Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,152 times

Advertisements

Has anyone made an effort to learn web design to make themselves more marketable and if yes, has it worked? Also, what resource did you use to learn web design--I see there are many online "courses" available as well as more traditional classroom settings.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
I self taught myself some web design to make personal websites. I bought probably 6 web design related books, then I mostly torrented video training and web design book pdfs. If you're smart enough you can totally self teach yourself web design.

Web design skills enhance my technical writing skillset, but I'm not an expert web designer.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM

306 posts, read 758,218 times
I have a niece who taught herself Web Design and she now makes very good money and very happy with her job...her college degree was sociology. If you have the technical know-how in your genetics...do it!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times
I agree with Jesse that web design is probably best self taught. A couple of good books along with deisgning a couple of web sites should do the trick. A lot of clicking "view source" would be a starting point. If you don't like looking at hundreds of lines of code, it is probably not for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I taught myself by using Lynda.com BUT this was just to do updates and increased functionalities to an existing site. I also learned search engine optimization and google analytics by myself. You can get the google analytics test online $50 I think and you are certified.

IF you want to make any DECENT money you will learn completely about front end and the best money is in web development. Server side and php development are paying well now I think. This could change quickly once more people get the talent.

Look at the job listings on the Internet job boards to see exactly what current technologies are in demand. Also, many look for those with the ability to hack html and "manually code".

NOTE: current software changes on a dime. What you learn one year, could be completely useless in a couple more years. So keeping up to date is key.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
There's a difference between learning how to design and learning how to write code. Lots of web designers do both, but don't think that figuring out HTML will make you a "designer".

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM

97 posts, read 265,687 times
Web design is a big animal, if you want to get good...

You'll have to start with HTML, CSS, XHMTL and then throw some JavaScript in the mix.. ..
Database knowledge will have to come in sometime as well.. graphic design also... and then who knows what is next..

( I previously was enrolled for an associates degree program for web design and said to hell with this)

Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
By far the easiest way to learn, for me at least is to use software like dreamweaver, and put it into split mode. this way you can design a website using a GUI and then also see how what you are doing will effect the HTML code. after you have a website built, view it and then look at all the changes that need to be made or updates for that matter, and then do those changes and updates in the HTML code and not the GUI. This way you will get a deeper understanding of the code.

Once you get HTML down pretty well, you can move on to CSS which is extremely useful. Then after that, go into the more "advanced" stuff like javascript and XHTML, etc...

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,190 times
I took a class using Dreamweaver and found it a very challenging program to work with. I suggest learning using Wordpress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment