Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,598 times

Advertisements

So, I'm not a big fan of either. I have a FB account, but have deactivated the account.. I do not have a Linkedin account at all.

Now I know that in the workplace people will most likely search for you on both of these out of curiousity.

Do you think that not having or participating in social media gives people in the workplace a bad image of you. Do you think that coworkers see it as being anti-social or odd? Seeing how everybody seems to enjoy both of them, maybe it makes for a bad image of you as a person.

If I am not a part of either of these do you think it plays a role in getting passed over for advancement/promotions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,937 times
I think Linkedin is fine for work, but FB is not as the 2 have very different purposes. I would not want my co-workers knowing that much about my personal life. Whether or not it affects you at work, depends on your work culture which could be very formal and stiff to somewhat casual. You should kind of know the answer to that on your own if you have been at your work a while.

I personally would not be close friends with my co-workers using social media. I just don't think the 2 mix well together in terms of giving out an image of being professional. FB might be good for people who have small businesses and try to sell things, but for an average person working somewhere, I think one should keep work life separate from your personal life as much as possible.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
I think Linkedin is fine for work, but FB is not as the 2 have very different purposes. I would not want my co-workers knowing that much about my personal life. Whether or not it affects you at work, depends on your work culture which could be very formal and stiff to somewhat casual. You should kind of know the answer to that on your own if you have been at your work a while.

I personally would not be close friends with my co-workers using social media. I just don't think the 2 mix well together in terms of giving out an image of being professional. FB might be good for people who have small businesses and try to sell things, but for an average person working somewhere, I think one should keep work life separate from your personal life as much as possible.
Yep, this is pretty much how I feel about it all. I just feel like you are somewhat judged by it all. I just get hints from people that believe that you do not have a life if you are not on one of these social media deals. So, in return they base an opinon on you because you aren't posting about your life everday.

In general, I feel like FB is a fabricated lie in some sense. People only display great aspects of their lives when in reality I believe that overall it all is further from the truth than people are willing to accept. Just way too much BS on all that social media for me.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
So, I'm not a big fan of either. I have a FB account, but have deactivated the account.. I do not have a Linkedin account at all.

Now I know that in the workplace people will most likely search for you on both of these out of curiousity.

Do you think that not having or participating in social media gives people in the workplace a bad image of you. Do you think that coworkers see it as being anti-social or odd? Seeing how everybody seems to enjoy both of them, maybe it makes for a bad image of you as a person.

If I am not a part of either of these do you think it plays a role in getting passed over for advancement/promotions?
I'd set up a LinkedIn account. It's a public resume basically, and can help with networking for sure. a good LinkedIn page is great to have if you're applying for jobs, as it gives the employer a positive image that you can keep out there easily.

FB is garbage, no good (employment wise) can ever come of it. Anyone who would judge you as anti-social for not being on FB is not worth working for or with.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post

I would think in 99.9% of cases it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
I dont think friending people from work on FB is a good idea even though I have done it. I work from home and my company has a network type thing for us employees to communicate however its always down or full of glitches. After missing out on important things at work regarding schedule changes, job openings and so forth, pretty much everyone elected to friend each other on FB. I wasn't keen on the idea but if I didnt do it, meant I missed out on info.

My company has people scattered all over the country and we are lumped into teams by geography. The problem is I was lumped into a group that lives on the east coast even though I live in the midwest. Where I live the COL is cheap and where my teammates live, the COL of living is very high. What I pay in a mortgage per month is what they pay for studio apartments. I really didnt think much of any of this until a few weeks ago a job opening was posted in a different dept. It is more money but also a lot of hassle. I wasn't really interested. I was asked by several co-workers if I was going to apply. I said I wasnt sure and one woman on my team got snarky and said, "well its not like you really need the extra money." Its not the first time she has made some sort of reference like this. I think its because she has seen photos of my house and so forth on my page. I have restricted a lot of the content my co-workers see now.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 AM

279 posts, read 854,649 times
if you ever DO facebook your co-workers, please look into facebook restricted/profile policy and make sure them see nothing. I set up my faceook account where my co-works can just view basic info and not wall posts or anything like that

Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
I got the job I have now through an interview request via LinkedIn. There was another thread on this in the last few days, but I personally get a half dozen or so requests to interview every year out of the blue through LinkedIn, so I would think you do hurt yourself by not having it.

Facebook is somewhat the same way. You have to monitor what is posted and untag/delete comments that you don't like.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
FB and LinkedIn are two different animals IMO. FB is for friends only. I never friend anyone I work with, it can create crazy drama.

I think in this day and age it is important to have a LinkedIn account. As another poster said it is a public resume. Many companies recruit from LinkedIn, and will pass you over if you are not active on LinkedIn.

Recruiters Say: Avoid LinkedIn At Your Peril - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment