Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times

Advertisements

Like the title says, do you feel uncomfortable taking personal/vacation days?

Is your work delegated to other team members when you go on vacation? Or are you concerned with the amount of work you'll have to follow-up on after returning because you have no one to help with your work-load during your absence? Does it not concern you at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
No way. I live for my vacations.

However, my husband works for a company where there are three managers. If one goes on vacation, the other two get stuck working crazy hours to cover for the vacationing one. As much as I know his coworkers should get and deserve a vacation, I resent them for taking one--especially when they decide to take 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Part of that is because I know one of the managers is incompetent and the company should replace her. The other issue is that one of the managers could hire another manager so this wouldn't be an issue, but he gets a bonus for not doing so.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
NO.

NO ONE SHOULD FEEL UNCOMFORTBALE ABOUT TAKING VACATION.

if you do, then there is something wrong with you.

when I go on vacation, my job stops. no one does it but me.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
I am asking because I get the guilt trip from co-workers when I delegate my workload to them.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Hell no.

I earned that time and will enjoy my vacation days guilt-free. I have no problem picking up the slack when someone else is off, so I expect the same from my coworkers. If they have a problem with that, then too bad.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I am asking because I get the guilt trip from co-workers when I delegate my workload to them.
I've never had a coworker go on vacay and delegate their work to me. I've never worked with coworkers who had the authority to do that. I work in a competitive environment and everyone tries to tell everyone else what to do. I listen to whomever has the authority to fire me--in my case, that would never be a coworker.

When my supervisor assigns work, I just do it. It doesn't require me to change my work hours or work extra hours or give up weekends.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
I easily make up any time off I take in the week leading up to it and the week after. Kinda sucks that I'll work two 70 hour weeks just to take a week off, and I'll somehow end up LOSING that PTO anyway. I don't have a backup, and it's unacceptable for my projects to fall behind . . .

If I have to take a single day off, generally I'll work 12 hour days that week. 48 hours on the time card and I'll still lose my PTO. I don't get OT either. Crap now I'm all depressed.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

Does there own work just pile up while they are gone or does someone else do it?

We share/split work when someone is on vacation; things simply cannot go undone.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I feel uncomfortable because my job is 69 less stressful than vacation. "Going on vacation" is extremely stressful and expensive.

Also, I don't take too much vacation until I hit the use or lose max. I want to carry as much vacation time as possible so if I get laid off, I get that vacation time as cash flow.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
It depends on how poorly the company is managed.

I work for a sales organization (stay away if you know what's good for you). Order processing and client communication is paramount to our success. At one point, we had a 1-on-1 dedicated back up system. Essentially, you would be assigned to back up a person's workload while they were out. In my opinion, it was absolutely ridiculous because our workload would essentially double for the amount of time your backup person was OOO. If you have any experience in a fast-paced, volume-intensive sales org, you should understand what I mean. This system was extremely inefficient and placed a lot of stress on those doing the backing up. On top of that, who wants to come back to a ****-ton of work to catch up on?

Finally, our management is starting to wise up a bit and has implemented, at least for the time being, a dedicated back up team. There are three people who now split the workloads of those people who are out on PTO. That's all they do; they don't have any other responsibilities but to back folks up. If they are a bit bogged down, we do resort to a 1-on-1 back up, but that has become much more rare.

I do miss the days with my previous employer where taking time off was really not that big of a deal. The workloads were lighter, so it wasn't a burden for your back ups, not was it necessarily chaotic upon your return.

Last edited by Tekkie; 12-04-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment