U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
1,201 posts, read 1,767,580 times
Reputation: 979

Advertisements

I have been a stay at home parent for the last few years, doing mostly low paying freelance writing to earn a little extra income. I started an online college program to become a certified teacher, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Getting a teaching job is harder than ever these days, and I really don't think I'm cut out for it. On top of that, I have a son who I'd prefer to homeschool. I compromised with myself and told myself that I'd put him in Montessori school instead. But the more I think of it, the more I'm stressing out about the cost of paying for Montessori school with a teacher's income.

So then I thought about massage therapy, so I could homeschool and work part time doing that. I went to school for this before, but I'm in a new state with different licensing laws that require me to complete a completely new program again at the cost of $5,000. I know I wouldn't hate this work, but it will be an uphill battle just to make a decent living. Plus, the upfront investment is really high.

Really, I'd like to pursue freelance writing more, but I know I need to hone my skills much more to be able to get better paying freelance writing gigs. I really can't do that right now because I'm so burnt out from doing all these low paying writing gigs that have sucked the passion out of me. I need to make a living doing something not related to writing so I will have the emotional/intellectual energy to spend my free time working on my writing skills, pitching articles, etc.

Besides that, the only other job I've ever enjoyed has been waitressing. It can be stressful at times, but I have never dreaded going to work as a waitress. Beyond that, a good waitress at a decent establishment can make $20+ hour. That's as much as I could make working for someone else as a massage therapist. And pretty close to the hourly wage of a teacher, when all things are considered. Plus, waitressing jobs are everywhere. Considering I already have the skills to do this job well, and I'm a hard, dependable worker, I see no reason why I can't do exceptionally well with this as a "career" for many years until I get a freelance writing career going. But of course, there is always the possibility that the freelance writing career will never take off beyond a poverty level salary...

On top of that, I can work part time as a waitress so that I can homeschool my son, making the cost of private school unnecessary.

Am I stupid to give up a teaching career path to become a waitress and pursue freelance writing?! I really don't want to do anything else, career wise, but I don't want to be really, really poor for the rest of my life either.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 AM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 12,425,432 times
Reputation: 3136
No idea if it is stupid. I was in retail for a while, got REALLY tired of the idiots in the public realm and the hours. Ran for the hills. However, ironically, the son of the last boss I had in retail was a waiter and was making about 100,000k in wages and tips. He has been at it a while and loves it. Used ot make her mad that she was not able to tell him that he did not have a career when he was making that kind of money...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 AM
 
7,943 posts, read 7,388,778 times
Reputation: 5862
Don't waste your time with that crap. Find a real job even if it's just a blue collar vocation...you can make a very livable salary if you set your sights a little higher.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Status: "Enjoying the winter" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,085 posts, read 61,991,364 times
Reputation: 38004
If you like the work and it pays enough to live on in your area, then go for it. I can't imagine living on $20/hour here with a kid, but then our cost of living is far more than yours. My only real problem with it is that very few restaurants offer any kind of medical care, and even fewer offer a retirement plan. Teachers get both, plus substantial raises with experience and additional training.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 AM
 
456 posts, read 1,065,090 times
Reputation: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
No idea if it is stupid. I was in retail for a while, got REALLY tired of the idiots in the public realm and the hours. Ran for the hills. However, ironically, the son of the last boss I had in retail was a waiter and was making about 100,000k in wages and tips. He has been at it a while and loves it. Used ot make her mad that she was not able to tell him that he did not have a career when he was making that kind of money...
$100,000 as a waiter? I find that really hard to believe.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,988 posts, read 32,112,098 times
Reputation: 7336
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
$100,000 as a waiter? I find that really hard to believe.
Me too.

I've heard some pretty wild stuff on here, but that's unbelievable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM
 
355 posts, read 801,591 times
Reputation: 466
My 19 year son makes $20-$30 an hour as a waiter at an Italian restaurant chain. If its work you enjoy, go for it.
I've seen how teachers get treated at public and private school from the administration AND parents. You've got to really love that line of work and others people's kids.

I think waitressing and dealing with the public will give you a lot of good material to write about to work on your freelance career on the side
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 AM
 
456 posts, read 1,065,090 times
Reputation: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Me too.

I've heard some pretty wild stuff on here, but that's unbelievable.
Otherwise, wouldn't EVERYONE and their mom want to become a waiter?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
 
2,612 posts, read 5,060,112 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I have been a stay at home parent for the last few years, doing mostly low paying freelance writing to earn a little extra income. I started an online college program to become a certified teacher, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Getting a teaching job is harder than ever these days, and I really don't think I'm cut out for it. On top of that, I have a son who I'd prefer to homeschool. I compromised with myself and told myself that I'd put him in Montessori school instead. But the more I think of it, the more I'm stressing out about the cost of paying for Montessori school with a teacher's income.

So then I thought about massage therapy, so I could homeschool and work part time doing that. I went to school for this before, but I'm in a new state with different licensing laws that require me to complete a completely new program again at the cost of $5,000. I know I wouldn't hate this work, but it will be an uphill battle just to make a decent living. Plus, the upfront investment is really high.

Really, I'd like to pursue freelance writing more, but I know I need to hone my skills much more to be able to get better paying freelance writing gigs. I really can't do that right now because I'm so burnt out from doing all these low paying writing gigs that have sucked the passion out of me. I need to make a living doing something not related to writing so I will have the emotional/intellectual energy to spend my free time working on my writing skills, pitching articles, etc.

Besides that, the only other job I've ever enjoyed has been waitressing. It can be stressful at times, but I have never dreaded going to work as a waitress. Beyond that, a good waitress at a decent establishment can make $20+ hour. That's as much as I could make working for someone else as a massage therapist. And pretty close to the hourly wage of a teacher, when all things are considered. Plus, waitressing jobs are everywhere. Considering I already have the skills to do this job well, and I'm a hard, dependable worker, I see no reason why I can't do exceptionally well with this as a "career" for many years until I get a freelance writing career going. But of course, there is always the possibility that the freelance writing career will never take off beyond a poverty level salary...

On top of that, I can work part time as a waitress so that I can homeschool my son, making the cost of private school unnecessary.

Am I stupid to give up a teaching career path to become a waitress and pursue freelance writing?! I really don't want to do anything else, career wise, but I don't want to be really, really poor for the rest of my life either.
If you were 20 and childless this might make sense. However, if there is a child in the picture I think you might want to be more practical. As for waitressing, this is not a career for most people. Think about it - when's the last time you saw a mom-aged woman waiting tables in a good restaurant? Mostly it's very young women and men. Really fine restaurants prefer to hire men. Popular restaurants prefer young women and men. Moms work at Ihop. Not big bucks. Also, the work is hardly dependable enough to support a child. You can make 100 one night and 5 the next. And don't you need benefits??

Freelance writing is also not a realistic career. Most people can't make a living at it, certainly not a good one. Freelance anything is not a good career for someone with a child.

You need to think about real jobs. Teaching was a good idea, but if you were planning to teach high school English with an online degree then that was not such a good idea. You would need to find a high-needs area (like ESL or special ed), and then enroll in a real program at a real university. In the meantime you could take a job as a teaching assistant or even substitute. You might even get some of the degree paid for by the school district, while getting benefits and a small but reliable salary.

If you are looking for a really flexible field and are willing to do without benefits, you could move into ESL or developmental writing and teach as an adjunct. With a k-12 license as well you'd probably be fairly employable. Add certification to teach english or k-5 or something like that, and you could possibly teach in a private school and get your son a discount. Sounds like you might already have an english degree, so it's not like you would need to start over. You would start at the MA level, NOT get a second BA.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM
 
400 posts, read 1,397,166 times
Reputation: 413
one should enjoy his or her career. there are many people who work in the food industry and love it while others see it as a job for now. if you love it and enjoy it Go For It! you have to be happy so don't let anyone discourage you. the only issue i see is its hard to get a full time waitressing job and the hours fluctuate from week to week so the money can be unpredictable. but there are those who start as a waiter/ waitress then head waiter/ waitress then trainer/ the assistant manager/ manager and so... note the story of Kate Cole who worked her way up the food industry ... Good luck
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top