Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,020,355 times

Advertisements

I started a new job about a year ago and it has been a really interesting learning experience.

I've always done ok at work. I am a decent performer, generally well-liked by my peers and management. But a little under the radar. I get my job done, but my contributions probably seem invisible. They are most noticeable when I leave.

And I have heard through the grapevine stuff I have setup sticks around long after I am gone.

This new job was a super new experience for me. I was referred by a trusted friend to one of the mangers. I happened to luck out a few months later and a new senior leader joined the team who was close to one of my most recently added professional cheerleaders. So the new exec had already heard good things about me.

So what this means is I am more "insider" than I have ever been at any company. And wow it is so I tersting how different being an "insider" feels vs just being regular Joe employee.

I am doing nothing new, I am doing the same things I have done in every organization I have worked at. But now it is extra visible and people are extra appreciative. People want to hear about my process changes and I am encouraged to share them with the whole company. It is so strange and baffling to me. It makes me feel like I was super under appreciated in a myriad of previous jobs. People are also very receptive to my input. Strange indeed.

Have you had this feeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,365,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I started a new job about a year ago and it has been a really interesting learning experience.

I've always done ok at work. I am a decent performer, generally well-liked by my peers and management. But a little under the radar. I get my job done, but my contributions probably seem invisible. They are most noticeable when I leave.

And I have heard through the grapevine stuff I have setup sticks around long after I am gone.

This new job was a super new experience for me. I was referred by a trusted friend to one of the mangers. I happened to luck out a few months later and a new senior leader joined the team who was close to one of my most recently added professional cheerleaders. So the new exec had already heard good things about me.

So what this means is I am more "insider" than I have ever been at any company. And wow it is so I tersting how different being an "insider" feels vs just being regular Joe employee.

I am doing nothing new, I am doing the same things I have done in every organization I have worked at. But now it is extra visible and people are extra appreciative. People want to hear about my process changes and I am encouraged to share them with the whole company. It is so strange and baffling to me. It makes me feel like I was super under appreciated in a myriad of previous jobs. People are also very receptive to my input. Strange indeed.

Have you had this feeling?

isn't it nice to be on the advantageous side of the boat? i wish i'd be lucky enough in my lifetime to be in an insider at work.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,020,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
isn't it nice to be on the advantageous side of the boat? i wish i'd be lucky enough in my lifetime to be in an insider at work.
There's hope! I feel like I did my time on the other side of the boat for a while (I'm in my late 30s). Not sure what happened but I'll take it.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,365,031 times
take it however long you'll have it. you'll never know how long it's gonna last

Old 08-29-2016, 11:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,912,270 times
It's a valid observation. When people have a certain view of you, whether it's positive, negative, or neutral - it's hard to shake it. Enjoy it, and I'm glad you are somewhere that you're valued!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,754,457 times
If ya don't get in....
Can't get booted out!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 AM

213 posts, read 205,945 times
There is a developing clique of young adults at my place of work. All started by two people who started dating (a douche-bag and one of those idiot pretty girls who fall for douche-bags). She always has this look of guilt on her face. Then her friend got hired. Her friend is one of those ugly on the outside and ugly in the inside types who cannot stand or comprehend anything that doesn't reflect the status quo. She is also extremely stupid, not being able to recognize spilled wine in front of her by either smell or appearance even with the broken bottle sitting right in front of her face and thinking Finding Dory has a "complex" plot "Omg, I just really need to see it " (She is college aged). Then there is one of the newer people, who was a very hard worker originally. He joined the developing clique and began acting like a little girl, running around and whispering things as if he was spreading rumors or gossip and acting like he was too good to greet certain people all of a sudden.

Adults behaving like they were in high-school and seeing men act like little girls running around giggling and gossiping have always been some of my biggest pet peeves, even when I was a kid.

There is another clique, but i'll describe that one later.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM

7,978 posts, read 5,019,642 times
Some places are going to have better management than others, some are going to be more appreciative than others. The only way to show REAL Appreciation is to see that reflective in your pay increases however.

"Atta Boys" don't pay the bills. So talk is cheap IMO. The employer can give the "atta boy"s until they are blue in the face, I could care less if it the pay doesn't reflect the appreciation.

A lot of employers like to give the verbal great job constantly, which is good positive reinforcement but if thats all you get after a few years with the company time to leave.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,397,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan666 View Post
There is a developing clique of young adults at my place of work. All started by two people who started dating (a douche-bag and one of those idiot pretty girls who fall for douche-bags). She always has this look of guilt on her face. Then her friend got hired. Her friend is one of those ugly on the outside and ugly in the inside types who cannot stand or comprehend anything that doesn't reflect the status quo. She is also extremely stupid, not being able to recognize spilled wine in front of her by either smell or appearance even with the broken bottle sitting right in front of her face and thinking Finding Dory has a "complex" plot "Omg, I just really need to see it " (She is college aged). Then there is one of the newer people, who was a very hard worker originally. He joined the developing clique and began acting like a little girl, running around and whispering things as if he was spreading rumors or gossip and acting like he was too good to greet certain people all of a sudden.

Adults behaving like they were in high-school and seeing men act like little girls running around giggling and gossiping have always been some of my biggest pet peeves, even when I was a kid.

There is another clique, but i'll describe that one later.
I can't wait that long. Tell us now!

Old 08-30-2016, 12:33 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,837,941 times
I think that your ideas are being received well and you're enjoying it. I hope you enjoy everyday you have with this company. Not often to see someone post "I LOVE my job and am super happy at it"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment