Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 AM

238 posts, read 1,140,152 times

Advertisements

After being unemployed for 7 years, one of the scariest things I face is the fear of being forced to sit and do the same thing for 8-12 hours a day every working day of the week. It seems like a terribly long time to sit in one place without the flexibility to do someone different.

I know the average person has to put up with it because they need to pay the rent, but many people in fact say they actually like their job. How could anyone like something where they would be forced to do the same task or duty for such a long time?

When I was working I hated every minute of the day and I worked a number of jobs in multiple environments. Doesn't work seem like a jail sentence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,414,894 times
You know, I often wonder that myself. Something I enjoy about my job is that it changes almost EVERY day. It's always challenging and always keeps my mind going. On the other hand, I know guys that work in hangars that have been inspecting the same parts of airplanes for 20 years, 10 hours a day, 40 hours a week and love their job. I would be utterly miserable doing that. I love having a pilot call me up with a problem right before the plane goes, you gotta think fast, make decisions, and not let people push you into the wrong direction and have confidence in your knowledge. It's great, I wouldn't trade my job for anything else.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM

558 posts, read 2,241,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You know, I often wonder that myself. Something I enjoy about my job is that it changes almost EVERY day. It's always challenging and always keeps my mind going. On the other hand, I know guys that work in hangars that have been inspecting the same parts of airplanes for 20 years, 10 hours a day, 40 hours a week and love their job. I would be utterly miserable doing that. I love having a pilot call me up with a problem right before the plane goes, you gotta think fast, make decisions, and not let people push you into the wrong direction and have confidence in your knowledge. It's great, I wouldn't trade my job for anything else.
OK...I'll bite--what do you do??

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,191,907 times
Sure. It's boring as all get-out. I can't stand working, but as you mentioned, it does keep the roof over the old head....my husband is a pharmacist. He pushes pills into bottles and has been doing so for 34 years. He thinks he has the greatest job in the world...believe me, I've tried to get him to change so that he didn't have to stand all day and didn't work wacky hours. He won't have any part of it - he loves it and I have no doubt he will probably keel over in a pharmacy...he's not going to quit what he loves. I'd find it a real snoozer.

Personally - and no offense intended - I'd be a lot more scared of being unemployed for 7 years and not being able to maintain the life I love so much. THAT'S what keeps me going every day - I have so much more than many do, and a lot of it I can attribute to my own ability to stay on task, hard work, and determination. I live in WAY more fear of not having a job than doing one over and over...

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,264,478 times
Yes, and it was a living hell for me. The company was good and it eventually morphed into a good position. I was prepared to walk if it didn't turn out though. After 9/11 when the companies were hemorrhaging jobs...

There is a reason I put prefers to "work in a project oriented environment" on my resume.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM

79 posts, read 285,103 times
I'd go nuts doing nothing all day for 7 years.

Counting pills sounds "controlled and stress free." And get paid for it? WoW!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,191,907 times
Interestingly, he had an autistic man who works for him as a pharmacy tech - who absolutely LOVED the repetition of the job! Pharmacy isn't exactly stress free, but it is very tightly controlled. I'd be so bored I'd be crying, but he says knowing someone's life is literally in your hands keeps you a little more focused. Okay, I guess I can see that!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM

673 posts, read 3,135,272 times
I do the same thing over and over every day. It is a little bit different, I work on piping systems for aircraft carriers. I do design work and work on AutoCad and Catia. It is BORING at times but has its moments. The ONLY thing that keeps me going is the fact that my company is paying for my degree in IT. Free education saving me thousands of dollars in student loan debt is totally worth it.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,449,314 times
"Hours of sheer boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror" also sums up what driving a big truck is all about. I LOVE my job! The view out the "office window" is always changing and people do the most interesting things in their cars... Driving through a big city at rush hour is NEVER boring!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,165,952 times
I think that the job can be dull and boring if you are doing something that you dislike, something that you have no passion for. ANd even the best jobs at some point will have a boring aspect but the good makes up for the bad.

I don't like to be bored. I work with kids and have for more years than I like to mention. But the way I keep it interesting is to do different things within the same field. Plus kids always manage to surprise you. And still there are times when I want to herd cats rather than work with kids. It's always something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment