Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 AM

23 posts, read 80,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It never worked out for me because they expected me to be able to find a job without having transportation.
Is that the only reason?? I have a car, so no issues there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM

14 posts, read 38,546 times
I have a Construstion Co and have hired many Folks with attention problems.

The hands on work seems to fit in with the mental.

JonMon

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsw1tchd View Post
I'd love a restaurant job, cuz I'm pretty good at cooking obviously the basic home stuff, and I've always wanted learn more about it and perhaps have a chef career. However, the only major they have at Broome Community College in food/business is Hotel/Restaurant Management. If that's somewhat related??
I've never been diagnosed with ADHD, but I have all the symptoms to the point that a lot of jobs don't really seem like an option for me (and I've tried quite a few different types) because they just wouldn't work out with my ADHD symptoms. However, restaurant work has always seemed to fit for some reason. Maybe because there is lots to do that is a combo of mind/body that keeps everything in sync. And there is lots of structure in that environment, but not too much. Like multi-tasking is kinda difficult for me at times because my short term memory is not that great, but most restaurants have systems for doing everything and you quickly get in the habit of doing it their way and all the planning/organization is kind of taken care of for you, you just have to follow it.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I've never been diagnosed with ADHD, but I have all the symptoms to the point that a lot of jobs don't really seem like an option for me (and I've tried quite a few different types) because they just wouldn't work out with my ADHD symptoms. However, restaurant work has always seemed to fit for some reason. Maybe because there is lots to do that is a combo of mind/body that keeps everything in sync. And there is lots of structure in that environment, but not too much. Like multi-tasking is kinda difficult for me at times because my short term memory is not that great, but most restaurants have systems for doing everything and you quickly get in the habit of doing it their way and all the planning/organization is kind of taken care of for you, you just have to follow it.
I'm pretty good w/ multi-tasking. It's kinda like my thing too. A job that requires alotta motivation. Do restaurants ever hire anyone w/ no previous work experience by any chance?? I mean, I heard that some employers focus more on the employee's task performance, rather than work history

Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
Quote:
Is that the only reason?? I have a car, so no issues there
I'm in the process of getting one. Once I have one I'll have to decide between finding a job or going to a community college with financial aid. A GED doesn't mean much when you are competing with college gards and people with lots of work history.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,547 times
Quote:
I'm pretty good w/ multi-tasking. It's kinda like my thing too. A job that requires alotta motivation. Do restaurants ever hire anyone w/ no previous work experience by any chance?? I mean, I heard that some employers focus more on the employee's task performance, rather than work history
Some do, but you'll probably have to start low...like the almost fast food type places. And you may have to start as a dishwasher or busser, but you can easily move up from there usually.

Another option maybe is to volunteer at a soup kitchen type place to get some experience. I googled your county and I think you are close to Ithaca? I would imagine there would be some good volunteer opportunities there where you could learn some actual culinary skills b/c it's like a yuppie activist haven. lol I don't know, I'm just assuming because pretty much the most gourmet food I've ever eaten has been free while doing activist/environmentalist type stuff. Chefs volunteer their time to cater a wide variety of non-proft things, and if you volunteer to help out, you could work along-side them and pick up a lot of skills/knowledge and maybe score some good references in the process.

Last edited by soanchorless; 03-15-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Some do, but you'll probably have to start low...like the almost fast food type places. And you may have to start as a dishwasher or busser, but you can easily move up from there usually.

Another option maybe is to volunteer at a soup kitchen type place to get some experience. I googled your county and I think you are close to Ithaca? I would imagine there would be some good volunteer opportunities there where you could learn some actual culinary skills b/c it's like a yuppie activist haven. lol I don't know, I'm just assuming because pretty much the most gourmet food I've ever eaten has been free while doing activist/environmentalist type stuff. Chefs volunteer their time to cater a wide variety of non-proft things, and if you volunteer to help out, you could work along-side them and pick up a lot of skills/knowledge and maybe score some good references in the process.
Technically, I live in Vestal, NY. So, Ithaca is about 30-45 mins from me. I just looked up some program associated w/ the SSI place called "Ticket To Work." I'm definitely gonna look into that first thing on Monday, since they're closed on weekends. I'm sure they have something within that field, and I don't mind having to start low. I mean, if I was able to obtain a GED within only 4 months, I'm sure I'd have no issue on the next step

Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM

51 posts, read 124,385 times
I have nothing new to add since you already received great advice. I just wanted to cheer you on. You have already accomplished a lot and it sounds like you're focused and thinking about your goals. Keep moving forward!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
I was told Ticket to work is for SSDI. For SSDI you can earn a set amount monthly (about $900) with no effect on your benefits. After 9 months you may lose the benefits. SSI is income based. For SSI you just get the job and report the income at the beginning of every month. Your benefits will be reduced. After a while of working when you go to a review, they may cut off your benefits. I'm looking forward to the day that happens to me.

Last edited by parried; 03-15-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Jeez, how do all these young folks end up on SSI? Seriously, America has got to be the only country where you can get something by contributing absolutely nothing but utter dependency. Seriously, go flip some burgers or something to at least get some actual work experience.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I have screwed up in my life too. I made some awful choices in my youth, had run ins with the law when I was in my teens, did some things I am ashamed of today. Guess what... You screw up, you learn, and you move on. Don't use it as an excuse for your lack of success. Don't use it as a prequalifier for a handout. Use it as motivation to better yourself. Make it your mission to do something positive in this world. You have the advantage of seeing how crappy your actions can make your life.

You're 30. You've never had a job. SO WHAT! Go do some menial work that will afford some sliver of an opportunity to climb the ladder. Go in every day and work like you mean it. Observe the hardest working person on that crew. Make it your mission to work 150% as hard as them. If you make a few enemies in the process, you're doing something right.

And if you think I'm mean, you haven't seen anything yet. I've worked for some downright nasty slave drivers. They also instilled some important traits that helped me latter on in life. Some of the meanest bosses happened to be mean for a reason. They wouldn't waste their time being mean unless they saw something in you worth molding. They also unloaded everything they had to offer with regards to skills and knowledge. You don't get something for nothing in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment