Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times

Advertisements

Alrite I am hoping for a little advice.

Lets say you are a history major and you are offered an unpaid internship at a musuem, unpaid but you are geniunally interested in it and it relates somewhat to your degree. Now lets say at the same time Target got back to you and they want to hire you-paid but obivously not really related to history.

What should one do? Does one take the interesting internship even though it is unpaid or does one the paid yet thisisnotreallymy major job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 AM

408 posts, read 607,819 times
I was a history major too

I reluctantly took an unpaid internship during my senior year in a tiny online retailer as a web marketer/social media/media guy. Wore several hats due to the company being so small, which resulted in my having a fairly influential position there by the end of it. Although the experience was only mildly stimulating - I really didn't learn much - it was a huge boost for my confidence levels. Also, great for my resume which until then was lacking in the marketing department.

1 year later, I'm in a similar position working for a slightly larger start-up, very happy with my role and making 800$ per week on a highly flexible schedule, which allows me to do contract work on the side. I hate to say it, but I don't think I would have gotten this job without said internship ! Not directly related to my major but definitely a field I want to be in...

I'm assuming the pay at Target is pretty crappy. If you badly needed the funds and was working as, say, a waiter making 200$ per night, it would be a different story.

If I were you, it would be internship hands-down.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,634 times
If I were in your position and could afford to take the internship, I would take it in a heartbeat. Even if you only find the work mildly stimulating, you might make networking connections there that will help land you a job that you will like.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 AM

71 posts, read 255,326 times
How long is the internship and can you get financial support elsewhere for that time?

The internship is going to give you the experience you need to get into a museum. Target won't give you that.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
ty all for advice. Atm money is not a big concern, while nice and i certainly want to make money i am not at the point where i am going pay check to pay check-i wager that makes the case for the internship stronger. Length of internship proably a semster so 3 months about. Il proably lean more towards internship now

Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Do you have enough money to take an unpaid internship?? Otherwise, work you hours such that you can intern part time for free.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I'd do the internship.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,781 times
I would do the internship if you can and second what JanND stated. Good luck

Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,651 times
Target loves getting people with degrees not tied to business so that they can flout it in news stories and they think it helps them "think outside the box".

If you were offered a salary position, I'm thinking it's in the $40-55 thousands, if it's an hourly job, run away. You will have to do at least 18 months in that hourly position-no matter what they tell you-and by then, working for at most $14 an hour, you will have wasted that time pursuing something you truly don't want, based on your area of study, and being pushed around by people your age (generally) that like to hold their degree over yours and think they are better than you because their degree got them a salary job and yours (obviously-duh) only netted you an hourly position.

Retail is no place for someone who put in the effort and money into a degree.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
DO THE INTERNSHIP. Internships get people good jobs, working at Target isn't going to further your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment