Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,018 times

Advertisements

...Or at least the things you want that are facilitated by money.

Do you like your job enough that you would be willing to do the same amount of work that you are currently doing now for lower/no money?

The reason I ask these questions is because I'm at a crossroads in my life. I can't decide whether I should choose a career that I am in love with (videogame design) that doesn't pay well over a career that I'm ambivalent about, but pays extremely well. I'm trying to gain perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
...Or at least the things you want that are facilitated by money.

Do you like your job enough that you would be willing to do the same amount of work that you are currently doing now for lower/no money?

The reason I ask these questions is because I'm at a crossroads in my life. I can't decide whether I should choose a career that I am in love with (videogame design) that doesn't pay well over a career that I'm ambivalent about, but pays extremely well. I'm trying to gain perspective.
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would quit my job and drop out of school the same day.

As far as your crossroads, I've been there. For years, I thought of becoming a professional musician, but I eventually decided to sack the idea, get a more stable and better paying day job, and do it on the side. The thought of being broke and single when I was 57 years old kind of led me to that. Are you a man or a woman?

Video game design can pay OK. I know a few friends who do it, and they do OK. What is the high paying career you are thinking of?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,555 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I would keep working, because I have a job that I really enjoy at a really nice location with a water and mountain view office.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
No, I wouldn't do my current job. I would do something though. I'd probably find a cause or 2 that meant a lot to me and volunteer a lot.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:56 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,428,541 times
Last time I had a job I enjoyed was 1998 so I think I've forgotten what that's like...but I would probably keep busy with something just so as not to become stir crazy;

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would quit my job and drop out of school the same day.

As far as your crossroads, I've been there. For years, I thought of becoming a professional musician, but I eventually decided to sack the idea, get a more stable and better paying day job, and do it on the side. The thought of being broke and single when I was 57 years old kind of led me to that. Are you a man or a woman?

Video game design can pay OK. I know a few friends who do it, and they do OK. What is the high paying career you are thinking of?
I'm female. Why?

Not the kind of videogames I want to design. I want to make point and click adventure games. They cater to a small audience. Think "Monkey Island", "Gabriel Knight", "Sam and Max" etc. The most succesful videogames are RPG's or FPS's.

I would probably study math and become a number cruncher. I've always had a natural talent for math, but I'm not passionate about it.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I'm female. Why?

Not the kind of videogames I want to design. I want to make point and click adventure games. They cater to a small audience. Think "Monkey Island", "Gabriel Knight", "Sam and Max" etc. The most succesful videogames are RPG's or FPS's.

I would probably study math and become a number cruncher. I've always had a natural talent for math, but I'm not passionate about it.
Well. If you are a man, you may have to think more about being financially stout and stable than if you were a woman. It's just kind of that way a little.

Like I said, I have friends who work in video games and they do pretty well. Much better than musicians actually. It's such a popular thing these days.

Here's one studio a bud worked for...

Ready At Dawn Studios

Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I may work at some point, but it sure as heck wouldn't be what I do now.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,288 times
The bigger question is Would you rather be happy and satisfied and have the possibility of financial hardship or not?

Now in my 40's I have some regrets, the one I deal with every day is the lack of freedom due to financial difficulties. My advice would be to do the $$ thing when you get the chance and make a nice nest egg. THEN do what fulfills you so you can enjoy it. Hope that helps.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
We have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of our lives but I still work. My husband retires next summer and I need a way to escape. I've never had him around 24/7 forever and I don't know if I can handle that. He is the love of my life but all this togetherness scares the crap out of me. I think I may become a bigger workaholic after he retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment