Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 AM

15 posts, read 62,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
As an assistant for over 12 years, we will never be dying breed. I agree that we are better skilled. We are the backbone of the industry and the go to person who handles and answers all questions. Why in the heck are they paying over $60k for an admin? We are the filter, which catches all the drips in the day. Let the admin take off a week and the office she supports go completely haywire. We are educated beings that made this a career choice.

Today, the admin role has changed and they are more like office managers or analysts. I have great knowledge of the industry, key players and lingo. "Dead End", is what people make it. There are plenty of admin roles with job growth for those who desire it. I have been offered plenty of opportunities to advance, but all the jobs require working at least 12 hours of days. I simply call that not living. Yes, at times I work those hours. But it's only for special projects.
As an Admin for almost 6 years, I've assisted a CFO and currently I assist an executive program director. What you say arussell is so on point! I currently have to take all my unused vacation time which I didn't use during the year and my director is panicked at me being gone for a week! I dont see Admin's becoming a dying breed. Who else will figure out how to change the toner in the copier or find the perfect caterer to impress that certain client??
~Autumn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Administrative Assistant/Executive Assistant/Secretary/Receptionist....many companies now use any of the above titles for the same position: clerical worker. Too many companies want to pay entry level wages and expect the individual to go high level work.

Someone has to be the 'dumping ground' for all the work that the muckity-mucks don't want to be bothered with. And someone has to answer the phone; take messages; schedule appointments/meetings; make travel arrangements - - and constantly change those travel arrangements; coordinate the catering for meetings; be the scape goat for when the boss screws up; be the one who covers for the boss; faxes; photocopies; prepare binders; presentation materials; files; open/sort/distribute mail; send out the mail; run errands, etc., etc., etc.

Pay range? Depends on the company and the locale. Can vary from $10/hr to $30/hr.

I cannot see the majority of companies deleting those positions...someone has to do the work!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Administrative Assistant/Executive Assistant/Secretary/Receptionist....many companies now use any of the above titles for the same position: clerical worker. Too many companies want to pay entry level wages and expect the individual to go high level work.

Someone has to be the 'dumping ground' for all the work that the muckity-mucks don't want to be bothered with. And someone has to answer the phone; take messages; schedule appointments/meetings; make travel arrangements - - and constantly change those travel arrangements; coordinate the catering for meetings; be the scape goat for when the boss screws up; be the one who covers for the boss; faxes; photocopies; prepare binders; presentation materials; files; open/sort/distribute mail; send out the mail; run errands, etc., etc., etc.

Pay range? Depends on the company and the locale. Can vary from $10/hr to $30/hr.

I cannot see the majority of companies deleting those positions...someone has to do the work!
Definitely the Administrative Assistant will NOT die nor go away. Unfortunately Katie even though companies are using those titles freely, IMO there is a big difference between a Clerical person/Secretary and an Administrative/Executive Assistant.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I agree the admin. asst. is on a different level than a receptionist! I delegated alot of the lesser duties to MY assistant and the receptionist. The work can get overwhelming and never lets up!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Definitely the Administrative Assistant will NOT die nor go away. Unfortunately Katie even though companies are using those titles freely, IMO there is a big difference between a Clerical person/Secretary and an Administrative/Executive Assistant.
Oh, I agree. I did not say they titles are the same jobs...I said that many companies use one or the other for doing the same clerical tasks. Most want to pay entry level wages but expect the employee to do the work of someone who should be paid very high wages. Too many companies view any of the clerical staff as unnecessary evils and very easy to replace.

If you look at the job duties listed on the internet for Administrative Assistants/Secretary, etc., they all are pretty much the same, but, they want to pay $10/hr. They think if they call it "Administrative Assistant" vs "Clerk", it will make the employee think more highly of themself.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
This was sent to me today and I found the description funny, but real. Enjoy!

Administrative Assistant Job Description:

I can take 2 phone calls, set up an excel spreadsheet, book a conference call and send several emails - all at the same time. Simultaneously, I can review 2 inboxes, update 2 calendars, book dinner for 7 with parking, location map and 2 vegetarian options, knock up a PowerPoint presentation, courier a package and book three hotel rooms and three flights. I speak all languages and have visited all the countries in the world: I therefore know every beach and every hotel. I know all local customs and visa and vaccination requirements for all nationalities and countries. I am personally responsible for the food on the flight, for traffic jams, broken hire cars, overbooked planes, late taxis, the weather, possible war and unrest, as well as the economic situation and adverse currency exchange rate fluctuations. I possess magical powers which enable me to get a room in a fully booked hotel and seats on fully booked planes and trains. I can also arrange for planes to start and land at your desired destinations at your preferred times. I know that - even though you asked me to book you a flight for Friday - you really wanted to travel on Saturday. Also, if you arrange a meeting with somebody over the phone and don't tell me, I telepathically know and will book and prepare a meeting room and arrange drinks.

I smile, am sympathetic, and am happy to replace his psychiatrist /punch bag as needed - equally happy in turn to be ignored, insulted and blamed in the interests of alleviating the frustrations of senior management in the workplace - always calmly listening and trying to do better next time. I can act, sing, dance and repair the printer. I replace the information desk, directory enquiries and the post office. I am happy to get in early for meetings that (may) take place and work late for no extra money. I hate having time off - as I obviously have no family or other interests outside the joy and desire to selflessly serve in the workplace

Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
This was sent to me today and I found the description funny, but real. Enjoy!

Administrative Assistant Job Description:

I can take 2 phone calls, set up an excel spreadsheet, book a conference call and send several emails - all at the same time. Simultaneously, I can review 2 inboxes, update 2 calendars, book dinner for 7 with parking, location map and 2 vegetarian options, knock up a PowerPoint presentation, courier a package and book three hotel rooms and three flights. I speak all languages and have visited all the countries in the world: I therefore know every beach and every hotel. I know all local customs and visa and vaccination requirements for all nationalities and countries. I am personally responsible for the food on the flight, for traffic jams, broken hire cars, overbooked planes, late taxis, the weather, possible war and unrest, as well as the economic situation and adverse currency exchange rate fluctuations. I possess magical powers which enable me to get a room in a fully booked hotel and seats on fully booked planes and trains. I can also arrange for planes to start and land at your desired destinations at your preferred times. I know that - even though you asked me to book you a flight for Friday - you really wanted to travel on Saturday. Also, if you arrange a meeting with somebody over the phone and don't tell me, I telepathically know and will book and prepare a meeting room and arrange drinks.

I smile, am sympathetic, and am happy to replace his psychiatrist /punch bag as needed - equally happy in turn to be ignored, insulted and blamed in the interests of alleviating the frustrations of senior management in the workplace - always calmly listening and trying to do better next time. I can act, sing, dance and repair the printer. I replace the information desk, directory enquiries and the post office. I am happy to get in early for meetings that (may) take place and work late for no extra money. I hate having time off - as I obviously have no family or other interests outside the joy and desire to selflessly serve in the workplace

That is hilarious! I am going to print it for the admin staff in my office. They'll love it!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM

96 posts, read 405,567 times
Default re:

I'd recommend the OP to read "The World is Flat".

Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I work for one of those companies who thinks they did the right thing eliminating those admin type positions. Not smart. We are still laughing at their penny wise pound foolish ways. I believe this costs them a lot of money. How much time do we waste every day fiddling around with the copier, printers, and fax machines? How many sales or opportunities have we missed because no one answers our phones? How much time do we spend planning a birthday party or office social event?

We always talk about that Dilbert cartoon where 6 engineers are trying to fix a copy machine while the boss drones on about how much money the company saved by getting rid of the admins.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM

41 posts, read 210,762 times
Angry Admins Unite!

As much as I know how important the administrative assistant (read: secretary) is, for me it has always been an underpaying dead-end job. I did not go to college and get a Bachelor's degree to be someone's gopher, servant, or slave girl. In all my years of being an admin., I have almost NEVER seen any males doing this kind of menial work, and if there are males, they are usually just passing through. They wouldn't put up with it! (I don't think they could handle it, either!) Nine times out of ten, it is still men at the top, women at the bottom. Women are stuck in these jobs because they put up with being the underpaid caretakers of the world. It's time we had a revolution in the workplace and started putting more value on educated and talented women who are worth more than fixing coffee, faxing memos, and screening calls!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment