Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I know I posted a similar thread a while back.I am a recent college grad.I graduated a few years ago with a bachelors in a non-STEM field.Its just a liberal arts degree.I was not good at math so I could not have been an engineer or anything like that.I do not have experience because I was in school.I saw a want ad in the paper for various positions at a local sports team helping out with home stands.Its a job that high school kids would take. Moving is not an option for me right now.

Also, the highest paying jobs I can find are McJobs because they pay more than non-oil and gas office jobs where I live. All the office jobs require experience. Also, I am pretty sure that the job I am looking at now would pay poorly too. I think it would probably pay less than working at the local McDonalds. Also, I read that taking a McJob after college can jeopardize your career going forward even into the distant future. I do not know how I will land a entry-level position that pays even 30 grand a year. Should I consider working at the ballpark or should I keep looking for a entry-level position. What do y'all think I should do?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 06:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
It’s a job. Work.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post

Also, the highest paying jobs I can find are McJobs because they pay more than non-oil and gas office jobs where I live. All the office jobs require experience. Also, I am pretty sure that the job I am looking at now would pay poorly too. I think it would probably pay less than working at the local McDonalds. Also, I read that taking a McJob after college can jeopardize your career going forward even into the distant future. I do not know how I will land a entry-level position that pays even 30 grand a year. Should I consider working at the ballpark or should I keep looking for a entry-level position. What do y'all think I should do?Thanks in advance.
Working at McDonald's didn't hinder Jeff Bezos. In fact, a lot of successful people started in unglamorous jobs: https://www.businessinsider.com/firs...-people-2017-6

Take SOME kind of job. The longer you're unemployed, the less employable you're going to be.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:17 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
As someone who hires people, taking a McJob looks 100x better than no job at all. Show me you want to work.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. I know I posted a similar thread a while back.I am a recent college grad.I graduated a few years ago with a bachelors in a non-STEM field.Its just a liberal arts degree.I was not good at math so I could not have been an engineer or anything like that.I do not have experience because I was in school.I saw a want ad in the paper for various positions at a local sports team helping out with home stands.Its a job that high school kids would take. Moving is not an option for me right now.

Don't just look at any such job as an end in itself. Look at any avenues it might lead up to with that employer. Compare the McJob to the ballpark in that way. Ask them whether they have any routes for moving up and into office support if that's something of interest. You don't have the skills RIGHT THIS SECOND for other positions with them that pay what you want, but you could establish yourself as a good worker, responsible and willing to learn. You could find your way into a job that would give you some leverage/experience/skills to build on. Moving upward might happen with either employer, but that doesn't mean you have to spend the rest of your career with them.

You can keep finding reasons not to take a job until the cows come home but that's not helping you solve the bigger problem. Gotta start somewhere, especially if you can't compete.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
"Liberal Arts" cuts a pretty wide swath; what is your degree in? Any college jobs or internships? As noted above, what can the job turn in to? Who provides the best opportunity to grow? Also, while the stadium job is a start, it is very part time work. If you land this job, you also need to keep looking for another "day job."

Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. I know I posted a similar thread a while back.I am a recent college grad.I graduated a few years ago [....] I do not have experience because I was in school.
1) You aren't a recent college grad, a recent grad would have graduated in the last few months, not years. By now, you would have been out of college nearly as long as you were in college or even longer

2) You don't have experience because you didn't do anything then, and you aren't doing anything now. Stop blaming college for your lack of doing things

3) take the job because no one is going to hand "experience" to you, and it doesn't matter if you "get" a better job because you won't, and if you did, you would lose it because you don't currently have the skills to keep it

4) so what if it pays low? you act like that is your wage forever, people move up and out in months/years, don't be like those decades old minimum wage workers looking for magic money because it won't get to them

Old 03-23-2019, 07:01 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
Quote:

Apply to research analyst job positions

you'll get it no exp required any college degree will do

pay is subpar, but its a start and you'll make 40-55K + bonus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment