Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 AM

14 posts, read 48,592 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I need some help. I have a Bachelor's degree in art and an MBA. I am unhappy where my undergraduate degree has gotten me (aka no where) and I just got my MBA last month. I am thinking about becoming a flight attendant to do something I actually enjoy and be able to travel. What are some options in this field for someone with an MBA? Looking for a gameplan here.. will I possibly be paid more for having an advanced degree? If not, does it seem plausible to put in a year or so as a flight attendant and perhaps move up to some sort of management (what kind?)? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Have you looked at the job prospects for flight attendants?

You are not traveling for enjoyment--you are flying and working. I used to work at an airport and we had a bunkhouse for aircrews so they could get a few hours shut-eye before jumping back on their next outgoing flight.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
My wife was like you, she wanted to travel so she went and applied with Delta, last year. She is in her 40's can speak 3 languages and when she arrived at the group cattle call everyone that was selected was in their 20's and petite. They like them small and/or thin because you have to fit in the jump seat. She had everything but age and was turned down. The pay wasn't great either. You get paid when the door closes on the plane to when it opens.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Flight attendants do not make much money. Your degree does not matter; they would have a starting salary without experience. If you speak other foreign languages that works more to your advantage than having an MBA. If you are very serious about being a flight attendant, I would perhaps leave the MBA off the resume and stress customer service experience. I think you could do better in office support for an airline company. I think being a flight attendant would be a hard job, I don't recommend it unless you are very outgoing, willing to put up with difficult fliers and flexible. I would talk to some flight attendants to get more feedback.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM

445 posts, read 864,422 times
Go to the airline's career page and look under the corporate jobs. Leave flight attendant jobs to the "coffee, tea or me" crowd.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Flight attendant was one of the worst jobs I had - mostly just delivering food/drinks. And yes, the pay was really bad. Also, I didn't have senority so and was often on call or on really early flights - it was very tiring. But some people absolutely LOVED it - they were living their dream, so if that's your dream, go for it. If it's really not your dream, I'd use the MBA to get a job that paid well and allowed you the money to travel outside of work. I don't think the MBA will be a help as a flight attendant.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
Be a Flight Attendent! Go for it and when you've had enough (if that happens), find something else using that MBA. There is an admiration for what Flight Attendents do...live your dream.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
Be a Flight Attendent! Go for it and when you've had enough (if that happens), find something else using that MBA. There is an admiration for what Flight Attendents do...live your dream.
When you have a specialized degree, it's not always smart to take a job that is not at all related to your field, unless you love it and you see yourself doing that instead. I'm in that situation right now, working at Target while trying to find something in my field. If I stay another year at Target with no relevant experience, it could be much harder to find a job.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
When you have a specialized degree, it's not always smart to take a job that is not at all related to your field, unless you love it and you see yourself doing that instead. I'm in that situation right now, working at Target while trying to find something in my field. If I stay another year at Target with no relevant experience, it could be much harder to find a job.
That's where I am at too. I have college degree over 7 years of success in outside sales, but telecom is dying so I got laid off. I am out work 7 months now and am considering an hourly job, but my UI is a buck less an hour so what's the point. As you mentioned even if I did it would hurt my brand. My wife when I say my brand, but hey I a multi year president's club member and have received numerous awards.

Don't get me wrong I work very hard to find good paying jobs like I had before I am not goofing off all day.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
My wife was like you, she wanted to travel so she went and applied with Delta, last year. She is in her 40's can speak 3 languages and when she arrived at the group cattle call everyone that was selected was in their 20's and petite. They like them small and/or thin because you have to fit in the jump seat. She had everything but age and was turned down. The pay wasn't great either. You get paid when the door closes on the plane to when it opens.
I think it depends on the airline. I have a relative who was just hired by Jetblue and she's in her 50's. She is thin, though. I think they hired her because she's very outgoing. It was her dream job, but she had to wait til her kids were grown to try for it, but she loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment