Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,004,676 times

Advertisements

Is it like this at your work place?

Today I encountered a full time co worker who begged me to come in early as our work was backed up from the previous day. She was angry at me today because I "only came in 2 hours and 15 minutes before my original scheduled start time for today at 745.I am sceehduled to come in at 10am today.. And she did not come in today til 810 or so.. Keep in mind, I am "part time" at my job (though this is changing soon) and she is full time.. Her excuse to the boss about coming in later and many times leaving early is "her children"

I am single and 30 and I'm just fine with that..She is in her upper 30s.. If I left early this often or came in this late, I do not picture it being acceptable and being given a hard time. How come its okay for many working parents to do this, but not the single people?

FYI if I ever do want to leave early, its likely going to be me working on my own business I co own with a few others.. Its not me partying around like many people who are married seem to think thats ALL I do.. Eventually I hope my side business and interests are enough to do to support me completely financially. But that just is not the case now..

Last edited by jbtornado; 12-19-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,672,315 times
Your coworker had no right to be angry at you, especially since you were doing her a favor. However, until you have kids don't judge. I used to despise coworkers with kids that pulled the same stuff. Then I had children, and now I get it. There are times you need to leave for your kids. They come first, no matter what. I manage my time differently. Taking some work home, coming in early etc. Things some wouldn't notice.

Last week in the wake of Newtown's shooting I asked my boss to leave early to meet my kids off the bus and just hug them. She was very understanding (no kids of her own). Until you have kids, it is truly hard to judge.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,075,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Your coworker had no right to be angry at you, especially since you were doing her a favor. However, until you have kids don't judge. I used to despise coworkers with kids that pulled the same stuff. Then I had children, and now I get it. There are times you need to leave for your kids. They come first, no matter what. I manage my time differently. Taking some work home, coming in early etc. Things some wouldn't notice.

Last week in the wake of Newtown's shooting I asked my boss to leave early to meet my kids off the bus and just hug them. She was very understanding (no kids of her own). Until you have kids, it is truly hard to judge.
Yes, well said.

My jobs have all been very fair. Everyone earns a certain amount of PTO. I may have to take more sudden sick days because my kids are sick, or have a snow day, or whatever, but that's PTO I can't take for fun later. Even if someone had to cover for me, I'd have to do the same for them later when they go on vacation.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Whether it's an issue with kids, a spouse, or an elderly parent, I like to be flexible with my people and allow them to come in late and stay late or come in early and leave early as long as it's not too often, or use PTO when they need to. Some employers do value family, but the work still has to get done.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
I would not have been so nice.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:00 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,369,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Whether it's an issue with kids, a spouse, or an elderly parent, I like to be flexible with my people and allow them to come in late and stay late or come in early and leave early as long as it's not too often, or use PTO when they need to. Some employers do value family, but the work still has to get done.
I agree with this. My employer is pretty flexible and allows us to take our PTO without a lot of notice...so when things come up, we are all able to get the time we need. I do not have kids but I recently had a medical issue that was a surprise and needed to have it handled asap...my work was cool with it. Now, do they also give people a lot fo slack when kids are involved? Yes. But they also give those of us without kids slack when random things happen to us.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 AM

691 posts, read 769,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

You can't force the business or your co-workers to assume that same responsibility for YOUR kids. Once you make your personal problems their problem you will soon to be replaced or passed over for promotion due to your unreliability.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Where I currently work, a lot of the parents bail early or in the middle of the day to deal with kid emergencies or other miscellaneous kid-related things. However, their work still gets done...so I don't really care.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
Yeah.
People bail earlier, show up later, etc...all citing the kid.
I would love to cite my dog's doctor's appointment for the reason I did the same, but that's somehow 'different.'

Btw, I have a kid now and I still don't bail.
My choice to have a child is not someone else's problem.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,752,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My choice to have a child is not someone else's problem.
They should hand out a certificate at the hosipital that says that whenever a couple has a kid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment