Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times

Advertisements

You don't know the complexity of this. I've been trying to figure this out since I was 18 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Good for you. I wish you the very best.
I am thinking that since you have ADHD, you might do well in a physically active job. Perhaps you could get a job with the city where you live on the road dept. Or maybe with a construction company.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Good for you in wanting to change your life OP! My advice is to don't give up your SSI until you are done with school. Maybe get a part-time job that will allow you to learn some extra cash and build up your resume. Since you don't have any work experience, I would recommend doing something before you start a career. There is a lot you can learn in a menial job that will make you more successful in a career. A person really needs basic work skills that one only learns from a menial job such as how to handle stress, dealing with people, working hard and doing a good job before they start their career.

As far as careers are concerned, you might look into something physical. I have worked with ADHD students in the past and a job where you sit at a desk would be tough. There is a huge demand for diesel mechanics right now. You might look into something like that. A relative of mine had some issues with his diesel truck and couldn't find a mechanic to look at his vehicle. They also make great money.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
It's almost impossible to find the menial jobs now.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM

23 posts, read 80,055 times
I've got everything set and made a final decision.. I've just applied at Broome Community College for the Computer Technology major, and I feel that's where I wanna take the direction. I'll pass it. I know I will, and definitely thanks for the positive feedback, regardless a few negative ones, but that doesn't bother me

Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsw1tchd View Post
I've got everything set and made a final decision.. I've just applied at Broome Community College for the Computer Technology major, and I feel that's where I wanna take the direction. I'll pass it. I know I will, and definitely thanks for the positive feedback, regardless a few negative ones, but that doesn't bother me
Awesome! Best wishes!!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM

23 posts, read 80,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Good for you in wanting to change your life OP! My advice is to don't give up your SSI until you are done with school. Maybe get a part-time job that will allow you to learn some extra cash and build up your resume. Since you don't have any work experience, I would recommend doing something before you start a career. There is a lot you can learn in a menial job that will make you more successful in a career. A person really needs basic work skills that one only learns from a menial job such as how to handle stress, dealing with people, working hard and doing a good job before they start their career.

As far as careers are concerned, you might look into something physical. I have worked with ADHD students in the past and a job where you sit at a desk would be tough. There is a huge demand for diesel mechanics right now. You might look into something like that. A relative of mine had some issues with his diesel truck and couldn't find a mechanic to look at his vehicle. They also make great money.
I'm gonna major in Computer Technology in the Fall, and the school has a job/workstudy service option, which I definitely checked when I was applying, so yeah, if they have that workstudy thing, I'm definitely going w/ that=

Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsw1tchd View Post
I'm gonna major in Computer Technology in the Fall, and the school has a job/workstudy service option, which I definitely checked when I was applying, so yeah, if they have that workstudy thing, I'm definitely going w/ that=
Definitely do the work study!

I did that while in school and it was easy money and allows you to study while there.

Good luck with everything!

Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 1,375 times
First of all. For those criticizing those with mental illness. Shame on you! You are the problem of society and why these people cannot find work! Secondly, those with mental illness should also look into forming their own business and be self employed. It is a big slap in the face to these employers who Parried calls Sociopaths and those who will put down those with mental illness when they never will understand because they never walked in these people's shoes who have mental illness. Those with mental illness who own their own business might one day become successful and employ others. For those that are being mean to those with mental illness. Just remember this. You might one day be working for someone with a mental illness. If you harbor those kind of feelings toward these human beings that you so resent, you might be the one living out on the street instead!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Is never too late as long as you are willing to do it. Believe in yourself, nothing can stand your way with your willing heart.

Wish you the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment