Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:52 PM

238 posts, read 1,139,812 times

Advertisements

Seven years ago I was working as a Operations Director for an IT Company. I was making good money but had a terrible boss. I tried so hard to please the man but he messed with my mind and I started to get therapy to help me deal with the stress. Then my parents died in an accident and I was now in a position to never work again, (I thought). I told the boss to take his job and shove it and have not worked since.

I then worked with a financial advisor who set up a portfolio that should have allowed me to retire at the advanced age of 44.

I devoted the last seven years to travel, intellectual pursuits, friendships, family, volunteer work and teaching classes. Though the money has not lasted as well as I would have hoped, (I overspent my budget), and I now need to go back to work.

I have not found an employer, agency or government agency that will even consider me for a job. They wonder why I have not been working for such a long time and wonder why I have no professional references. When I tell my story they just roll their eyes! If I were a woman it may be easier because I could say I was taking care of my kids, but I am a man with no kids.

Would any employer consider an applicant who has not worked for seven years without any verifiable income for 10 years? My last employer from 1997-2000 is out of business and I can not find any of my old bosses or close coworkers.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,094,996 times
I saw in another thread that you have been to over 70 countries. wh not use your IT background to work for an NGO? Your volunteer and teaching work should be included in your resume, as well. I'm sure that many would like to have someone with your technical skills and background.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 PM

555 posts, read 2,201,404 times
I hope you fired your finacial advisor. You sound interesting. How cool was that to do all those things. Be creative with your resume. Try temp work if you have to. Good Luck.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,208,412 times
You're going to have to think outside the box on this one. I'm in a similar predicament in that I can't provide a reference from my superior having always been the boss myself. This really throws them for a loop.

Your not likely to fit into a normal situation as you've defined it in the past. Try a small business, one that's not into filling in the blank type resumes. Think about your volunteer activities (and contacts), your teaching areas (and contacts), and who could best make use of your travel experiences. If you're lucky you may well find something that is way better than what you had in the past.

Otherwise, something where you're self-employed may be the right alternative.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 PM

16,173 posts, read 32,268,339 times
I agree with the others. You are not the typical worker; celebrate this! Necessity breeds ingenuity.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 AM

11,547 posts, read 52,808,651 times
Perhaps straight commission sales work would be more interesting to you.

There's a great deal of independence involved, and a lot of your ingenuity, sales/people ability, and many potential employers aren't going to be looking at your work history as closely as they are going to be looking at what you bring to the organization today.

With your varied life experience and technical background, there's got to be jobs where you could apply and challenge yourself. If you can't locate something, maybe a visit with a headhunter or employment counseling service would give you some ideas. Even if it costs you a fee, it could lead to a beneficial situation for you.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 PM

8 posts, read 31,861 times
What type of IT work? IT has a huge margin of pay over the rest of the "middle class" here. I know there are a few places (mostly on CList) that want good *nix admins. From the sounds of it most were interested in nix/apache/mysql/php applications , I'm guessing for webdeployment.

Have you worked with PBX phone systems? Set up Asterisk one of your spare boxen, learn it then sell installs/support. AED computers on Beach is looking for someone to set up PBX's. I'm looking for someone to co-admin/dev a asterisk box for learning purposes. Help me build it, go into business with me.... or learn up and split off. It's good now, but in 5 years there will be more people wanting than supplying.

or move to a real city

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Seven years ago I was working as a Operations Director for an IT Company. I was making good money but had a terrible boss. I tried so hard to please the man but he messed with my mind and I started to get therapy to help me deal with the stress. Then my parents died in an accident and I was now in a position to never work again, (I thought). I told the boss to take his job and shove it and have not worked since.

I then worked with a financial advisor who set up a portfolio that should have allowed me to retire at the advanced age of 44.

I devoted the last seven years to travel, intellectual pursuits, friendships, family, volunteer work and teaching classes. Though the money has not lasted as well as I would have hoped, (I overspent my budget), and I now need to go back to work.

I have not found an employer, agency or government agency that will even consider me for a job. They wonder why I have not been working for such a long time and wonder why I have no professional references. When I tell my story they just roll their eyes! If I were a woman it may be easier because I could say I was taking care of my kids, but I am a man with no kids.

Would any employer consider an applicant who has not worked for seven years without any verifiable income for 10 years? My last employer from 1997-2000 is out of business and I can not find any of my old bosses or close coworkers.

Advice?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,473,477 times
Maybe try some real basic stuff? I sort of think it could be some mind relaxing fun.

In the real world, I tend to work fairly intense projects on very intense schedules (advanced engineering type stuff) and then goof-off between them. I follow the psycho-boss thing, because I run across them as project managers and customers. But at least for me, I know they are limited to the run-time of the project.

But between projects, I usually muse that it would be nice to have a short-term break into a more relaxing work world. Maybe like working in a pizza shop. Not one of the chains, but an independent place. I got pretty good at making pizza around the house because I do at least once a week for us and the kids, and I experiment with all sorts of variations and have gotten quite good.

But while musing here are what seem like (to me) might be nice "change of pace" jobs --

Bank teller -- just get to give folks money and smile and be nice. Seems like fun.

Waiter/waiteress -- again, paid to be friendly and helpful to people. Nothing wrong in that.

Window washer -- dunno why, but that seems harmless and fun.

I am thinking real hard about signing on to a Christmas lighting/decorating crew, because that seems like fun for a month or two, and I can take the kids around in the evenings to show them what I have been doing.

One relaxing thing that I usually do is drop back to electrical trade work to goof off -- not like be a slacker -- I am actually still very productive because I like to work -- I just mean goof off because it is below my skill levels. I still kept my trade licenses, but when folks around figure out what I really am, they are always trying to shift me back up into an engineering position.

It may work that way for you, too. Get what might seem like a "fun" job, and when folks figure out that you are just half-stepping you will get pushed up into a real job.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 AM

109 posts, read 448,819 times
Travel Agent, Cruise Line Director? You must know different languages? Translator? Park Ranger? Campground host?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:26 PM

523 posts, read 2,818,974 times
what State are looking to work in ? Verizon is hiring here in Tampa and they are hiring loads of people, tech support and FIOS installers, 50,000 yr is alot for Florida. Ad started in the Tampa Tribune today. I retired 7 yrs ago. They pay all insurance etc for you also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment