Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM

110 posts, read 330,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I think it's HILARIOUS ADHD/ADD or depression or anxiety or being cranky are considered "diseases" that will not let you live the same life as everyone else. ADD isn't real. I can barely pay attention to anything longer than 5,10,15 minutes at a time. But it's not some "disease" or "disorder." All of the people who took ADD/ADHD meds that I know have serious issues with their memory after years of being on that garbage (which is pretty much speed).

I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for anyone who has any of these issues. OH MY GOD I have...DEPRESSION...feel bad for me. Um everyone gets depressed. Some people get so depressed, they fall into a hole of gloom and doom, but that doesn't mean they don't live their lives just like everyone else. They have no excuse.

In most other countries, people aren't taking medicine for these "disorders." I had never even heard of ADD until I came to America.
are you a mental health or cognitive development professional? If so, then you clearly weren't paying attention in class. If not, then you have literally no business telling people what is and isn't a "real" disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 AM

23 posts, read 80,041 times
What about BOCES?? If anyone has ever heard of it. I know it's a vocational school, so would that be a better option than a community college?? I see all over the internet of people complaining about never being able to find a job within their field of studies once they graduate, so could a vocational school like BOCES be a better option for someone w/ no work experience. Do they offer actual training???

Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I think it's HILARIOUS ADHD/ADD or depression or anxiety or being cranky are considered "diseases" that will not let you live the same life as everyone else. ADD isn't real. I can barely pay attention to anything longer than 5,10,15 minutes at a time. But it's not some "disease" or "disorder." All of the people who took ADD/ADHD meds that I know have serious issues with their memory after years of being on that garbage (which is pretty much speed).

I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for anyone who has any of these issues. OH MY GOD I have...DEPRESSION...feel bad for me. Um everyone gets depressed. Some people get so depressed, they fall into a hole of gloom and doom, but that doesn't mean they don't live their lives just like everyone else. They have no excuse.

In most other countries, people aren't taking medicine for these "disorders." I had never even heard of ADD until I came to America.
Agree. As if human beings didn't have these "ailment" for centuries before yet somehow they persevered. Americans are just coddled and spoiled. My sister was is 31. She was born 3 months premature and under 2lbs. She had developmental issues but she is now a LPN and is self sufficient.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Agree. As if human beings didn't have these "ailment" for centuries before yet somehow they persevered. Americans are just coddled and spoiled. My sister was is 31. She was born 3 months premature and under 2lbs. She had developmental issues but she is now a LPN and is self sufficient.
Well then, I guess this so-called "coddled and spoiled" American, as you put it, is trying to change to "successful and independent"

Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
You're missing the point. It's the fact that he got it in the first place.

The OP should have been well-aware that once he mention that silver of information, he would be hounded on by other posters.
For me it was no choice. It was either get it, or deal with the strong possibility of living on the street. I have no friends. I have a screwed up family. I'd be in a worse situation then I am now. I used to go to therapy alot in my teens and now I have matured and gotten better at things. It's not a way of life for me. I don't live in luxury. Sometimes I go 2 or 3 days without eating anything. This past january I battled pneumonia and my lungs were permanently damaged because of it. I live wondering if I'm going to make it another day. Instead of complaining so much maybe you should be using that energy to figure out some incentives or actually help some of us get jobs. Your ignorance is directed at the wrong people. You are bashing people like me and OP who want to work. We want a plan of action. You may think we are all deadbeats but not all of us are. We may have a disability but we are human beings just like you, and we live in desperation.

When I used to apply for jobs, I just know when the employer saw I had a GED they assumed....keyword: !!ASSUMED!! I was some trouble maker or ex-con. But guess what? I have a clean record, and I've never done drugs! But it doesn't matter, the ASSUMPTION perpetuates the problem. The stereotypes perpetuate the problem. I just have a GED instead of a diploma, that's just how it worked out for me.

Even if people like me and OP found jobs and managed to get off SSI, I bet you would still be complaining. Well keep hating people like us, just remember you are contributing to the problem!

Your hate FUELS your own hate.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM

Happy SOBER St. Patty's Day to me, btw!!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Right now people all across this country have a growing resentment against us. It seems that even if you want to get off the system, they STILL resent you. Why, I don't know, but it doesn't make things any better. I don't understand how some of you could call me or OP bad job applicants and then you turn around and complain about people not working and being "on the dole". So you wouldn't hire us but when we have no choice but to take assistance you are against that as well?

So we can't get hired for a job and then everyone turns around and says we are bad for taking assistance. Then why do you keep saying get a job? We want one, but ya won't hire. Is there something I am missing? Someone elaborate, please.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Hey OP - if you're interested, this is a good book which might help you on your positive path (This is one of the required textbooks in one of my college classes): On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life by Skip Downing. On Course: Skip Downing: 9780618741564: Amazon.com: Books

There are newer versions, but they are spendy. I have an old used copy of the fifth edition book and you can get it for like 12 bucks.

I wasn't excited about the book at first - it comes off as a little too "Dr. Phil" for me - but now that we're getting more into it and I have done the first four chapters of journal entry exercises, it's turning out to be a positive experience, actually. It has a lot of tools and resources within it that can help you make wise choices and stay positive and keep motivated.

Anyway - good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Hey OP - if you're interested, this is a good book which might help you on your positive path (This is one of the required textbooks in one of my college classes): On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life by Skip Downing. On Course: Skip Downing: 9780618741564: Amazon.com: Books

There are newer versions, but they are spendy. I have an old used copy of the fifth edition book and you can get it for like 12 bucks.

I wasn't excited about the book at first - it comes off as a little too "Dr. Phil" for me - but now that we're getting more into it and I have done the first four chapters of journal entry exercises, it's turning out to be a positive experience, actually. It has a lot of tools and resources within it that can help you make wise choices and stay positive and keep motivated.

Anyway - good luck!
I'll have to check it out. Theres a Barnes & Noble about a mile from me

Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
For me it was no choice. It was either get it, or deal with the strong possibility of living on the street. I have no friends. I have a screwed up family. I'd be in a worse situation then I am now. I used to go to therapy alot in my teens and now I have matured and gotten better at things. It's not a way of life for me. I don't live in luxury. Sometimes I go 2 or 3 days without eating anything. This past january I battled pneumonia and my lungs were permanently damaged because of it. I live wondering if I'm going to make it another day. Instead of complaining so much maybe you should be using that energy to figure out some incentives or actually help some of us get jobs. Your ignorance is directed at the wrong people. You are bashing people like me and OP who want to work. We want a plan of action. You may think we are all deadbeats but not all of us are. We may have a disability but we are human beings just like you, and we live in desperation.

When I used to apply for jobs, I just know when the employer saw I had a GED they assumed....keyword: !!ASSUMED!! I was some trouble maker or ex-con. But guess what? I have a clean record, and I've never done drugs! But it doesn't matter, the ASSUMPTION perpetuates the problem. The stereotypes perpetuate the problem. I just have a GED instead of a diploma, that's just how it worked out for me.

Even if people like me and OP found jobs and managed to get off SSI, I bet you would still be complaining. Well keep hating people like us, just remember you are contributing to the problem!

Your hate FUELS your own hate.
Please re-read what I originally posted. You definitely have the wrong conception of my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment