Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,174 times

Advertisements

How many businesses represented here celebrate Boss's Day? Do you give your boss a card, take her/him to lunch, or buy your boss a present? What do you do, how much do you spend, and how do you celebrate?

I had one boss who told us what to buy him... even gave us a picture. He wanted a certain briefcase one year that was almost $400. There were only 10 employees in the office so we had to each shell out $40 each. That was tough on my $18k salary. After we gave him the briefcase he said, "Now, where are you guys taking me to lunch?" I nearly fell over.

My next boss refused to let anyone participate in Boss's Day. She would not allow us to even give her a card. She said that we were all a team and that she depended on her faithful employees to help her keep the business running. She said that no one was more important than anyone else because everyone had a purpose. She just happened to be the boss and wanted no special recognition.

I had another boss that did not expect anything but was always very grateful for whatever we gave her. She acted just as excited over a card and being taken to lunch as she did a beautiful bracelet or a gift card to the spa. She was classy in every way making each giver feel special about their gift. What a lady!

What is your experience as a boss or as an employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,364 times
As the leader (I've always used that term instead of boss), I have usually been too busy to notice that Boss's Day is coming, so haven't told employees not to do anything...which would be my preference. Then when I've realized - usually like the day before or morning of - I hope they haven't done anything...don't want them to spend their money on me!! When they have done something, I've been super appreciative, but honestly, if it were put up for a vote, I would definitely say NO BOSS'S DAY. It seems like a silly waste of time...I wonder who invented it, anyway??!!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
As the leader (I've always used that term instead of boss), I have usually been too busy to notice that Boss's Day is coming, so haven't told employees not to do anything...which would be my preference. Then when I've realized - usually like the day before or morning of - I hope they haven't done anything...don't want them to spend their money on me!! When they have done something, I've been super appreciative, but honestly, if it were put up for a vote, I would definitely say NO BOSS'S DAY. It seems like a silly waste of time...I wonder who invented it, anyway??!!
I vote with you.....lol if someone hadn't opened this thread i wouldnt have noticed grrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-13-2007, 04:30 PM

My guess as to the inventors of it is: greeting card companies.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
My guess as to the inventors of it is: greeting card companies.
I agree... it does sound like a greeting card company started the trend to sell cards during the slow season of September and October when there are no real reasons to buy cards (February - Valentine's, May - Mother's Day, June - Father's Day, etc.).

However I do think it is nice to let your boss know that he/she is appreciated for their hard work and dedication. A great boss makes all the difference in the work environment atmosphere, and it sounds like you are one of the great ones as you expect no "kissing up" from your staff.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks, you're right...I have always been uncomfortable with employees who are obviously 'kissing-up' - give me just a sincere, good effort any day!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
We do a pot luck lunch. Same for the last job.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,510 times
I work for a small company, six employees total - including the owner. Friday a coworker and I were talking with the owner and I said, "Oh, Tuesday is Boss's day." My coworker said, "You mean Tuesday is a$$hole day, don't you?"

Boss got a huge laugh out of that one. He's a great man to work for.

In honor of the day, he's buying us all a pizza lunch.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
We do a pot luck lunch. Same for the last job.
Now that's a good idea. Everyone gets to join in the fun.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
I would never buy my boss any type of gift (except wedding). He makes too much money and I'm an employee. I don't believe that any employees should be honoring the person who they report to. Any way, what could I buy him that he could not purchase himself? I don't even do the birthday celebration--refuse to take part in any of this office politics of kissing butt. This is definitely a greeting card slogan to gain more capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment