Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times

Advertisements

Passed all my checks, I got the job. I got both, actually, but I had to choose and I chose the government one.

I start next week.

The good news is, I don't have to be phony and fake ass smile the whole day and I will NOT be surrounded by idiotic sorority girls who talk about their sex lives in front of guests, laughing like loons thinking it's cool to be sluts because, "like, OMG, I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey and I'm letting my inner ***** out!"

In this job, it is frowned upon to be disgustingly fake and over friendly. It will be nice to be among NORMAL people once again.

At the end of six weeks, I am tested again. If I pass all of that, I'm on probation for six months. If I pass all of that, I think I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,567 times
Sounds like you worked retail before this job.

Hook a brother up and spill the details on how you got a job in government, particularly one that doesn't involve being a phony, fake-ass smiler all day. I'm looking for an escape from that mess, too!!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Congratulations and good luck. Sounds like you took job #1, correct?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
Sounds like you worked retail before this job.

Hook a brother up and spill the details on how you got a job in government, particularly one that doesn't involve being a phony, fake-ass smiler all day. I'm looking for an escape from that mess, too!!
Hospitality and Tourism. It's one thing to have a smile on your face and welcome guests, (that's easy for me, because I truly did wish that they had a good time), it's another to be over the top, braying with laughter at every single thing the guest says.

Guest: May I borrow your pen?

Idiot Co-worker: AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! OMG, YOU'RE SO FUNNY!!!

Gov jobs, go to USAJobs.com or just look at .gov websites in your county or state. Look for openings. They will have different color codes, some are open to everyone, some are only open to those already employed with the gov, etc. And, I'm sure my veterans status helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Congratulations and good luck. Sounds like you took job #1, correct?
Yep. Now I have to spend this weekend working on a letter turning down job #2. Which is not going to be easy. I respect what they do, they have integrity, (I know! It sounds crazy but they do), and it would be an exceptional place to work. But...right now, I gotta think about me.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Congratulations- I have a feeling I won't get a job until January since most government agencies tend to slow to a halt during this time. I have an interview after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
Congratulations, and wish you the very best of luck.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,805 times
Congrats! :thumbup:

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Passed all my checks, I got the job. I got both, actually, but I had to choose and I chose the government one.

I start next week.

The good news is, I don't have to be phony and fake ass smile the whole day and I will NOT be surrounded by idiotic sorority girls who talk about their sex lives in front of guests, laughing like loons thinking it's cool to be sluts because, "like, OMG, I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey and I'm letting my inner ***** out!"

In this job, it is frowned upon to be disgustingly fake and over friendly. It will be nice to be among NORMAL people once again.

At the end of six weeks, I am tested again. If I pass all of that, I'm on probation for six months. If I pass all of that, I think I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Congratulations!!!!

How did you do it so FAST for a government job? Where I am the vast majority of the government jobs require taking a civil service test first. So you have to wait around for the test you want to take to be announced, take the test, wait around for them to assign you a number on the list, wait around for them to get around to your number to interview you, etc., etc. To get a civil service job by me (that is, one not "appointed" by a politician) usually takes a minimum of 6-9 months after taking the civil service test.

I am so glad to hear you are on your way though!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I have Federal reinstatement eligibility, and couldn't get back in. In three years, I had three interviews, so I finally gave up.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Congratulations- I have a feeling I won't get a job until January since most government agencies tend to slow to a halt during this time. I have an interview after Thanksgiving.
Yes, and I expect there will be more in the future. So, I really need to be at the top cause I don't want to go through all of this and then be told at the end of six weeks, "Oh...wait...there's a freeze." I would assume, (I know), that if I was offered the job, I have the job, any freezes would count for others not there yet.

Good luck to you, I hope you can get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Congratulations, and wish you the very best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Congrats! :thumbup:
Thank you, both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Congratulations!!!!

How did you do it so FAST for a government job? Where I am the vast majority of the government jobs require taking a civil service test first. So you have to wait around for the test you want to take to be announced, take the test, wait around for them to assign you a number on the list, wait around for them to get around to your number to interview you, etc., etc. To get a civil service job by me (that is, one not "appointed" by a politician) usually takes a minimum of 6-9 months after taking the civil service test.

I am so glad to hear you are on your way though!
My Federal job, the intermittent one, that went fast, as well. From the time I applied to the time I "started" was about a month. This one...from the time I applied to actually starting has been a little over a month. I guess that's fast, not fast enough.

What's funny is I did apply for another Federal job last March. This is one that scrutinizes every last breath you have ever taken, every morsel you have ever eaten, every flower you have gazed upon, every dog you have petted, every person you have ever laid eyes on, if even just a glance as you were turning your head...I took their test in March. Passed. I then passed the next bunch of crap I had to pass. Then? NOTHING.

Eight fricken months later, they decide to call me and ask me if I am still interested, let's interview. Except, I got this job. Yes, they contacted me TODAY to ask me to come in for an interview. I didn't pick up the phone when I recognized the number and they called three times in a row and next thing I knew, my email box was filling up with their requests. Where the hell were you people 8 fricken months ago when I really could have used that job!?

Some are fast, some are ridiculously slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have Federal reinstatement eligibility, and couldn't get back in. In three years, I had three interviews, so I finally gave up.
Never give up. Keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment