the 2 employees. One worked in Dairy and one was a Courtesy Clerk.
Just know them from working with them.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Definitely need more information, however it doesn't sound like it solely because it was so long ago, why would they fire you now?
I think that manager has been running making complaints about me that I don't know about.

I was fired in Oct 22nd. On Oct 21st, a female employee(Courtesy Clerk) reported to management that a male worker(Dairy) had pressured her into having sex with him in his truck at work.
And she is underage.

This male worker has been messing around with the young female workers for a long time and management has well known about it.
Back in May, this male worker was also bullying another male worker in Dairy and got suspended for it.
I told management back then we should get rid of him and that he was bad news with red flags abound.

The day the girl reported the incident to management, the "buddy manager" called down to our office and asked if she could come speak to us. She then changed her mind and ask my partner to go up and talk to her because they didn't want me to know as they didn't 'trust' me.
They've never had a reason not to trust me. I think because I had a good relationship with staff, they though I might tell confidential details about the case to other staff members. Which would never have happened. Rumors were already flying since 2 other courtesy clerks knew what was going on anyway.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM

The only other issues I know of is back in March, I was asked to take my eyebrow ring out which I did.
The dress code for our department was a lot less relaxed since we had to 'blend' in with the shoppers. My LP manager never had a problem with it but apparently the store manager did.

A couple weeks before I was fired, the store manager complained about us parking behind the store and entering through the back. So we parked in front with everyone else like he wanted. We've always parked at the back.

The manager that lied about me, is the #2 store manager. I know of a time in August I think where she complained about us to upper management about listening to music in our office. But another store employee told me about that. Never heard a thing back about it from management.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:25 PM

Just the other night I found out from my partner who was told by our new LP manager that,

She had to investigate me because a manager told her I was seen punching in and then going home and returning 2 hours later. That of course never turned out to be true because I've NEVER done that and would never do it.

My partner also told me that she had told him that a manager had complained about me and my girlfriend(also an employee) leaving through the back(where I parked).
We drove in together that day because my car was broken at the time.

I would bet money that both of those complaints came from the #2 manager that previously lied about me.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Sounds like a toxic environment. Have you filed for unemployment yet? I would definitely check on what they would say as a reference. Good luck and hope you find something else soon.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
I was recently let go from work with no disclosed reason. An incident unfolded at work the day before between 2 other employees and the next thing I know, I get termed. I worked Loss Prevention for a grocery store and had a good relationship with staff there. They often came to me and my partner about things, especially managers getting on their case for no reason.

I'm thinking the managers had something to hide or something because it just seems to odd that I get fired for something that didn't involve me. I never spoke of any confidential information to Employees. Had 100% attendance. I thought I worked well with management and got along well with staff. Knew full and well my responsibilities and duties and executed them to the best of my ability.

Back in March or April, one of the managers blatantly lied about one of my shoplift stops. I addressed this issue with the managers after I found out and moved on. This manager has done things like this a lot and always trying to find ways to get people in trouble she personally doesn't like. She has made profanities about staff members that went completely ignored by upper management.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure she has a lot to do with me being fired, especially since her and her manager buddy were the only two managers there the day everything unfolded between the other 2 staff members.

I'm thinking of fighting this under 'whistle blowing' and or 'harassment' since since no complaints about me have ever been addressed with me. I've never had a single warning of any kind. And since no issues have ever been addressed with me, I obviously had no way of knowing about them or addressing them.

Has anyone here been through something like this and fought it?
Any info/tips would be much appreciated!

I absolutely hate this 'At will' BS that a employer can fire a person without reason or warning....
A verbal and written should at least be required.
There is nothing you can do unless you can prove tht your termination was "wrongful" and to do that, it needs to fall as a termination because of a minority or protected class status. You will not prove this with a "no reason" and no write up termination.

Also, before you trash the "at will" please remember that it is the reason you can quit as well. If "At will" did not exist, you could quit your job, your boss or company could refuse to allow you to quit, and you would have to stay...

Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM

150 posts, read 305,817 times
I'm assuming this is probably a 9-10/hr job? If this is the case you're probably better off forgetting the whole thing and just moving on.

Lots of people don't realize that there are a lot of sketchy people in management. Its not the job it used to be. In a lot of cases it's not much more money and its a ton more stress and responsibility. I've seen lots of managers do stupid things because they were pressured into making some a decision about something by the higher ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment